Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:31 PM   #26
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Thats what happens when you license your OS out to any phone manufacturer.

I'm surprised the number is that skewed though, doesn't Apple have a firm hold and a huge lead on the tablet market?
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:48 PM   #27
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Wanted to show this to the forum. According to the IDC, Android smartphones now account for 75% of the mobile devices out there. IOS market share rose to just 14.9% of the whole market in the same quarter. Franky, I was very surprised to hear this report. Even as an Android fan I expected Apple to have a way bigger share of the market than what they currently have. With the massive growth of Android over the previous year that went from 57.5% of the market in Q3 2011 to 75% in Q3 2012, Apple aught to be very scared at this point.

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23771812
Android smartphones account for 75% sold in the last quarter, not the % of smarthphones that are in the world. And what did you expect? A boom in iP4S sales at the end of its shelf life? You'll see a boost in iPhone sales in Q4.

And before you get too excited, the count was for smartphone mobile OS marketshare, tablets apparently not included.

Another study, Wikipedia reference =(... reported that roughly 70% of Android devices are on Gingerbread or older as of Nov 2. Yes that accounts for tablets, as well.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:02 PM   #28
MikeAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWarrior25 View Post
We are in the middle of the mobile wars. Just like the computer wars, there will be times when things look bad for either side. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I agree with you about where we are at in the mobile tech world. Smack dab in the middle of it. I already know how it's going to play out though. Much like the PC wars, it's going to be Microsoft or Android for the win. Reason?...Because Apple charge their customers a premium while M$ and Droid offer a great product at a much lower price point. The majority of the population live on a budget and must stay within that limit. When they can get a comparable product for almost half of what Apple charges it's going to seem obvious for them. Yes Apple makes a great product and yes they may be better in certain areas but at the end of the day all most people worry about is what their bottom line is going to look like. Money talks on both sides of the fence. Apple had a good run but I predict the next 5 years will be very good for M$ and Android whereas Apple will be brought back down to earth.
MikeAK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:24 PM   #29
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
I agree with you about where we are at in the mobile tech world. Smack dab in the middle of it. I already know how it's going to play out though. Much like the PC wars, it's going to be Microsoft or Android for the win. Reason?...Because Apple charge their customers a premium while M$ and Droid offer a great product at a much lower price point. The majority of the population live on a budget and must stay within that limit. When they can get a comparable product for almost half of what Apple charges it's going to seem obvious for them. Yes Apple makes a great product and yes they may be better in certain areas but at the end of the day all most people worry about is what their bottom line is going to look like. Money talks on both sides of the fence. Apple had a good run but I predict the next 5 years will be very good for M$ and Android whereas Apple will be brought back down to earth.
I understand the Nexus 4 unlocked is quite a bargain for the spec sheet. But just so you realize, a 16 gb iPhone 5 is $199, a 16 gb Note 2 is $299, and a 16 gb GS3 is $199. With the GS3 and iP5 most likely outselling the Nexus 4 in overall sales. Not knocking the Nexus 4 as a great developer phone, but the other 2 are marketed much more and have an even better price point. The majority of consumers are not on T-Mo's prepaid plan.

Now, if you're talking about free phones, can't argue there, I mean it's FREE. But I'll still shell out my $399 for a 64 gb iPhone b/c I prefer iOS and iPhone over a free Android 4.1 smartphone.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:36 PM   #30
MikeAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
I understand the Nexus 4 unlocked is quite a bargain for the spec sheet. But just so you realize, a 16 gb iPhone 5 is $199, a 16 gb Note 2 is $299, and a 16 gb GS3 is $199. With the GS3 and iP5 most likely outselling the Nexus 4 in overall sales. Not knocking the Nexus 4 as a great developer phone, but the other 2 are marketed much more and have an even better price point. The majority of consumers are not on T-Mo's prepaid plan.

Now, if you're talking about free phones, can't argue there, I mean it's FREE. But I'll still shell out my $399 for a 64 gb iPhone b/c I prefer iOS and iPhone over a free Android 4.1 smartphone.
Where can you get an iPhone 5 for $199 unlocked with out a contract? Most places I've looked at require a 3 year contract on a minimum of $$ a month. You make it sound like the iPhone is comparable in price. No where close. You can take a Nexus($299 unlocked) and go with any server you wish. No contract no worries.
MikeAK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:06 PM   #31
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
Where can you get an iPhone 5 for $199 unlocked with out a contract? Most places I've looked at require a 3 year contract on a minimum of $$ a month. You make it sound like the iPhone is comparable in price. No where close. You can take a Nexus($299 unlocked) and go with any server you wish. No contract no worries.
The average consumer is not going to buy a phone unlocked. I am willing to bet Nexus 4 will sell a good amount, but nothing comparable to iPhone or Samsung's GS3. The average consumer will get their smartphone subsidized. On top of which, using the US as an example, Verizon is the US largest mobile provider. People won't flock to AT&T and T-Mo just because Google Play offers a comparable unlocked phone.

It seems that you are arguing that Nexus 4 will become the world's top selling smartphone, when I have serious doubts it will come close to Android's own GS3 or Apple's iPhone 5. Let alone there are other competitors like the Razr Maxx, One X, and Windows Phones to consider. There might be a handful of people on this forum who say ya, an out of contract high spec GSM phone is the best value on the market, but it's price point is not the only factor consumers have in mind.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:16 PM   #32
Thegolem
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Wanted to show this to the forum. According to the IDC, Android smartphones now account for 75% of the mobile devices out there. IOS market share rose to just 14.9% of the whole market in the same quarter. Franky, I was very surprised to hear this report. Even as an Android fan I expected Apple to have a way bigger share of the market than what they currently have. With the massive growth of Android over the previous year that went from 57.5% of the market in Q3 2011 to 75% in Q3 2012, Apple aught to be very scared at this point.

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23771812
It was inevitable. Apple must have known something like this would happen because it happened with the PC's market. Chances are that within 10 yrs the iPhone and ipad will, unless they licence iOS, have the same kinda market share as the Mac has compared to Windows PC's. Obviously things are very different now with the head start AApple have got with itunes and the whole ecosystem but if people can buy cheaper devices then they will. I'd love to know just how much Apple strategists are thinking about this or if they're even going to try and compete or Just do what they want. I.e selling intergrated products at the high-end of the market and hoping enough people stick with it.
Thegolem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:17 PM   #33
MikeAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
The average consumer is not going to buy a phone unlocked. I am willing to bet Nexus 4 will sell a good amount, but nothing comparable to iPhone or Samsung's GS3. The average consumer will get their smartphone subsidized. On top of which, using the US as an example, Verizon is the US largest mobile provider. People won't flock to AT&T and T-Mo just because Google Play offers a comparable unlocked phone.

It seems that you are arguing that Nexus 4 will become the world's top selling smartphone, when I have serious doubts it will come close to Android's own GS3 or Apple's iPhone 5. Let alone there are other competitors like the Razr Maxx, One X, and Windows Phones to consider. There might be a handful of people on this forum who say ya, an out of contract high spec GSM phone is the best value on the market, but it's price point is not the only factor consumers have in mind.
Where and when did I say the Nexus 4 will become the worlds top selling smartphone? Where did I even mention anything close to that? Did you even read my original post?... you know, the one you quoted? I spoke about how price will always be the driving force in most people's buying decision. Android and now soon to be MS offer a solid product at a much lower price point which will only help out their stance.
MikeAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jensen Beach FL
Of that 75% market share lets look at OS version breakdown that tells the real story here...

