Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Dick Whitman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
MBA Purchasing Paranoia and Final Questions.

Ok so I'm eagerly getting geared up to purchase my MBA in the coming weeks.

I guess I'm going to go with the 8 GBs of RAM, which means I'm going to have to order online, instead of simply walking into my Apple store and picking one up.

My only fear with ordering a custom MBA is having to possibly exchange it, if need be. Exchanging a custom MBA is a multi-week process, as you all know, and no one wants to deal with that after already waiting weeks leading up to the actual purchase of a device.

Anyway, I called Apple the other day to ask about some things and the gentleman I spoke with gave me his number to call him back when I'm ready to order my MBA. At the time I thought sure, thinking they must get commission, or something, but now I'm paranoid about the whole process. Paranoid that ordering through him may take longer and may result in general logistical problems.

Has anyone order through an actual Apple representative before as opposed to just ordering directly online?

Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen? I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen. Will it be like the iPhone and look noticeably more yellow? Or can I easily change the colors in the settings (without having to download anything else)?

At this point I'm just trying to put aside any last-minute doubts and fears.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; Nov 3, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
So u gonna keep exchanging it until u hit on a Samsung LCD?
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Mito
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Ok so I'm eagerly getting geared up to purchase my MBA in the coming weeks.

I guess I'm going to go with the 8 GBs of RAM, which means I'm going to have to order online, instead of simply walking into my Apple store and picking one up.

My only fear with ordering a custom MBA is having to possibly exchange it, if need be. Exchanging a custom MBA is a multi-week process, as you all know, and no one wants to deal with that after already waiting weeks leading up to the actual purchase of a device.

Anyway, I called Apple the other day to ask about some things and the gentleman I spoke with gave me his number to call him back when I'm ready to order my MBA. At the time I thought sure, thinking they must get commission, or something, but now I'm paranoid about the whole process. Paranoid that ordering through him may take longer and may result in general logistical problems.

Has anyone order through an actual Apple representative before as opposed to just ordering directly online?

Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen. I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen. Will it be like the iPhone and look noticeably more yellow? Or can I easily change the colors in the settings (without having to download anything else)?

At this point I'm just trying to put aside any last-minute doubts and fears.
Look Im tired of this **** and this may help you. I have 2012 13" Air with 8GB RAM. It has LG screen and Im happy. Colours are beautiful even without calibrating it and Im hobby photographer. Im also perfectionist and I sended Air to servis just because some keys didnt seem to need same pressure to push them.
LG is great and I can honestly say that Samsung MAY be just placebo effect.

Hope I helped
Mito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Wokis
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Lg screen is fine. We put up mba screens side by side at work to compare and we couldn't tell much of a difference between lg and samsung, even less so after applying a custom calibration profile.

It's very likely that you'll end up with an LG panel and it's not an accident at the factory that they've put them in some macbooks. They're good panels, should've just done a better job with factory calibration.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 2012, i5-3427U, Intel HD 4000, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD | iPad Mini 16GB White | iPhone 5 32GB Black
Wokis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
As other wrote, that whole Samsung versus LG-debate is the most ridiculous ever. My 2010 Air had a Samsung and my 2012 got the LG. I really can't tell a difference and if ever I prefer the LG. it's really a subjective view on those panels. Some like the Samsung and others the LG. they both have different colors, but you can't really say which one is best.

