Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Today at work I had my iPhone 5 in my front shirt pocket. I bent down to pick something up while I was outside and my iPhone 5 fell out from knee height, if not lower because I was slightly crouched, and landed screen first. It shattered like it was going out of style. I have checked out the threads on here about not using a case and I have even started one questioning the use of a screen protector. I'll tell you this much, you NEED some sort of case. THANK GOD I bought applecare+!!

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_1493.jpeg
    IMG_1493.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 576

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
Well depends,the use of case that is,I have gone completely naked with iPhone 4,then 4S and now 5,and never have suffered a single scratch,even on screen,just have been very careful so as to avoid any kind of damage.Sorry for your loss,though you have apple care+ :D

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I agree, glass is way too weak! They need to start making the screen out of something else.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Well depends,the use of case that is,I have gone completely naked with iPhone 4,then 4S and now 5,and never have suffered a single scratch,even on screen,just have been very careful so as to avoid any kind of damage.Sorry for your loss,though you have apple care+ :D

I'm willing to bet you have had hairline scratches.. no way you were scratchless, honestly :/

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
i'm doing my own scratch tests at the moment since i'm getting a new one tomorrow. WOW! Is it ever weak. It dents super easy too. Next up corner of the table. Anything you guys want me to test out while I got the chance?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
i'm doing my own scratch tests at the moment since i'm getting a new one tomorrow. WOW! Is it ever weak. It dents super easy too. Next up corner of the table. Anything you guys want me to test out while I got the chance?

sure boil it like that asian guy did with his brothers iphone5

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
These events are know as accidents. I don't care how careful anyone is, you cannot be perfect. Sooner or later you're going to drop your phone. It's best to use a good case designed for protection & not just looks.

Or you can do what I do. I go caseless.

I pay myself $20 month, accrued in a dedicated account, when an accident happens, I've got the funds set aside to pay for it, without giving my money to an insurance plan. Being careful, it was many months before I had to use it.

By the time I experienced my first broken glass I had $440 in reserve. I replaced it myself for just under $100. I haven't had an accident since then, currently it's holding well over $1,000. So as you see I'm well ahead of the game without giving my "insurance money" to anyone else. :)

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
These events are know as accidents. I don't care how careful anyone is, you cannot be perfect. Sooner or later you're going to drop your phone. It's best to use a good case designed for protection & not just looks.

I pay myself $20 month, accrued in a dedicated account, when an accident happens, I've got the funds set aside to pay for it, without giving my money to an insurance plan. Being careful, it was many months before I had to use it.

By the time I experienced my first broken glass I had $440 in reserve. I replaced it myself for just under $100. I haven't had an accident since then, currently it's holding well over $1,000. So as you see I'm well ahead of the game without giving my "insurance money" to anyone else. :)

Applecare+ is $100- I'd rather not save $20 a month incase something happens to my phone. lol. I'd rather spend that on the next iPhone, and that would probably still be cheaper

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
I'm willing to bet you have had hairline scratches.. no way you were scratchless, honestly :/

Well seriously,no scratches :cool:,though I have never put my any of these phones down on hard surface,like put it on a cloth on a table or else it stays in my dedicated left jeans pocket.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Applecare+ is $100- I'd rather not save $20 a month incase something happens to my phone. lol. I'd rather spend that on the next iPhone, and that would probably still be cheaper
Learn to pay yourself, learn your math, and you'll be ahead.

Spending is never cheaper like you seem to believe. Once you've got some cash reserves, you'll be glad you do.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Learn to pay yourself, learn your math, and you'll be ahead.

Spending is never cheaper like you seem to believe. Once you've got some cash reserves, you'll be glad you do.

So your saying apple care isn't worth it? Trust me, i save.You make no sense,applecare+ is 100% the way to go. Think of how much the average phone user spends on there phone in a year. take the iphone 5 for example.

$5-$10 for a cheap case until these iphone 5 cases started to come out
$40 for a case once they finally come out ( not even to mention the pric etag of life proof or otter box cases which range from $50-$100)
$10- for an average screen protector. $20 for a good one
Andost people dont only buy one screen protector and case in the life span of their phones. so thats another $50
No add in the price to fix your screen if it breaks once your out of warranty.. That's at least $50.
Then theres at least one headphone replacement. Free with apple care, $35 out of warranty. I'm not even gonna mention that you might wreck your ONE lightening cable.

I'm not the one who needs to learn my math:D

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
So your saying apple care isn't worth it? Trust me, i save.You make no sense,applecare+ is 100% the way to go. Think of how much the average phone user spends on there phone in a year. take the iphone 5 for example.

$40 for a case once they finally come out ( not even to mention the pric etag of life proof or otter box cases which range from $50-$100)
Andost people dont only buy one screen protector and case in the life span of their phones. so thats another $50
No add in the price to fix your screen if it breaks once your out of warranty.. That's at least $50.
Then theres at least one headphone replacement. Free with apple care, $35 out of warranty. I'm not even gonna mention that you might wreck your ONE lightening cable.

Extended warranties and $20 screen protectors? How can I lose???

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I know, it's the glasses fault:D

Lol this is What I was thinking. I mean no offense but you dropped the phone. And it is half glass. If you dropped a glass just about anything from knee height there's a high possibility it would break.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Applecare+ is great I agree. I'm not sure why he knocked your math

I'm a business man and I can tell you all about derivatives.

But long story short you buy "insurance" betting that you'll get your payday.

That's what AppleCare is.

Now, considering it only costs $229, if you don't drop your phone it's worth the $79 risk.

But if you do drop it, go with AppleCare.

And if you are going to do the whole case thing, well, just don't. It's expensive and it makes more sense not to.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Do you have ANY kind of insurance? Or do you self insure for health, auto, life too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.