54% aren't even running the newest devices.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/01...ean-up-to-2-7/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	374488  
Scrub175 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #35
Thegolem
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I hope we're not saying the same things about Apple in 5-7 years time. Without Jobs they have not convinced me they are in innovate mode. Rather they appear to be in retrench, hunker down and let's play prevent defense mode.
Considering it takes up to 3 yrs for some plans to come to fruition Steve's absence won't really be telling till another few phones and pads IMO.
Thegolem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #36
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
Where can you get an iPhone 5 for $199 unlocked with out a contract? Most places I've looked at require a 3 year contract on a minimum of $$ a month. You make it sound like the iPhone is comparable in price. No where close. You can take a Nexus($299 unlocked) and go with any server you wish. No contract no worries.
You pointed out that Apple charges a premium for their product and then proceeded to quote a $299 out of contract price, namely Nexus. Nexus 4 is the only phone offered at that price point. I argued that the average consumer (in the US at least) is more likely to go with the Big 3 and sign a 2 yr contract to get their phone subsidized (or even any one of the other smaller carriers) instead of buying a unlocked Nexus 4 and taking it to T-Mo to get their prepaid plan. On top of which Nexus 4 will have to compete w/ Samsung's marketing of the GS3 and Note 2 (which aren't exactly budget friendly.

Take that all into account, and the average American is looking at a subsidized 16 gb iPhone for $199... T-Mobile isn't suddenly going to skyrocket to the top b/c they offer cheap prepaid plans. The big 3 aren't suddenly going to lose market share b/c the Nexus can now be purchased on and used on T-Mo. The argument that Apple charges a premium and will drive away their customers is a moot point b/c the competition prices their products close to what Apple is offering.

I guess I was drawing a conclusion about the Nexus 4 becoming the top smartphone. I was trying to point out that price is 1 consideration, but even among its competitors the iPhone is competitive when subsidized.

Sorry to people not in the US, I am not all too familiar w/ how mobile networks work around the world so I only point to how ours works in the US.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:56 PM   #37
Thegolem
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
Doing the same stuff they did when they got spanked by MS in the 90's. As smart as Jobs was and as good as his vision was on a final product, that vision was very limited, and was his weak spot.[COLOR="#808080"]

.
If the only alternative is to licence the OS and that made him unhappy then he'd b fully aware of the consequences and just do what he wanted to do it. After all there's more to life than just raking in cash. He might have been able to make More money selling toilets but he wouldn't start spending his time doing that would he? James Joyce might have been able to make a fortune selling penny dreadful's but he wanted to spend his life writing high-art that no one could make head nor tall of and barley made a penny!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmunjal View Post
If you're a customer (which I assume you are), the lower the profit is the better for you since you're getting a better deal.
Not if you look at it from the perspective of wanting to,sort of by proxy,fund the innovation you want to see Apple investing in. The money Apple gets now,well some of it comes back to us a few years down the line as new tech. It's kinda like mass pot-luck product commissioning!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
The majority of the population live on a budget and want to stay within that limit.
*fixed*

People wanna save money on devices so they've got more money for other things...in a lot of instances those other things are crap like alcohol, fags and drugs...snacks...crap like that! I.e crap they don't need to sAve money for!

Last edited by Thegolem; Nov 2, 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: U
Thegolem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:03 PM   #38
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fags are a must for some people, i quit 8 months ago
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #39
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God
 
entatlrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
There's what 200-300 Android devices out there compared to a few iPhone models? Why is anyone surprised? Add in free and cheap phones, carriers and cell shops/big box stores pushing Android hard with no let up in sight the market share will grow even more.

Just imagine if Apple ever decided to compete in price, and give the same margins to resellers as other manufacturers do, not just with the iPhone, but tablets and Mac's too. It would upset EVERYTHING ... then we could discuss market share ... I doubt Apple could keep up with the demand in any of the three categories.
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:02 PM   #40
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
There's what 200-300 Android devices out there compared to a few iPhone models? Why is anyone surprised? Add in free and cheap phones, carriers and cell shops/big box stores pushing Android hard with no let up in sight the market share will grow even more.

