Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanknox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini, MBA, MBP, ATV, iPad and iPhones between myself and my wife. Whilst we have used iTunes Match to consolidate and share our music on all our devices we were looking for a similar cloud solution for our photo libraries and documents. Having investigated around the best solution seemed to be to buy a 2TB Time Capsule and use this as a server for our devices.

I have purchased this and used aperture to consolidate iPhoto libraries and share between devices. It has taken patience and some considerable time but this is now in a good place.

Question 1
With all files consolidated we can now free up space on the MBP and MBA to aid their performance (we don't really use the Mac Mini now). We now want to backup the Time Capsule server to ensure that we don't lose anything here. I have purchased a second 2TB Time Capsule to perform this function but at the moment I can't find an option in Time Machine to back up a Time Capsule to another Time Capsule - How can I perform this function? Is there another application that will schedule a straight copy of the server?

Question 2
When connecting to the Time Capsule server you need to physically connect to it - should I be using the Mac Mini as the gateway to these files and have this in a passive state for the ATV and the MBA / MBP to share and connect with. Can anyone share an optimial architecture for this and what setting to use - file sharing?

Thanks for you patience and help - I am a networking novice and it has taken me some time to get to this point. Please keep jargon to a minimal and use language for dummies!! :)

Dean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.