Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1
M0esmac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
15" rMBP or 2012 27" iMac?

Hello,

Can I get some advice here?

My current 13" MBP just doesn't cut it. Mainly of 1280 x 800 resolution (if I'm right). I can't do two tasks at once etc.

I'm currently studying at college and as I see it only includes two things - working with Microsoft Office 2011 and reading / revising from .pdf's. I don't think I will do something more (for college) until September 2013, then my needs could change.
For those needs Macbook Air is enough (lol) but as I said, I want to have resolution for just browsing the web and watching a movie at the same time.

I'm thinking about two things - base 15" rMBP or 2012 27" iMac.
For the same price of 15" rMBP it seems that I could get i7 quad and 2GB GPU inside there (we can't see prices, but I assume it will be something like that).

Any suggestions? I will consider everyone of them!

Thanks!
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.

Last edited by M0esmac; Nov 2, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Is your current 13 too slow? You could buy a monitor for your 13 if you need more real estate. Otherwise I would choose the imac since you already have a laptop
__________________
Silver iPhone 5S 64GB
Surface Pro 128GB Windows 8.1
Hackintosh | i7 | 16GB RAM | 256GB, 24TB RAID
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djlild7hina View Post
Is your current 13 too slow? You could buy a monitor for your 13 if you need more real estate. Otherwise I would choose the imac since you already have a laptop
It isn't too slow but I want to get rid of dual core. It is time for quad core already. I don't want to put SSD in it because I don't think it is worth it as it is 2011 machine. I want to invest in something fresh. And also monitor is considerable, but only Thunderbolt. And I want to wait for new ones to come out. But anyway, your suggestion doesn't really fit me.

Btw I have to sell my Macbook to get ether of those, so again, monitor doesn't suit me.
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tokyo, Japan
So you basically want something new eh? Well they are both powerful machines but the new imac will be better for gaming with that 680mx. That's a toughie since you're almost done with school. Is portability a must have for you? If not, I'd go for the imac
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djlild7hina View Post
So you basically want something new eh? Well they are both powerful machines but the new imac will be better for gaming with that 680mx. That's a toughie since you're almost done with school. Is portability a must have for you? If not, I'd go for the imac
Yeah, basically yeah.
I do not game.

The thing is which fissss me off is that new iMacs goes out just in December. I think now is great time to sell my 13" just because in December everyone will spent money on Christmas etc. and no one buys used machine like a gift.
That means ether I have to go to Apple each 13 days and return machine and get new one and return until it or I have to borrow an iPad from my friend and use it like daily driver for minimum 4weeks which I can't imagine at all.
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tokyo, Japan
You are in quite the dilemma then haha. Yeah I couldn't imagine working on an ipad ever. Who knows when you'll get the 27 with the BTO options either. Guess you're stuck with one choice then if you can't wait
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djlild7hina View Post
You are in quite the dilemma then haha. Yeah I couldn't imagine working on an ipad ever. Who knows when you'll get the 27 with the BTO options either. Guess you're stuck with one choice then if you can't wait
I'm alright with getting new machine until I get my iMac.

Btw I think I will then get base 27". I could then add some money towards maybe 13" Air?

Btw I'm still waiting for suggestions!
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:38 PM   #8
MacSignal
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
rMBP!

It keeps your options open for portability if you evetually need it or want it for school, and it is the best of all the Mac displays. If you decide you want a larger screen later, you can always add an external display later. rMBP has also been out long enough that you know what to expect as far as potential issues.

With the iMac, you are paying $2K to be a field tester and who knows when a BTO computer would deliver? I would definitely let someone else buy that ticket.
__________________
MacSignal
MacSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:45 PM   #9
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSignal View Post
rMBP!

It keeps your options open for portability if you evetually need it or want it for school, and it is the best of all the Mac displays. If you decide you want a larger screen later, you can always add an external display later. rMBP has also been out long enough that you know what to expect as far as potential issues.

With the iMac, you are paying $2K to be a field tester and who knows when a BTO computer would deliver? I would definitely let someone else buy that ticket.
What about 8GB ram in base? Does it slows rMBP down? Because I have trouble with my 8GB here, safari in 4-5hours browsing takes 4.5GB ram itself. Yes, just safari.

