Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Too bad I can't grab 3G in the suburbs. My dad works in Dallas and gets 3G every day at work.. out here in near-farm land I don't get ****. Not even at school at UTD, haha. Also, we're all on the 5.99 / month T-Zones plan and we get unlimited 3G with that, assuming we can pick it up at all!

I am in Plano area and i get 3G. You can try turning the ENABLE 3G off and on again and check.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I am in Plano area and i get 3G. You can try turning the ENABLE 3G off and on again and check.

Sachse is a ways off. I'll try keeping it on at school more often. Went to the Knox street Apple store today and had 3G the whole time. Felt great!

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Question - I requested a free T-Mobile prepaid SIM to see if I would be able to get 3G in my area, which T-Mobile shows as a refarmed iPhone-compatible area. However, when I put the SIM in, it still pops up as EDGE.

Does anybody know if the prepaid SIM a) has to have money on it for the iPhone to show that it's on the 3G network and b) if not, can the prepaid SIM even access their refarmed network??

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
The wait is killing me I use my iphone as a GPS and edge sucks for that. No where I've been in ga has 3G yet but Atlanta

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Question - I requested a free T-Mobile prepaid SIM to see if I would be able to get 3G in my area, which T-Mobile shows as a refarmed iPhone-compatible area. However, when I put the SIM in, it still pops up as EDGE.

Does anybody know if the prepaid SIM a) has to have money on it for the iPhone to show that it's on the 3G network and b) if not, can the prepaid SIM even access their refarmed network??

If you're in a 3G area it will show 3G even if you're on prepaid.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
what speeds are you guys getting? 4s/5

Oh my god. This was amazing haha. Went to Dallas for a phone swap and got these speeds. Can't wait for LTE next year and for the refarm to hit closer to my home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011
Before I switched to Verizon to get the 5, I had a factory unlocked 4S on T-Mobile and got 3G in certain areas of Bellevue, WA

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
3G on unlocked iPhone 4S on tmobile.

I noticed the 3G indicator a couple of days ago here in Hollywood, FL.

I now get it if I walk to the end of my driveway. The highest speeds in a few tests I performed were 8.11Mbps down, and 1.87Mpbs up.

Adding an interesting note. A Samsung Galaxy S3 also on Tmobile, from the same location wasn't able to manage even 1Mbps down. It got 3+ up. Any ideas as to why?

Changing the testing server corrected the issue with the GS3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I was in Las Vegas this past week and the 3g speeds there were fantastic. Hopefully they'll be here in the Raleigh/Durham area in the next 2 months.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Northern Atlanta suburb of Kennesaw, GA is running on 3G confirmed!
I was able to get coverage around the I75 & 575 areas several times in the last week.

Best speed test so far was 7.63 down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 83

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I noticed the 3G indicator a couple of days ago here in Hollywood, FL.

I now get it if I walk to the end of my driveway. The highest speeds in a few tests I performed were 8.11Mbps down, and 1.87Mpbs up.

Adding an interesting note. A Samsung Galaxy S3 also on Tmobile, from the same location wasn't able to manage even 1Mbps down. It got 3+ up. Any ideas as to why?

Changing the testing server corrected the issue with the GS3.

Thats not bad, hope miami is next :)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
3G confirmed on 8th ave and 42nd street in NYC
Garden city park, long island NY
Fresh meadows, queens NYC
South flushing, queens NYC

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Northern Atlanta suburb of Kennesaw, GA is running on 3G confirmed!
I was able to get coverage around the I75 & 575 areas several times in the last week.

Best speed test so far was 7.63 down.
How did u get a factory unlocked version?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
if you buy a device only att one without contract, it was coming unlocked as of a few weeks ago, no idea if that is still the case.
Can u FaceTime over 3G?

----------

Oh my god. This was amazing haha. Went to Dallas for a phone swap and got these speeds. Can't wait for LTE next year and for the refarm to hit closer to my home.
Looks like your getting Hspa+

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
How did u get a factory unlocked version?

Are you near an Apple store? Call to confirm stock of iPhone 5 in the color and capacity that you want (AT&T version is what I have but I believe any version will actually work).

When you go to store tell them you want to buy it "commitment free" and not to associate any phone number with it (this is something they do in their back screen of software system). Pay full price and poof like magic you have a factory unlocked iPhone 5!!!

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Saw on this site, http://airportal.de/, that 3G service is available about 5-6 miles from my house. I went over tonight to test it and it was really fast. 7.95 mbps down and 1.97 mbps up.

I may be buying a Verizon iPhone 5 tomorrow to use on T-Mobile. Am I correct in assuming that I will have HSPA+ speeds with it where 3G is available with the 4S?

Frank832

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Dont buy a verizon iphone 5 cuz it wont work wit tmobile it will work only on 3g and 4g but not 4g lte buy the one from at&t cuz that one will work good and buy the 1428
Saw on this site, http://airportal.de/, that 3G service is available about 5-6 miles from my house. I went over tonight to test it and it was really fast. 7.95 mbps down and 1.97 mbps up.

I may be buying a Verizon iPhone 5 tomorrow to use on T-Mobile. Am I correct in assuming that I will have HSPA+ speeds with it where 3G is available with the 4S?

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Dont buy a verizon iphone 5 cuz it wont work wit tmobile it will work only on 3g and 4g but not 4g lte buy the one from at&t cuz that one will work good and buy the 1428

Since T-Mobile has no LTE network at this point and wont for about another 8-12 months, it really doesn't matter too much.

Either one should get T-Mobiles HSPA+ 42 if you are in an area that has been refarmed for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.