Just imagine if Apple ever decided to compete in price, and give the same margins to resellers as other manufacturers do, not just with the iPhone, but tablets and Mac's too. It would upset EVERYTHING ... then we could discuss market share ... I doubt Apple could keep up with the demand in any of the three categories.
I will love if apple does these, but even in the hardest times they never bow down.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:03 PM   #41
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
There's what 200-300 Android devices out there compared to a few iPhone models? Why is anyone surprised? Add in free and cheap phones, carriers and cell shops/big box stores pushing Android hard with no let up in sight the market share will grow even more.
Right. Its the same with PC sales. MS dominates the market because there are tons of manufacturers putting out tons of Windows machines. Toshiba, Sony, Dell, Asus etc...Apple only makes one model desktop and one model laptop. Same with phones.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:21 PM   #42
Sacird
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern, VA
dont think the sarcasm would go over well. deleted.

Last edited by Sacird; Nov 2, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:28 PM   #43
Dmunjal
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
I will love if apple does these, but even in the hardest times they never bow down.
Their stock would crater as well.
Dmunjal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:21 PM   #44
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub175 View Post
Of that 75% market share lets look at OS version breakdown that tells the real story here...

54% aren't even running the newest devices.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/01...ean-up-to-2-7/
Even with older Android OS versions, Android still has such a dominant market share.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:39 PM   #45
diegoesk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Some people go crazy for the amount of cash apple have but you gonna think for how long they can keep with that (selling for hight profit) when the competition is selling for less and superb devices, most likely you will see iphone users making the change to other phones than the opposite.
I made the switch and I'm never looking back
__________________
Thanks for showing the "light"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...92&postcount=1
Samsung Galaxy s3. Currently testing a Razr Maxx HD
diegoesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #46
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoesk View Post
I made the switch and I'm never looking back
I'm making the switch but would return if apple turns things around. I have no loyalty to any company. Whoever provides the best phones for my needs gets my money. Apple isn't doing that right now.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:11 PM   #47
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Yes dont know why is the fanatics for companys, my first smartphone was a iphone the 3g and then iphone 4 and now 4s but hell no i wont pay 800 bucks for the iphone 5; not worth it coming from the 4s.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #48
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Its 75 percent worldwide.
bobenhaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 PM   #49
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I'm making the switch but would return if apple turns things around. I have no loyalty to any company. Whoever provides the best phones for my needs gets my money. Apple isn't doing that right now.
Same here. I'm excited to see what Ive will unveil with iOS 7. Though, I fear, the changes will be primarily cosmetics with upgrades to Maps, Siri, and the addition of a few new features that everyone else already has.

I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised. iOS 7 needs to bring it. With Windows 8 and Android 4.2, iOS has never looked so stale and behind as it does currently.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:10 AM   #50
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
As good as that sounds lets keep it real. Google would rather be have Apples profits and revenue, than Android's 75% market share right now.

Apple going to lose the market share race and that's a fact, but IMO this isn't going to turn out like how Apple lost to Microsoft with the PC's. Even though Android has the larger marker share iOS is the choice of developers. iOS destroys Android when it comes to payout to developers. If Android becomes the OS of choice for developers iOS users should be worried, but until then who cares.

Android users should be upset that they have 75% market share yet Apps are still being made first for iOS or iOS is getting the better apps of the two OS.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Market Share Dips Slightly as Android Increases Lead in Global Smartphone Race MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 259 Feb 3, 2014 01:57 PM
Android Dominates Nearly 80% of Smartphone Market, iOS Drops to 13% Share MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 524 Aug 25, 2013 05:09 PM
Android and iOS Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market as Windows Phone Shows Signs of Life MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 260 May 21, 2013 04:45 AM
Samsung and Apple Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market, But iOS Market Share Falls MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 141 Feb 20, 2013 07:48 AM
Apple Sets New High with 53.3% of U.S. Smartphone Market, Android Holds Strong in Europe MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 210 Jan 4, 2013 07:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC