Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You mean up to 15.3 hours of talktime based on what google says or real world test?

4 hr web browsing time on the nexus 4 compared to 8 hr web browsing time on the iPhone 5.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review/2

Is there a reason why Google list battery life for the nexus 7, but not the nexus 4?

Id say because it isnt a finished final OS yet on the N4 and the reviews you do see say that. Even that link says it was over 6 hours, not 4.
You can have your small screen iP5 and its subpar updates the last two years.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Id say because it isnt a finished final OS yet on the N4 and the reviews you do see say that. Even that link says it was over 6 hours, not 4.
You can have your small screen iP5 and its subpar updates the last two years.

Unfinished final OS? Less than 2 weeks before released?

Why bother sending out review units with unfinished final OS?

4 hours on 3G versus the 8 hours on LTE for iPhone 5.

Both Engadget and Anandtech says Nexus 4 is about half the battery life of the iPhone 5 when running games or web browsing.

You can talk for 15 hours for Nexus 4. What's the point of the 4.7" screen again if all you do is talk? ;)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Thats what they say. Why they are giving reviews, i dont know. I guess because it is cool to be the first to give a review even if it isnt accurate because the OS isnt final yet. And why they are releasing an unfinished OS out to be reviewed is also lame.
And that is why im not going to get it the day it is available. ill wait for a few reviews with the finished product. If it comes in better than my GS3, ill get one since they are cheap for an unlocked phone and i think my GS3 battery is pretty good.

Both Engadget and Anandtech says Nexus 4 is about half the battery life of the iPhone 5 when running games or web browsing.

You can talk for 15 hours for Nexus 4. What's the point of the 4.7" screen again if all you do is talk? ;)

Yeah, but Ill care when they give the review with the final OS. Til then, the numbers dont mean a thing. But i will say..it didnt say 4 hours on that link. It showed over 6 hours so ill assume it will be better when it is finished.

Honestly i dont care what the numbers are for the iPhone. Im not interested in buying one at all. It could say it can browse for 24 hours straight and im not interested in buying one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

Do more research.

Many reviews, including Anandtech have said that Google handed out review units with unfinished software (yes, weeks before launch) to them. This is the culprit behind the puzzling benchmark tests and the huge disparity between different reviews regarding battery life (The Verge said the battery life was great, for example).

Think about it. It makes no sense. The LG Optimus G which has the same exact specs, and same exact battery size and technology rates much higher with the same benchmarks and battery tests. The Nexus 4 with the same hardware doesn't even come close. So what's the difference? It's the software. And more specifically, the unfinished software.

Google will have this all ironed out before release. The software build they sent with the review units didn't even include some of the features that will be in the final build (like the widgets in home screen feature or the multiple user login accounts for tablets).

Dumb move by Google to release review units with unfinished software, if you ask me.

Regarding the talk time, that's just how battery life is measured. Just like "Miles Per Hour" you don't always drive in exactly one hour increments, do you? "Talk" and "Stand by" time is just how batts are measured.

----------

That's not really useful if you want to change batteries throughout out the day though.

No questions there.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Thats what they say. Why they are giving reviews, i dont know. I guess because it is cool to be the first to give a review even if it isnt accurate because the OS isnt final yet. And why they are releasing an unfinished OS out to be reviewed is also lame.
And that is why im not going to get it the day it is available. ill wait for a few reviews with the finished product. If it comes in better than my GS3, ill get one since they are cheap for an unlocked phone and i think my GS3 battery is pretty good.

Yeah, but Ill care when they give the review with the final OS. Til then, the numbers dont mean a thing. But i will say..it didnt say 4 hours on that link. It showed over 6 hours so ill assume it will be better when it is finished.

Honestly i dont care what the numbers are for the iPhone. Im not interested in buying one at all. It could say it can browse for 24 hours straight and im not interested in buying one.

So you believe Google is going to double the battery life in less than 2 weeks?

I don't have your confidence in Google.

The phone needs to be finalized and sent to manufacturing so they'll have millions available on released date.

51300.png

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Does anybody knows the battery life of the Optimus G?

Engadget's review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/lg-optimus-g-review-a-quad-core-powerhouse-with-nexus-aspiratio/

Performance and Benchmarks:

"Let's make one thing perfectly clear: the Optimus G is a performance beast. our benchmarks, the Optimus G slots right between our reigning champions -- the global Galaxy S III (ICS) and the Galaxy Note II (Jelly Bean) -- for most tests, while handily beating both with the best Quadrant score we've ever recorded for a handset (7,628) and barely lagging behind in AnTuTu (11,284)."

Battery Life:

"Our standard battery rundown test involves setting the brightness and volume to half, using 4G in a 75 percent or better signal area, enabling GPS and WiFi (not connected) and disabling Bluetooth while looping a video from a full charge until the battery is drained. AT&T's Optimus G ran for eight hours and 43 minutes; Sprint's lasted seven hours and 53 minutes on 3G (LTE off); and our Korean phone kept going for eight hours and 40 minutes on 2G (LTE and HSPA+ disabled). In our moderate battery usage test, which consists of using a handset lightly from a full charge until it shuts down -- emailing, texting, checking social networks, making a few brief calls, taking some pictures, etc. -- all three review units went on for almost 20 hours. "

fJitS.png

Again, the disparity in benchmarks and battery tests between the LG Optimus G and the Nexus 4 is the software.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Iphone 5 8hrs ? Is that true ? I find hard to believe; doest it have the same battery as the 4s.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Iphone 5 8hrs ? Is that true ? I find hard to believe; doest it have the same battery as the 4s.

Its actually a bit smaller. Im talking like 24 mAh smaller.

----------

Engadget's review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/lg-optimus-g-review-a-quad-core-powerhouse-with-nexus-aspiratio/

Performance and Benchmarks:

"Let's make one thing perfectly clear: the Optimus G is a performance beast. our benchmarks, the Optimus G slots right between our reigning champions -- the global Galaxy S III (ICS) and the Galaxy Note II (Jelly Bean) -- for most tests, while handily beating both with the best Quadrant score we've ever recorded for a handset (7,628) and barely lagging behind in AnTuTu (11,284)."

Battery Life:

"Our standard battery rundown test involves setting the brightness and volume to half, using 4G in a 75 percent or better signal area, enabling GPS and WiFi (not connected) and disabling Bluetooth while looping a video from a full charge until the battery is drained. AT&T's Optimus G ran for eight hours and 43 minutes; Sprint's lasted seven hours and 53 minutes on 3G (LTE off); and our Korean phone kept going for eight hours and 40 minutes on 2G (LTE and HSPA+ disabled). In our moderate battery usage test, which consists of using a handset lightly from a full charge until it shuts down -- emailing, texting, checking social networks, making a few brief calls, taking some pictures, etc. -- all three review units went on for almost 20 hours. "

Again, the disparity in benchmarks and battery tests between the LG Optimus G and the Nexus 4 is the software.

Lets hope they get it all ironed out in time. But im still going to wait ti l they do...lol. Those numbers would be pretty damn good for a 4.7" screen phone. And im also talking speed numbers.

My GS3 gets good battery life and i wont have to turn off any bloatware on the N4 :D

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
@vegastouch are you serious ? Wtf what is the 4s doing with the battery then lol unless these reviews are bs but i still doubt someone gets 8hrs of straigh browsing on a iphone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Lets hope they get it all ironed out in time. But im still going to wait ti l they do...lol. Those numbers would be pretty damn good for a 4.7" screen phone.

I don't blame you one bit for waiting.

