Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Krupke
macrumors member

Does wifi on iPhone use up my *home* data plan?

This may be a stupid question I can already guess the answer to, but I Googled and can't seem to find a response for it:

I'd like to know if wifi on the iPhone is sucking up bandwidth (that I am being charged for if I go over the cap) from my ISP on my home internet connection? (I'm not conncered about any phone data plan, as I don't have one).

I just discovered radio stations on the iPhone, and I'm wondering how much bandwidth on my home internet connection it will cost me if I listen to wifi-streamed radio all night, on my iPhone? Or a couple of hours a day of watching streamed tv on the Iphone?
Krupke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

No. as long as the phone is using home wifi, you will not be using any of the mobile data plan. Just makes sure you have it turned off in settings / usage. Then whatever you do at home will use the wifi network you have created and will come under the control of any cap placed on you by your ISP.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Krupke
macrumors member

So wifi on the iPhone DOES use up bandwidth on my home ISP account? Does anyone know how much bandwidth I am eating up, if I listen to streaming radio on the iPhone?
Krupke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Lightey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupke View Post
So wifi on the iPhone DOES use up bandwidth on my home ISP account? Does anyone know how much bandwidth I am eating up, if I listen to streaming radio on the iPhone?
Not enough to use up a home data plan. At least I hope not, or you're paying too much for too little.
Lightey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

When you're connected to your home wifi then obviously you're using your homes data amount.
When you're not you're using your carrier data. Either way when you're using data it comes from somewhere and if your home connection measures it then you're using that amount up.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:09 AM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

LOL

if you are connected to your home wifi, and using its connection, what other form of data would you think youre using?? wifi off = mobile data, wifi on = home data. if your ISP has a cap for bandwidth usage, your phone will be using it up just like your computer does. no offense, but yea its a silly question.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:38 PM   #7
gw0gvq
macrumors member

2Gb wifi

I have Vodafone as a service provider for my iPhone but what I don't understand is in my package theres 2Gb of Wi-Fi allowance how can this be if they don't provide my home wifi?
gw0gvq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:40 PM   #8
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw0gvq View Post
I have Vodafone as a service provider for my iPhone but what I don't understand is in my package theres 2Gb of Wi-Fi allowance how can this be if they don't provide my home wifi?
Does Vodafone offer wifi hotspots in public places? If so, that is what the 2GB is for.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting