Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
My iPhone 4 on the left, 5 on the right.

Was extremely yellower tinted when I first got it. Now it's almost identical. Note the colors, they are much more intense on the 5 than they are on the 4.

The brightness is even MORE bright than the 4.

It does go away.

I think the right one looks washed, lacks contrast and too yellowish white...

----------

Check the brightness level on your ip4 and set it to 50%

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Ah i see, maybe try to compare it at 50-75%. The ip5 does have more bright screen, but i think at 100%, the colour looks washed.

You just have to see it in person. its almost identical at those brightness settings too. the purple on the itunes App looks dull on my 4, and on my 5 its bright and faceted.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
You just have to see it in person. its almost identical at those brightness settings too. the purple on the itunes App looks dull on my 4, and on my 5 its bright and faceted.

Yes but if you examine the shade effect behind the off word, on the ip5 it looks washed, that is why i think the brightness is too high at 100%, 50-75% should be enough.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The yellow screens are cheaper and easier to manufacture, so to meet demand theres more of them.

That's a load of nonsense. You do realize that the tint the screen has is largely a function of the tint the backlight LED's have, don't you? Money has got jack to do with it. Screens come from different manufacturers and even differ from batch to batch. And that goes double for white LED's. And easier to manufacture? How are warmer tinted screens easier to manufacture?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You mean whites were not as blue as they were on the 4s. Anytime I have ever heard someone reference white as "brilliant" and even a screen as "brilliant", it is set to a cold (incorrect) color temp.

No, I said white. Yellow, nicotine stain tint on a pure white background is not 'correct color' temp. This excuse is tired, like the glue is drying. There are blue screens, not applicable in my case.

----------

That should be obvious, yet in some circumstances, assuming uniformity across the display, it can become somewhat subjective. Things like differing native white points between device generations due to panel choices can really throw people off as they have the tendency to compare new and old devices. Most assume the device they've been using to be "correct", which further complicates the issue. Even if everything new hit the old semi - ubiquitous sRGB description, which is warmer than a lot of devices on the market today, whites shouldn't actually look yellow if viewed in isolation. I mean if you looked at it in a darkened room. If you painted a wall blue and put your phone in front of it, they'd all look somewhat yellow unless you were able to focus on the device.

I am not sure there is a problem with people thinking their older devices are correct. The yellow screen issue has been around for a while, and contrary to some is a real defect. The yellow hue changes the appearance of all colors in a negative way. White backgrounds look dingy, piss colored. Some can't not stop themselves from saying the yellow color on a pure white image is just 'warmer', not true.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
No, I said white. Yellow, nicotine stain tint on a pure white background is not 'correct color' temp. This excuse is tired, like the glue is drying. There are blue screens, not applicable in my case.

----------

I am not sure there is a problem with people thinking their older devices are correct. The yellow screen issue has been around for a while, and contrary to some is a real defect. The yellow hue changes the appearance of all colors in a negative way. White backgrounds look dingy, piss colored. Some can't not stop themselves from saying the yellow color on a pure white image is just 'warmer', not true.

This nicotine stained, dingy whites, are they displaying on a screen with 100% brightness or only when it is less than?

Svend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Mine is yellow too. As soon as I turned it on I noticed it was yellow. I compared it to my old 4 and my wife's 4s, and the iphone 5 is yellow. I guess I'll get used to it, although it looks crappy next to my S3 and my wife's 4s.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I have yet to see an iphone5 that has the same blueish tint as the 4s or 4. I had the same problem and checked out the iphone5 in the Apple stores and they all looked similar having a slight yellowish tint.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I have yet to see an iphone5 that has the same blueish tint as the 4s or 4. I had the same problem and checked out the iphone5 in the Apple stores and they all looked similar having a slight yellowish tint.

Actually the demo 5's at my store were obviously better than what you'd get. Accurate colors and white whites, not fatiguing at 100% brightness. No doubt a higher quality screen. Not necessarily bluish though like the 4/4s.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Just exchanged my (already yellow) iPhone due to a loose home button, and my replacement has an ugly, dingy yellow screen. It's worse than my old one by far, and makes my brothers iPhone 5 look as blue as a 4s in comparison. What's surprising is that I got a week 36...figured they would be giving out all new ones by now. Basically it looks like crap with a lower brightness and harder to read text. So irritated by this utter lack of quality control. Going to do another exchange this week.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I looked at an HTC One X screen today and was simply blown away. It is indeed the best display on the market right now IMHO.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Just exchanged my (already yellow) iPhone due to a loose home button, and my replacement has an ugly, dingy yellow screen. It's worse than my old one by far, and makes my brothers iPhone 5 look as blue as a 4s in comparison. What's surprising is that I got a week 36...figured they would be giving out all new ones by now. Basically it looks like crap with a lower brightness and harder to read text. So irritated by this utter lack of quality control. Going to do another exchange this week.