Google fumbled with these early review units. And the result is precisely what I said would happen to some people. These early reviews will turn them off. Both the average consumer who will likely never give the Nexus 4 a second glance and the more tech-savvy who are now cautious of the device.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
@vegastouch are you serious ? Wtf what is the 4s doing with the battery then lol unless these reviews are bs but i still doubt someone gets 8hrs of straigh browsing on a iphone.

Yeah the iP4s battery is 1420 mAh and the iP5 is 1406..something like that. It is longer than the iP4S battery but slimmer and why they can make the iP5 phone thinner but the rating of it is a bit smaller. I read it on a review site that tore the iP5 apart. It may even be less of a gap. It could be the iP5 has a 1410. I forget but it was just a bit smaller than the iP4S battery.
Some sites say it is slightly bigger..less than 10mAh and some say it is smaller. Either way, there isnt much difference.

As for the reviews...i dont know. I dont have a iPhone to compare.

----------

I don't blame you one bit for waiting.

Google fumbled with these early review units. And the result is precisely what I said would happen to some people. These early reviews will turn them off. Both the average consumer who will likely never give the Nexus 4 a second glance and the more tech-savvy who are now cautious of the device.

Well if they get it ironed out beforehand, ill get it when it comes out or shortly after.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Do more research.

Think about it. It makes no sense. The LG Optimus G which has the same exact specs, and same exact battery size and technology rates much higher with the same benchmarks and battery tests. The Nexus 4 with the same hardware doesn't even come close. So what's the difference? It's the software. And more specifically, the unfinished software.

Can you share some LG Optimus G battery test for web browsing from your research?

The Engadget test was for LG Optimus G running ICS and not quite sure what it means in real word results.

So far I've found the the LG Optimus G has the same poor battery results as the Nexus 4 on web browsing.

The Galaxy S3 is similar to the Nexus 4 in specs and also have about the same poor battery results as the Nexus 4 in web browsing test.

Is the Galaxy S3 also running unfinished Android OS?

Last edited:

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

Can you include a title? Or a sentance up top that just says " PETITION AGAINST CAPPED NEXUS STORAGE "

or something?

cause I know many peolpe aren't going to bother reading the whole thing so hopefully you can grasp their attention with a good title. Also maybe it should say "SIGN PETITION" or something.

1 more thing, can you change the I to We as it seems much more appropriate.

Not sure if you should keep the whole thing short and sweet or keep in the content that mentions the back plate in exchange to make the device cheaper.

Just my opinion!

Edit: This petition doesn't show any results! :(

Ya but really, nobody supports AC wifi yet.

And do you know if these are going to be on sale at midnight and ship that day? Or does google start selling these differently?

Sorry dude, don't know.

9to5Google says Google may be subsidizing the price of the device from LG in order to hit that low price point. So maybe they're losing money on the device, or at the very most just breaking even? Maybe the cost of the 32GB would make them lose too much per device? I don't know...

Personally I think that the 16gb version is subsidizing the 8gb model if there is any subsidy involved, because I do still see a profit margin made for these phones. Very small but there is one.

I have 3 signatures. Maybe this wasnt such a good idea....lol.

Posted the link on Twitter and Android Central in its own thread. A couple of guys told me to quit crying :mad:

Don't worry about what these people are saying, they could be trolls (google employees lol?) they could be 10 year old kids or whatever.

Stand your ground and support what it is you want.

All we know is that Google is out of order with their 8gb/16gb and we want to be heard. If they don't like it they shouldn't comment and move on IMO.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Battery Life:

So using the Engadget video playing benchmark:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/

iPhone 5: 11 hours and 15 minutes
LG Optimus G: 8 hours and 43 minutes

Naturally, we'd be telling just half the story if we only talked performance. There's an important question that's left: what kind of battery life can you expect? Power is nothing without longevity and, shockingly, the iPhone 5 copes amazingly well. In a day of heavy usage with LTE, GPS and WiFi all enabled, we managed 14 hours and 18 minutes before the phone succumbed to the elements.

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Can you put a link to this test?

