Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So I've been using my mini for 1.5 days now, and I can honestly say that I love it. It's the perfect size and weight. The screen isn't the greatest, but it's more than good enough. I can't see the pixels unless I hold it really close to my eyes.

I've used the Kindle app for some reading, and my eyes were just fine. I use the sepia setting btw.

This is a keeper. I'm glad I bought it and will happily use it until the 2nd gen comes out.

I keep thinking that this was the size that the iPad should have been made in the first place. I had the 1 & 2, and this form factor is my favorite.

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Love my iPad Mini so far.

As for the screen not being retina.

There are two situation I currently see as an issue.

Viewing websites with small fonts like the macrumors forum. Text is too small and hard to read. Increasing the fonts 2 or 3 points makes it much more readable.

PDFs. You can't really increase the font size size it's pre-formated. You can zoom it, but that can get annoying having to scroll and pan.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I firmly believe the iPad Mini doesn't have a retina display because of cost. Apple wanted to keep the price down to compete with the other '7 inch tablets like the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 etc and needed it to be under $399.

If the adorable Mini actually had a retina display, it probably would have been priced at $400 or more which would make no sense because of their other idevices at that price point. They make a big profit since a lot of the parts are cheap.

The retina screen made a big enough difference so I got an iPad 4 instead

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I firmly believe the iPad Mini doesn't have a retina display because of cost. Apple wanted to keep the price down to compete with the other '7 inch tablets like the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 etc and needed it to be under $399.

If the adorable Mini actually had a retina display, it probably would have been priced at $400 or more which would make no sense because of their other idevices at that price point. They make a big profit since a lot of the parts are cheap.

The retina screen made a big enough difference so I got an iPad 4 instead

I would have bought it at $400. The size and weight are the killer features for me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Just got a chance to look at it in person at work. THIS is the reading device I've been waiting for. The screen looks far better than I thought it would be from the way people around here are talking.

I can't wait to get a decent offer on my iPad 3 and make the switch :p

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I've used the mini a lot more since originally posting.

I really do love everything about it except the screen and, while I've become a bit more used to it, it's still mostly a deal breaker for me. I find myself zooming in to read often, and my vision is fine. At a full arm's length, the screen looks great, and gives you a sense of what a retina mini might look like, but who uses their iPad with their arms fully extended?

The CPU is another thing that bothers me. I'm looking forward to some games that are being released soon (Real Racing 3, Infinity Blade Dungeons) and they might not be supported or as good as they'll be on the full sized iPad. It also feels slower, appropriately, than my iPad/ and iPhone.

Part of me wants to keep it, as I've been reaching for it over my iPad and iPhone 5 in the last couple of days but I think the smartest thing to do is to wait for the second generation. I might keep it for commuting though, because using the regular iPad on the subway rubs me the wrong way.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

I really do love everything about it except the screen and, while I've become a bit more used to it, it's still mostly a deal breaker for me. I find myself zooming in to read often, and my vision is fine. At a full arm's length, the screen looks great, and gives you a sense of what a retina mini might look like, but who uses their iPad with their arms fully extended?

The CPU is another thing that bothers me. I'm looking forward to some games that are being released soon (Real Racing 3, Infinity Blade Dungeons) and they might not be supported or as good as they'll be on the full sized iPad. It also feels slower, appropriately, than my iPad/ and iPhone.

Part of me wants to keep it, as I've been reaching for it over my iPad and iPhone 5 in the last couple of days but I think the smartest thing to do is to wait for the second generation. I might keep it for commuting though, because using the regular iPad on the subway rubs me the wrong way.

Return it, if you have doubts now why settle? You should be fully satisfied at a price of $329.

zurichuk

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I also took a peek in the local Apple store yesterday, after reading the threads on here I was expecting a monstrosity, however having seen it, I WANT ONE.

From a iPad 3 retina display owner.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Return it, if you have doubts now why settle? You should be fully satisfied at a price of $329.

You should - but if I was still commuting by subway regularly I'd never take the regular iPad, no matter how much I prefer retina. That's a pretty valid reason for keeping it, albeit grudgingly. Either that or have the N7 as a cheaper tide over till the retina Mini finally comes.

btw, are posters honestly able to read this forum easily in portrait mode on the Mini? Or are you all zooming in, going to landscape or using mobile view/Tapatalk?

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

Infinity Blade Dungeons was shown playing on the iPad 3, so I can see your apprehension. It may not look as good, but it should still play very well.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003

You obviously don't know how the iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini work.

They all have nearly the same performance. The CPU is the same as the iPad2, only the GPU gained 2 more cores to enable it to run the retina display. But that only allows it to run at roughly the same performance of the iPad2. In some cases worse.

The only other spec on iPad3 that is different is the RAM, but more of it is used by the retina assets so it's a toss up, especially in games.

The iPad4 with the A6X is the first real jump in performance since the iPad2 came out. This means developers can't abandon or make the performance on the iPad mini sub-par unless they want the same issues to apply to all the other non-iPad4 models as well.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
By all means discuss but don't sensationalize. The thread title and the label of "unusable" is pretty over the top don't you think?

Exaggeration is in full swing around here, I argued with several who insisted that "horrid" was accurate and not an exaggeration. "Horrid."

I'm almost 100% certain that if there were no reporting of screen resolutions and people were ignorant of the concept (which much of the public actually probably is), that none of the people running around saying "it's the worst screen ever, it burned my retinas to look at it and now I'm blind for life" (how was that?<giggle>) would ever be so negative. Just like a bunch of grease monkeys standing around staring at a neighbour's car engine decrying it because it's "only got a 2 barrel carb" (and of course completely ignoring any other details of the car, like the carb is the *only* feature that actually matters).

It's a good thing the girlfriends and wives of these negative nellies don't run around comparing their features in the same way! :eek:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Exaggeration is in full swing around here, I argued with several who insisted that "horrid" was accurate and not an exaggeration. "Horrid."

I'm almost 100% certain that if there were no reporting of screen resolutions and people were ignorant of the concept (which much of the public actually probably is), that none of the people running around saying "it's the worst screen ever, it burned my retinas to look at it and now I'm blind for life" (how was that?<giggle>) would ever be so negative. Just like a bunch of grease monkeys standing around staring at a neighbour's car engine decrying it because it's "only got a 2 barrel carb" (and of course completely ignoring any other details of the car, like the carb is the *only* feature that actually matters).

It's a good thing the girlfriends and wives of these negative nellies don't run around comparing their features in the same way! :eek:

it is my no means a bad screen, but once you have seen a retina or even an HDTV, you have to be blind as a bat to not notice the difference.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Ok. I have been seeing a a lot of negative posts on this forum. Don't they have the right to express their opinion without being told about the starving in Africa and how they are entitled rich people. I hate negativity. But just because someone has a negative view on something does not constitute calling them entitled or ungrateful. If you don't like to hear the other side of a story, then don't read this forum. . Oh, and I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my mini :)

It's not the negativity so much (though some delight in it), it's the use of exaggeration and hyperbole that is ridiculous. Also, the number of people that didn't even check out the device before buying it I find very strange - how many people would walk onto a car lot, buy a car, drive it off and around the block and then take it back and demand all their money back? Obviously a car is different, but would they if they could? Is that responsible consumerism?

i love how everyone feels they have this inside knowledge.

Yeah, perhaps Arn should rename this site, "MacFacts." ;)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
It's not the negativity so much (though some delight in it), it's the use of exaggeration and hyperbole that is ridiculous. Also, the number of people that didn't even check out the device before buying it I find very strange - how many people would walk onto a car lot, buy a car, drive it off and around the block and then take it back and demand all their money back? Obviously a car is different, but would they if they could? Is that responsible consumerism?

Yeah, perhaps Arn should rename this site, "MacFacts." ;)

exactly I waited till the Apple Store had them went in and handled one myself, the screen was fine on that size device, and then I got to realize I wanted a Black one when I originally was going to get a white, and an LTE version. So everyone should go check one out before they order or buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.