Exact problem here from day 1. Exchanged three times in one visit with no luck so they said to just try back in a few weeks.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Is mine yellow?

Hi all,

Second post here; I read this entire thread last night and immediately looked at my iP5's screen and determined that mine was not yellow. However, I then checked it side-by-side against an iPod Touch 1G; the difference was night and day. Suddenly, my "white" reminders list was pretty yellow. Later on in the evening, I compared mine to another iP5 and found them to be identical.

At that point, I was pretty bummed over the prospect of returning it only to probably get another one, etc. Today, I decided to check out a bunch of display models at the Apple Store. As much as I am the type of person to be picky about this and not let it go, I found that my iP5's display was nearly identical to every display model in the store.

Now, I'll probably just follow this issue here; I've got AC+ and will definitely use it if necessary. I'm looking forward to hearing others' experiences.

P.S. - I also checked out the iPad mini; sorry, but the screen is a deal-breaker.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Hi all,

Second post here; I read this entire thread last night and immediately looked at my iP5's screen and determined that mine was not yellow. However, I then checked it side-by-side against an iPod Touch 1G; the difference was night and day. Suddenly, my "white" reminders list was pretty yellow. Later on in the evening, I compared mine to another iP5 and found them to be identical.

At that point, I was pretty bummed over the prospect of returning it only to probably get another one, etc. Today, I decided to check out a bunch of display models at the Apple Store. As much as I am the type of person to be picky about this and not let it go, I found that my iP5's display was nearly identical to every display model in the store.

Now, I'll probably just follow this issue here; I've got AC+ and will definitely use it if necessary. I'm looking forward to hearing others' experiences.

P.S. - I also checked out the iPad mini; sorry, but the screen is a deal-breaker.

The iPod touch 1st Gen screen is not even comparable to the iPhone 5 with the color gamut. Those screens are when they definitely had more of a blue tint. Bad example.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I received my iPhone 5 by delivery this past Friday, Sept 28th after ordering it at 5am first day CST. I immediately slipped it into it's Otter case which I received the same day. Outside of maps everything is working fine except for a yellow tint I have over the screen. There is a big marked difference when I hold it up to my iPhone 4. I plan to visit the Apple store today regarding this. Has anyone else noticed this problem on your new phone?

url]

I work with iPhone's and have seen thousands of them. One thing that I have noticed is that if you hold two iPhones up next to each other the screens look slightly different. I did a bit of research and found out that there are several factories making the same screen. There manufacturing process can vary from factory to factory and even iPhone to iPhone ever so slightly.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice spots areas on the screen that seem to stand out from the rest of the screen then I'd take it in for warranty.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I work with iPhone's and have seen thousands of them. One thing that I have noticed is that if you hold two iPhones up next to each other the screens look slightly different. I did a bit of research and found out that there are several factories making the same screen. There manufacturing process can vary from factory to factory and even iPhone to iPhone ever so slightly.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice spots areas on the screen that seem to stand out from the rest of the screen then I'd take it in for warranty.

The two black Iphone 5s I have are different when put next to each other. One is very very bright and the other is very very dim and yellow.

I am sending one back and Apple is shipping me another later manufactured one priority.

I hope this one is ok because I am sick of this replacement crap. I am just going to have to "Deal" with whatever I get.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I just bought an iPhone 5 yesterday. I just went outside and noticed a tint yellow. But when I'm in door the screen is bluish.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
This yellow tint seems to be the new norm in the iphone5. After looking at about 40 different iphone5's on display I can honestly say that all have the same warmer or yellowish tint.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Mine is the other way around! The 4S has a warmer tint, while the iP 5 has that cool blue color!!! [ build week: 39 - September ] My rMBP also has a cooler hue, and the iPad 4 is warmer compared to the iPad 3...

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Almost all 5s are warmer, but remember: the 5s on display in the Apple Stores are not nearly as yellow as the yellowest iPhone 5 screen being sold... So no, it's not simply 'more accurate', because not every iPhone 5 screen is the same. Some are worse than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.