Id you absolutely want to have the Samsung panel no matter what (placebo I tell you), then I might advice buying a windows laptop or the retina.
Lukewarmwinner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:43 AM   #6
TheRichboy247
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I bought a 2012 MBA base model. It is absolutely great! It performs while doing everyday tasks, actually I am still surprised at how fast my base model is. I wonder how much better a 2.0GHz i7 with 8GB's of RAM will perform. I got an LG display and a Toshiba SSD. I got unlucky I suppose, but it doesn't bother me. Don't let that stop you from getting one. I purchased mine through a store, while it was on sale. I would have gotten 8 GB's of RAM but it doesn't bother me. I say just go for it! You won't regret your purchase. I sure don't!
__________________
I LOVE APPLE! MBA 2012 1.8GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128 SSD. iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
TheRichboy247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:17 AM   #7
Dick Whitman
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRichboy247 View Post
I bought a 2012 MBA base model. It is absolutely great! It performs while doing everyday tasks, actually I am still surprised at how fast my base model is. I wonder how much better a 2.0GHz i7 with 8GB's of RAM will perform. I got an LG display and a Toshiba SSD. I got unlucky I suppose, but it doesn't bother me. Don't let that stop you from getting one. I purchased mine through a store, while it was on sale. I would have gotten 8 GB's of RAM but it doesn't bother me. I say just go for it! You won't regret your purchase. I sure don't!
Awesome and thanks! I was just going to go with the base model with 4 GB of RAM because for the average user the base models from Apple have always been more than adequate. Plus all the reviews on YT, and my own experiences with the base MBA 13", seem to handle fairly intensive multi-tasking absolutely just fine. But everyone on here insists on the 8 GB like it's a very imperative requirement so idk now I've been leaning towards that.
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen? I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen.
You haven't seen any "fuss" since Mountain Lion shipped with an improved default LG calibration profile.

I've seen LG and Samsung screens side by side, and in so far as there is any difference at all, the LG screens are now more colour correct out-of-the-box.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Dick Whitman
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
You haven't seen any "fuss" since Mountain Lion shipped with an improved default LG calibration profile.

I've seen LG and Samsung screens side by side, and in so far as there is any difference at all, the LG screens are now more colour correct out-of-the-box.
Ok awesome, it sounds like it's not as big of an issue as it is with the iPhone 5. Especially since you can change the calibration in the settings. Anyway thanks guys, this is all slowly easing my mind!

Now I just need to decide if I want to order online or through that guy but that shouldn't make much difference either way.
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Ok awesome, it sounds like it's not as big of an issue as it is with the iPhone 5. Especially since you can change the calibration in the settings. Anyway thanks guys, this is all slowly easing my mind!

Now I just need to decide if I want to order online or through that guy but that shouldn't make much difference either way.
I would definitely order through Apple Store, and not by telephone. If you do it yourself you can make sure everything is configured correct before purchasing, and look for possible accessories and what not. Wouldn't trust placing an order with some dude (maybe an intern, who knows?) over the phone - but that's just me
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Dick Whitman
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
I would definitely order through Apple Store, and not by telephone. If you do it yourself you can make sure everything is configured correct before purchasing, and look for possible accessories and what not. Wouldn't trust placing an order with some dude (maybe an intern, who knows?) over the phone - but that's just me
The guy was a customer service rep, said he was in sales for 6 years, but yeah I see what you're saying.
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
The guy was a customer service rep, said he was in sales for 6 years, but yeah I see what you're saying.
Only wrote it 'cause you mentioned some kind of paranoia

Ordering it yourself would be less-paranoi-causing
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:23 AM   #13
TheRichboy247
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Order through the Apple Store. Communication can be hard on phone sometimes. Like someone else said you can make sure everything is correct so you won't have to waste time exchanging it.

Good luck on making your purchase
__________________
I LOVE APPLE! MBA 2012 1.8GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128 SSD. iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
TheRichboy247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchasing Windows for 2013 MBA ShaneBunting Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 8 Dec 8, 2013 03:33 PM
Questions before purchasing iMac imran12 iMac 10 Aug 21, 2013 08:40 PM
Purchasing iphone 5 questions merc070809 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Oct 16, 2012 11:15 PM
Questions about unlocking my 4 before purchasing the 5 (AT&T) Vin365 iPhone 7 Oct 10, 2012 03:39 PM
Going to be making my MBA purchase soon. Final questions lonewolf604 MacBook Air 11 Jul 2, 2012 08:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC