Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
There will never be microSD in Nexus devices again. Reasons from Google are all over the web.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yip, apparently. Head on to the link I posted if you want an updated spec list. There is more info to be found there.

I'm hoping the camera 'burt shot' mode is just software. Reviews have been saying that it doesn't even take snappy / rapid shots like the galaxy nexus did :(

That link actually doesn't mention AC wifi.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I definitely understand everyone's need for a micro SD slot but I'm wondering if you all have tried the cloud alternatives. DropBox is really nice and integrated in Astro File Manager. I went from a 32gb iphone to the 16gb galaxy nexus. I used most storage for movies and music. Now all my music is from the Cloud with Google Music and movies are transcoded/streamed to my phone. I even went out and bought a Nexus 7 8gb and have no troubles.

I would have jumped on the Nexus 4 8gb if it included the charging dock

I prefer my music and movies on my phone on the Micro card for not having to use a lot of data and no interuptions if i do hit a weak data zone. I do have to call T-Mobile and ask about their proclaimed unlimited data with no limitations. I got that email a few days ago and i have the unlimited up to 2GB.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Some good news regarding the rear camera. The lens is a "Exmor R" IMX111PQ. After doing some searching on the web it seems to be the same one found in the xperia arc model which is the same one that was used in the 4S.

I do not see why reviewers had a delay in actual shots nor why there was a lack of burst mode.

I hope it was down to software as Sony did well with their images in the xperia rance.

i am going to try and email them somehow and tell them they need to include it and their reasons for not including it in this one are weak.

Please do! Even better, find a free online petition site and create a petition and i'll support that!

Post it up on the net and i'm sure many people will support that. Would be great to get the word round...

That link actually doesn't mention AC wifi.

Sorry dude, I don't know. The thread is constantly being updated as more specs of the phone are being released. I just copy pasted it that moment.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I just wanted to add the Optimus G at&t version HAS A MICRO SD CARD SLOT

can't believe this... Here's for hoping a teardown will find a 'hidden' slot in all devices? :eek:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Please do! Even better, find a free online petition site and create a petition and i'll support that!

Post it up on the net and i'm sure many people will support that. Would be great to get the word round...

ok, Its is done. However, i do not have a blog or a website so if anybody does and sees this, please post it there. I have never done a petition before so any input on where or how to insert it someplace to get seen would be a help.

Here is the Petition. You can add your blog or whatever to it if you want or if i have to do it, just let me know and ill enter it in there.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nexusphones/

Here is the widget code if you want to add it to your blog or site if you have one.

<div style="display:block; clear:both; text-align: left; background: #e033ff url(http://www.ipetitions.com/assets/images/widgets/cyan.png) no-repeat top left; width: 200px;">
<iframe src="http://www.ipetitions.com/widget/view/cyan/510150" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" style="width: 200px; height:145px; border:0;" scrolling="no"></iframe>
<div style="text-align:left; font-family:Arial;font-size: 11px; width: 181px; margin-top: -5px; padding: 3px 5px 6px 14px; color: #76009c;">
<a style="color: #fff; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.ipetitions.com/">Petition by iPetitions</a>
</div>

</div>

I didnt see anyplace to contact Google directly by email.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Sorry dude, I don't know. The thread is constantly being updated as more specs of the phone are being released. I just copy pasted it that moment.

Ya but really, nobody supports AC wifi yet.

And do you know if these are going to be on sale at midnight and ship that day? Or does google start selling these differently?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Now I can carry my iPhone one day, and the Nexus 4 another. Loving the prices.

With the Nexus 4 short battery life, you might have to switch to the iPhone mid-day.

----------

I definitely understand everyone's need for a micro SD slot but I'm wondering if you all have tried the cloud alternatives. DropBox is really nice and integrated in Astro File Manager. I went from a 32gb iphone to the 16gb galaxy nexus. I used most storage for movies and music. Now all my music is from the Cloud with Google Music and movies are transcoded/streamed to my phone. I even went out and bought a Nexus 7 8gb and have no troubles.

I would have jumped on the Nexus 4 8gb if it included the charging dock

Try streaming music over "the Cloud" on your cellular data for an hour and tell me how much data it uses.

I tried it out for a couple of days while driving. Not going to be doing much of that.

Your 2GB data plan won't last long.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I pretty much just stream using spotify or rhapsody and sometimes itunes match, 1 year old 4s plus downloading a lot of stuff using hotspot etc etc these is the usage.

ta6yzu2u.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know if I can wait until February to get the Nexus 4 32GB. That's if they even ever make one...

