Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Without a doubt not the best. Mine is going back. :(

Display did not cut it for me. In the end even the size did nothing for me. Give me a full size iPad. My three will retire to the bedroom while the 4 LTE, when it arrives later this month, will be my main pad.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
So you've owned a bunch of Apple phones, Apple tablets, and one competitor product and that qualifies you to make a "best product there is, period." statement?

Ok.

It's almost as if people have different opinions, tastes, and expectations.

The OP can only speak for his or herself. Relax.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

How is having a slower processor and lower res screen better than the 3rd and 4th gen iPad? I got mine yesterday, love the design and form factor but unfortunately for my needs, the larger screen and better display gets more work done on the go. But for my girlfriend who needs something to read books, surf the web in bed, and read/write cooking recipes in the kitchen, it's the perfect gift.

Side note: I'm also in Pasadena too by the way!

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The OP is still "high" from his new purchase. I was too.... But it it wore off quickly. Back the mini goes! Bring on the 4 LTE:p

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
Without a doubt not the best. Mine is going back. :(

Display did not cut it for me. In the end even the size did nothing for me. Give me a full size iPad. My three will retire to the bedroom while the 4 LTE, when it arrives later this month, will be my main pad.

Gl traveling with that big thing

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Well, I guess we should be thankful that you're here to definitively judge who is being dramatic and who is sincere (and then agree with or dismiss their opinions accordingly).

Gotta love the trolling hypocrites. :p

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I love my iPad mini so far.

I would love it more if it had a retina screen and GPS at the $329 price.

ME Nick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Colorado
I agree. This tablet is exceeding my expectstions.

It's been a while since I've been this enamored by a product I've purchased.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Or maybe people just have varying opinions and expectations.

The people who immediately dismiss the people who don't like the device are just as annoying as the people who immediately dismiss people who like it.

My friend at work just bought a Kindle Fire HD. I have a Kindle (bog standard style, which I love). While I considered the Kindle Fire HD and B&N Nook HD I dismissed them. I never really wanted an Android device, I merely thought that a higher resolution screen would be the defining criterium of mine in a new device. I detest Google and everything it stands for or is about (I say this, btw, on an Apple fan forum, not an Android fan forum).

Continuing my story, I dismissed these other devices namely because I am invested in iOS and Apple quality, which includes the number of iOS applications I have purchased, but also the user experience and quality of hardware I have come to know in Apple products in the past ~30 years.

While I (may) think of Android as not as good as iOS (again, I only say this on an Apple fan forum according to my own criteria), I would never dream of telling my friend that his device sucks. While I (may) think that my device is great, I don't for a moment think that his decision was bad or wrong. He made it based on what his criteria are. He was so excited about his purchase and I find one of the best things in life is to be experiencing someone's excitement about *anything* in life. Why in the h*II would I ever quash that excitement? It would do nothing more than make him feel bad about his decision in an effort to what, make me feel superior? That's not me, and I don't fault him in his decision, and I most certainly don't feel superior in my love or choice of Apple products.

So, why is it then on this forum, for Apple fans, that some feel (who may include themselves in this Apple fan group) it's acceptable to deride, criticise, attack, ridicule, scorn, etc. people who are excited about Apple products, or worse, to come here to defend those who attack Apple fans in any way.

I'm not for a moment saying that there shouldn't be discussion and dialogue and challenge about technology related to Apple (that's one of the big reasons I'm here), but what I am saying is that if you are here to make yourself feel better for not choosing or wanting products or technology *we* Apple fans want or choose, then go va te faire enculer.

I would love it more if it had a retina screen and GPS at the $329 price.

That is a fair statement.

This tablet is exceeding my expectstions.

Ditto!

Last edited:

CarlElvis

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
The number one thing to get right on a tablet is the display, all other factors come second. The fact is there are cheaper tablets with better displays out there.

This is Apple. At this price we should have gotten BETTER displays than the competition, not worse.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Out of the iPhones 5 is definitely the sexiest. Comparing all Apple devices i'd say the mini is the sexiest.

----------

The number one thing to get right on a tablet is the display, all other factors come second. The fact is there are cheaper tablets with better displays out there.

This is Apple. At this price we should have gotten BETTER displays than the competition, not worse.

They aren't better. They have higher pixel density. The android tablets have higher pixel density but lower color saturation. So the colors look washed out when compared to a mini.

----------

I agree. This tablet is exceeding my expectstions.

I never really cared about mobile development until i got this new mini iPad. Im going to start work on a mobile website.... To pass the time. Reading my development books and manuals and websites on this thing is phenomenal.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I thought both Google and Apple stand for exactly the same thing and that is money. Do you think Google stands for something else? What could that be?

Funny how your opinion wriggled its way into my words.

I can play this game too, it's fun, watch this:

Since you used the word "Google" in your post, does that mean you are still a pedophile?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Funny how your opinion wriggled its way into my words.

I can play this game too, it's fun, watch this:

Since you used the word "Google" in your post, does that mean you are still a pedophile?

Yeah that proves that iPad Mini is the best tablet out there.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
4>5? LoLoLoLoLoLoLoL..............

I suspect with some of them that you're absolutely correct. Others are exaggerating and using hyperbole and acting all melodramatic, and a few really aren't happy with the device.

For me I thought my expectations were so high it would at best be acceptable or tolerable as far as devices go, but it actually far exceeded them, so I'm happy beyond belief with this device, more so than I was with my first iPad gen 1.

Well, I guess we should be thankful that you're here to definitively judge who is being dramatic and who is sincere (and then agree with or dismiss their opinions accordingly).

Funny that you accuse WL of this yet he did nothing of the sort. WillLondon said "I suspect" telling the reader that their opinion is some may feel a certain way. WL in no way spoke for all OR passed judgement on anyone, simply stated opinion. So Klover, your post is pretty much filled with fail.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

If you never use the tablet the display wont matter. Form factor is as important as the display and this display is good enough right now. In a year it wont be good enough. I still don't understand why it wasn't included to begin with. Why make people debate about purchasing your product? With a retina display screen this thing wouldve easily been the undisputed best tablet on the market.

akiraboi

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
USA
I find it a stretch to call any one product in a market with so many options the "best out there", I can say that for what I wanted the iPad mini for personally it so far is fitting the bill.

I previously used the iPad 1, 2, and 3 as both a home/travel convenience device and for work. I meet with clients all the time so to be able to store marketing materials and have access to my cloud of other vital documents without printing and dragging around the paper is very convenient. While the iPad 3 is a great device, it was a bit heavier and a little too big for me to be handing across a desk and presenting information on.

By designing the mini to be held easily in one hand with both size and weight (every time I pick up the mini the weight astounds me) it's made it the perfect product for me to use for work. I can now leave the bigger, heavier iPad 3 at home and take the mini out with me on the road. The extended battery life of the mini is also a big plus for this.

Do I miss the Retina display? If I'm looking to scrutinize the screen then yes. Do I feel that the lower resolution makes the mini a bad product? No. It's just a little short of being the perfect product (for me) in my summation. I think that at this screen size approaching the true 250+ ppi of a Retina display would be almost superfluous especially if it came at the cost of weight and battery life. If the iPad mini 2 comes out with a screen closer to 200-220 ppi and maintains the battery life and weight it'd be great.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
If you never use the tablet the display wont matter. Form factor is as important as the display and this display is good enough right now. In a year it wont be good enough. I still don't understand why it wasn't included to begin with. Why make people debate about purchasing your product? With a retina display screen this thing wouldve easily been the undisputed best tablet on the market.

From the wait list on all sizes and colors I would say there isn't a debate about purchasing. I picked up 2 minis but will probably take one back and put the extra $ towards a iPad 4.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Yeah that proves that iPad Mini is the best tablet out there.

Yep, that's exactly what I didn't say.

If ever there was a job as a translator from 'English' to 'misunderstood English', you'd be my first choice.

BTW, I have never, ever, ever said the mini is the best tablet out there. Ever. Not ever.

green tea

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
well that settles all the discussion about the best tablet on the market because the OP said so :rolleyes:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
well that settles all the discussion about the best tablet on the market because the OP said so :rolleyes:

Actually, I think the discussion would be furthered by a bunch of people chiming in on and decrying the suggestion of the OP that he/she believes a *device* is the best out there.

So much joy and happiness must be quashed, so go at it, continue...

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
I went to look at the mini today, and I won't be buying one. For my personal taste, it is too wide, and the screen is too pixelated. My use case for a 7(ish) " tablet is for reading books and browsing, and my N7 fills that gap perfectly. Feels more like a book, and the pixel density makes a big difference.

Having said that, mini is certainly a gorgeous device that could only come from Apple. I have to say that even though I am not a target customer for it, I no longer think that $329 is a crazy price after playing with it. Good job Apple, now please release a Retina mini next year!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.