Here's one for web browsing:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-g-battery-tests-are-done-here-are-the-results/

Apple iPhone 5: 9:56
LG Optimus G: 5:15

So for web browsing, you are almost getting twice the battery life on an iPhone 5.

Here's for video playback:

iPhone 5: 10:12
LG Optimus G: 7:16

----------

And exactly where are those poor battery tests you talk about?

Or are you just trolling about a device you won't ever buy?

Considering I've own 2 android phones and 2 android tablets?

The battery life sucks on the Nexus 4. Just a fact.

Last edited:

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I prefer my music and movies on my phone on the Micro card for not having to use a lot of data and no interuptions if i do hit a weak data zone. I do have to call T-Mobile and ask about their proclaimed unlimited data with no limitations. I got that email a few days ago and i have the unlimited up to 2GB.

Ahh, I'm connected too wifi a bunch but have AT&T unlimited plan, which they start to throttle me after 3GB. I have a little bit more freedom to download. I mostly listen to music when on the road/on AT&T's network, and Google Music geniously cache's what you recently listened to, using free space on the phone so it's not constantly using data.

It's a $299 unlocked phone with future-proof specs. I would love that too but that's asking for a lot to include the charging dock...

I know! I'm actually unloading on some of the Apple tech I have in my signature. I may end up getting the 8gb after all with my additional funds. I bought the Galaxy Nexus this summer from the Play Store, I'm indulging too much.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
So using the Engadget video playing benchmark:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/

iPhone 5: 11 hours and 15 minutes
LG Optimus G: 8 hours and 43 minutes

Naturally, we'd be telling just half the story if we only talked performance. There's an important question that's left: what kind of battery life can you expect? Power is nothing without longevity and, shockingly, the iPhone 5 copes amazingly well. In a day of heavy usage with LTE, GPS and WiFi all enabled, we managed 14 hours and 18 minutes before the phone succumbed to the elements.

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.

Those are impressive, but you're comparing a 4" phone running a rather simple OS without true multitasking to a 4.7" phone that's running an OS that does more.

The verdict is still out on the Nexus 4 battery life. It doesn't make any sense why it isn't matching and beating the LG Optimus G which has the same exact specs. It comes down to software. And if anyone is in doubt that stock Android on HSPA+ will give you amazing battery life, these are my Galaxy Nexus on HSPA+ numbers from yesterday. I'd say I used the phone moderately:

2Fxbb.png

fAtxk.png

This is running on a smaller battery too (I think 1750 mah). There's no reason why Nexus 4 with better technology, better and larger battery, and with the final stock 4.2 build can't do as good or better.

^^^ all this bickering is precisely why Google fumbled with the early review units.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
With all the bickering on battery life, we all know that a bug or poor software can cause issues with battery life on a phone.

iPhone 4s: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997
Galaxy S III: http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/09/modem-update-galaxy-s-iii-fix-battery-drain/
Nokia Lumia 800: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/nokia-lumia-800-battery-issue-fixed-audio-and-camera-next

We'll have to wait and see if there is anything to fix and that they have fixed.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The battery life sucks on the Nexus 4. Just a fact.

Please explain the disparity in battery life across different reviews? Many have stated it gets them through a full day with moderate use.

Please explain how LG and Google can both claim 15.3 hours talk time and 330 hours standby time if it's not even anywhere near that?

Testing unfinished software is hardly a fact of anything but the results of unfinished software.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
With all the bickering on battery life, we all know that a bug or poor software can cause issues with battery life on a phone.

iPhone 4s: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997
Galaxy S III: http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/09/modem-update-galaxy-s-iii-fix-battery-drain/
Nokia Lumia 800: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/nokia-lumia-800-battery-issue-fixed-audio-and-camera-next

We'll have to wait and see if there is anything to fix and that they have fixed.

Precisely. Apple had to update their macbooks too recently to curb battery drain. I know. I got it on my Air a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.