There was a rumor that a 32GB version would be coming later. It was at Androidandme and it was from a guy who correctly leaked everything we know about the Nexus 4 today. So... probably?

I'll try to dig up the article... EDIT: Cannot find. Might have been part of that rumor that Androidandme admitted wasn't true and had to apologize for. So... maybe no 32GB? Hm.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't see why they would have 32GB on the Nexus 7 but not on the phone. But we might have to wait awhile, not sure why Google does it like that. By the way, that 32GB Nexus 7 w/ HSPA+ for $299 is a hell of a deal.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
According to Anandtech, it's really easy to remove the backplate for those who want to replace the battery: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12jze2/nexus_4_battery_may_not_be_so_hard_to_replace_acc/

----------

I don't see why they would have 32GB on the Nexus 7 but not on the phone. But we might have to wait awhile, not sure why Google does it like that. By the way, that 32GB Nexus 7 w/ HSPA+ for $299 is a hell of a deal.

Yeah, I don't get it either. You'll already capture the ones who really want to save money with the 8GB $299 version, why not also offer 32GB for those willing to pay for it. Makes very little sense.

9to5Google says Google may be subsidizing the price of the device from LG in order to hit that low price point. So maybe they're losing money on the device, or at the very most just breaking even? Maybe the cost of the 32GB would make them lose too much per device? I don't know...

http://9to5google.com/2012/11/03/is-google-subsidizing-the-price-of-the-299-lg-nexus-4/

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I don't get it either. You'll already capture the ones who really want to save money with the 8GB $299 version, why not also offer 32GB for those willing to pay for it. Makes very little sense.

If their margins per unit are as slim as everyone thinks, it's to keep costs down.

Each different configuration they offer has a corresponding increase in overhead due to design, testing, manufacturing costs, packaging, documentation and support.

As the product goes through its manufacturing lifecycle it becomes cheaper and cheaper to produce and this decrease in cost then allows them to offset the previously mentioned overheads and offer extra configurations.

It also allows them to keep the retail price below their "magic" number.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yes because 15.3 hours of talktime is a short battery life :rolleyes:
Compare that to the iP5's "up to 8 hours"

Good take!

It may be because he read the early reviews that were based on unfinished software. There's a huge disparity between a number of different reviewers regarding battery life.

Yet another example why Google releasing review units early with unfinished software was a bad move, and exactly to my point that the average person who doesn't thoroughly read or care about "unfinished software" will just see the blemished notch "poor battery" and be put off.

Smooth move, Google.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes because 15.3 hours of talktime is a short battery life :rolleyes:
Why the sarcasm? If you sleep 8 hours a night, then that means you'd have to spend 42 waking minutes not talking each day just to make it through on one charge.

42 minutes!

Basically, you probably need to buy two of the damned things just to make it through unless you're some freak that spends over 42 minutes not on the phone each day.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
ok, Its is done. However, i do not have a blog or a website so if anybody does and sees this, please post it there. I have never done a petition before so any input on where or how to insert it someplace to get seen would be a help.

Here is the Petition. You can add your blog or whatever to it if you want or if i have to do it, just let me know and ill enter it in there.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nexusphones/

Here is the widget code if you want to add it to your blog or site if you have one.

<div style="display:block; clear:both; text-align: left; background: #e033ff url(http://www.ipetitions.com/assets/images/widgets/cyan.png) no-repeat top left; width: 200px;">
<iframe src="http://www.ipetitions.com/widget/view/cyan/510150" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" style="width: 200px; height:145px; border:0;" scrolling="no"></iframe>
<div style="text-align:left; font-family:Arial;font-size: 11px; width: 181px; margin-top: -5px; padding: 3px 5px 6px 14px; color: #76009c;">
<a style="color: #fff; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.ipetitions.com/">Petition by iPetitions</a>
</div>

</div>

I didnt see anyplace to contact Google directly by email.

I have 3 signatures. Maybe this wasnt such a good idea....lol.

Posted the link on Twitter and Android Central in its own thread. A couple of guys told me to quit crying :mad:

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I was pretty interested in this phone since I have been fed up with slow updates from Samsung and/or AT&T on the last few phones. No LTE is a deal breaker though. As other reviewers have said, its just unacceptable for a premium flagship phone to be released with no LTE these days. T-Mobile is awful out here and AT&Ts HSPA is very slow. Switched to Verizon and got the iPhone 5 out of frustration but its working out pretty well so far.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I wish i get those 8hrs of browsing on my 4s, the nexus 4 have a 2100mah battery there must be something wrong on the software side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.