Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Why now the screen doesn't rotate in all orientations?
When orienting the iPhone 5 upside down in portrait mode it doesn't rotate.
Also when will screen lock will work in landscape mode?
I hope that with Scott Forestall out of the picture these get fixed soon.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Has the iPhone ever rotated in all directions? I don't recall it ever being able to flip upside down on any model or iOS version. I don't have the 5, so I could be wrong about that, but it would seem odd that they'd allow it on that and not the rest.

That said, I've always used it's inability to turn a full 180 as a makeshift landscape lock. Just make sure that the top of the phone is lower than he bottom and it won't go to portrait.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
The iPhone home screen doesn't rotate on any side, except portrait. Some apps can be in ANY orientation -not all of them. Mostly 3rd party ones too.
Definitely not Scott Forstalls fault.

As for the landscape orientation lock... I don't know. Hopefully soon because I would love that too.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have all the iPhone models except the 4S and all of them rotated in all conditions.
Shot a picture, see it and try showing to to others in any orientation/rotation. These were commercial material in the original iPhone to highlight the accelerometers and screen orientation feature.

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I have all the iPhone models except the 4S and all of them rotated in all conditions.
Shot a picture, see it and try showing to to others in any orientation/rotation. These were commercial material in the original iPhone to highlight the accelerometers and screen orientation feature.

The home screen and lock screen do not rotate on the iPhone.

Apps rotate on a per app basis if they support rotation or not.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The home screen and lock screen do not rotate on the iPhone.

Apps rotate on a per app basis if they support rotation or not.

Safari and the photos used to rotate all around, now portrait mode is limited to having the home button at the bottom, if you try to have the phone upside down it doesn't rotate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.