Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Istat is in a league of its own. Why are you done with bjango?

A reasonable question. I LOVED iStat Pro, and have been using it since 2007.

1) The developers have stated that they will no longer support it. There are fixes for now, but I'd rather have a permanent solution going forward (the next 5 years). Small hacks are understandable for intermittent OS X updates, but again they are DONE supporting iStat.

2) I have tried both iStat Menus and MiStat, and feel neither is a viable substitute. Hence I am done with bjango. (for the record it isn't the cost, i'd happily pay the same money for a supported version of iStat Pro).

3) I have a hard time sticking with a company with poor transparency. What happened to iSlayer.com? All the sudden it disappears with no words from the developers? Why doesn't it redirect to bjango? Why doesn't bjango have some kind of reference to it?

Sure this is extreme for some people tastes, but its the same reason I'm done with Netflix. Change is fine, but you need to get in front of it, own up to it, and be transparent.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
A reasonable question. I LOVED iStat Pro, and have been using it since 2007.

1) The developers have stated that they will no longer support it. There are fixes for now, but I'd rather have a permanent solution going forward (the next 5 years). Small hacks are understandable for intermittent OS X updates, but again they are DONE supporting iStat.

2) I have tried both iStat Menus and MiStat, and feel neither is a viable substitute. Hence I am done with bjango. (for the record it isn't the cost, i'd happily pay the same money for a supported version of iStat Pro).

3) I have a hard time sticking with a company with poor transparency. What happened to iSlayer.com? All the sudden it disappears with no words from the developers? Why doesn't it redirect to bjango? Why doesn't bjango have some kind of reference to it?

Sure this is extreme for some people tastes, but its the same reason I'm done with Netflix. Change is fine, but you need to get in front of it, own up to it, and be transparent.

Fair enough. I use istat Menus myself and there is no other app that even comes close so i have no choice really.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Fair enough. I use istat Menus myself and there is no other app that even comes close so i have no choice really.

hahaha and I'm using a modified version of iStat Pro because just like you "I have no choice". And that drives me CRAZY. I'm not trying to stage a boycott or anything, just wondering if anyone has found a better solution.

The thing is basically plugging into activity monitor, is there really no other solution out there? (I've spent the afternoon trying and have come up empty)

So back to the origional thread title:

iStat Pro Replacement????
Is there one? Or who wants to build one with me? I'll fund it if you know how to build it. The App Store is lacking in selection...

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the pointer f00f and the script kbmb! I'm now seeing my external IP perfectly. I don't seem to see any in/out data. Should that be tweaked somewhere else?

I have the same issue. Any ideas on how to get the in / out data to display along with the graph?

AllenH

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
It seems my network in and outs aren't working. The fix for external IP worked fantastically! Thank you! And so did the PS fix as well. [Can anyone confirm the grep -e replacement? I didn't try that one yet.]

So- only thing left is the darned network in bytes and out bytes graph. Did I mess something up here? (is everyone's working?)

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I originally tried to put the small php file on one of my servers. It worked, except that normally we access our own websites over a VPN, so it returned the VPN address.

So to get it to work with my own server, I had to substitute the IP address of our server instead of the DNS name, because that way it does not go over the VPN, and the actual external address is used.

darkiller

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
woots, thanks to everyone here for all the tips! yeah for me its not that istat menus can't do the stuff istat pro can, its just that my menu bar is WAY too cluttered with a million things already, i prefer it on my dashboard.

here's the widget with all the tweaks and updates suggested in this thread. i only got iStat pro though

Attachments

• iStat Pro.wdgt.zip
    1 MB · Views: 9,455

Oblivion426

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
woots, thanks to everyone here for all the tips! yeah for me its not that istat menus can't do the stuff istat pro can, its just that my menu bar is WAY too cluttered with a million things already, i prefer it on my dashboard.

here's the widget with all the tweaks and updates suggested in this thread. i only got iStat pro though

Thank you for posting this.

ipsg

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a completely working iStat nano

With the Processes and IP address fix :D

Attachments

• iStat nano.zip
    906.4 KB · Views: 1,284

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland

Cheers Stephen

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Thanks, ipsg! for the nano widget. It's so strange that my version for the external IP didn't work even with the listed fixes in this very thread.

RickT1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012

I joined the forum tonite just to say THANKS! Still on Lion 10.7.5, really missed the Ext IP info, the change from islayer to bjango web site fixed it.

Bazonga

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for these awesome fixes !! - iStatPro runs just fine now under ML !

btw. instead of Buduls processes-fix I used Mr. Zorg's replacing egrep "PID|$1" with grep -e "PID" -e "$1".

twomorewishes, though unresolvable i guess:
BatteryStatus for MagicMouse (works with MightyMouse only)
BatteryStatus for Magic TrackPad

Last edited:

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Thanks for making this available guys. The download from Apple's page isn't working anymore and I wanted this again on my 2012 iMac so you helped me a lot with that ZIP attached.

iamJay

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
My new Apple wireless keyboard does not show up in iStat Pro. :confused:
But it work fine with my Magic Mouse, Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance. :)

ajanini

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil

Thanks darkiller!

lukecro

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
NYC
It's easy to fix iStat Pro processes for Mountain Lion

Steps:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets
2. Right click it and select: "Show Package Contents"
3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

Change "PID|$1" to "PID| $1" (Add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed

Genius, thanks! This has been bothering me for months - I finally started Googling around today to see if an iStat Pro widget update would be coming soon or not, saw this thread and was disappointed to learn that the developers had abandoned their widget . . . . And then saw this very simple fix. Two seconds in Text Edit with the wide.js file and iStat is working like a charm again. Since the fix is this simple, it's silly the developers don't update the code themselves and release an update. If nothing else, iStat Pro is a good promotional vehicle for their paid apps. Thank goodness for Buduls and MacRumors delivering the answers.

bepeacock

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Little Rock, AR
Created an account just to say "thank you" for the processes and IP fixes.

Like another poster, I too do not see the network in and out traffic. Curious if anyone has tackled that issue?

lxc

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Correct permissions?

I changed the code in the wide.js, tall.js (for the processes) an the core.js (for the external ip).

Now I keep getting this entry in the system.log everytime I call the dashboard:
WindowServer[103]: _CGXSetWindowHasKeyAppearance: Operation on a window 0x559 requiring rights kCGSWindowRightOwner by caller Dashboard

This happens until I "uninstall" the iStat Pro-Widget.

Does anybody know the correct permissions for these files? Mine are (after the changes):
ls -la
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 20712 19 Feb 14:53 Tall.js
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myusername staff 22782 19 Feb 14:51 Wide.js

Since the permission and the ownership does not differ from the other files, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any hint,
lxc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.