I don't want to pay additional 160 (here in the UK, so it is basically $255) for additional 8GB. And then it is 1850 ($3K of Green) if I will get the discount.
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #10
ZacT94
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0esmac View Post
What about 8GB ram in base? Does it slows rMBP down? Because I have trouble with my 8GB here, safari in 4-5hours browsing takes 4.5GB ram itself. Yes, just safari.

I don't want to pay additional 160 (here in the UK, so it is basically $255) for additional 8GB. And then it is 1850 ($3K of Green) if I will get the discount.
I have a base rMBP and it isn't slow at all, even with 8GB RAM. I'd suggest an rMBP and then add a Thunderbolt display when they get refreshed.
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68000
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0esmac View Post
Hello,

Can I get some advice here?

My current 13" MBP just doesn't cut it. Mainly of 1280 x 800 resolution (if I'm right). I can't do two tasks at once etc.

I'm currently studying at college and as I see it only includes two things - working with Microsoft Office 2011 and reading / revising from .pdf's. I don't think I will do something more (for college) until September 2013, then my needs could change.
For those needs Macbook Air is enough (lol) but as I said, I want to have resolution for just browsing the web and watching a movie at the same time.

I'm thinking about two things - base 15" rMBP or 2012 27" iMac.
For the same price of 15" rMBP it seems that I could get i7 quad and 2GB GPU inside there (we can't see prices, but I assume it will be something like that).

Any suggestions? I will consider everyone of them!

Thanks!
When I was in college; I had an iMac that, at the time, was the larger of the two sizes, and I had a white MacBook (back when those were on the market) and really, the iMac did my heavy lifting while my MacBook served all of my portability needs. I have since strayed away from that Mac-ownership model, but for you, it might make sense given that you already have a 13" MacBook Pro that otherwise works fine. You don't need more than the power of one of those for portability's sake, while the 27" iMac will be perfect for your screen real-estate needs as well as anything you would want a quad-core CPU (over the dual-core in your 13" MBP) or discrete graphics (over the integrated graphics in your 13" MBP) for. Given that, I'd do the 3TB Fusion drive (as you can't upgrade it later), and if you are at all caring about gaming performance over the long haul, I'd get the 2GB GTX 680MX (if gaming is not your thing, then the 1GB GTX 675MX will be plenty sufficient).

Really, the 15" rMBP, on paper seems like the better call, but given that (a) you already own a perfectly good 13" MacBook Pro and (b) you have the same viewing area as a non-retina 15" MacBook Pro without either hi-res screen option, only sharper, your physical real-estate concerns might still stand with that machine. Whereas it's hard to complain with a 27" display unless you are in a field that demands more than that on the regular.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch Blue 64GB; 3rd Gen tv; 1st Gen iPad mini Verizon 64GB; Galaxy Nexus
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
I'm back here!

So, since Apple upgraded retinas today, I decided that I need to make a decision.

There is two opinions -
27" iMac base with 1TB fusion
or
15" retina with 2.7GHz, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.

Also, I got 21.5" 1080p screen for free and my current machine is 13" 2.7GHz, 8GB ram as I said before.

If I get iMac - I keep my current MBP. If I get retina - I have to sell my current 13" but I keep the screen.

I will need to do programming in college eventually.

What should I do?

Thanks!
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #13
kensic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0esmac View Post
I'm back here!

So, since Apple upgraded retinas today, I decided that I need to make a decision.

There is two opinions -
27" iMac base with 1TB fusion
or
15" retina with 2.7GHz, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.

Also, I got 21.5" 1080p screen for free and my current machine is 13" 2.7GHz, 8GB ram as I said before.

If I get iMac - I keep my current MBP. If I get retina - I have to sell my current 13" but I keep the screen.

I will need to do programming in college eventually.

What should I do?

Thanks!
first, can you use college software/programs on a mac?

2nd, since your in college, you definitely want something that you can carry around also.

so i would say get the imac and have the laptop at the same time
kensic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:09 PM   #14
M0esmac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
It will run anyways, I have no problem with putting a bootcamp...

I still can't decide... ://
__________________
H.A.T.E.R.S: Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success.
M0esmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:53 PM   #15
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0esmac View Post
It will run anyways, I have no problem with putting a bootcamp...

I still can't decide... ://
DUDE, we are on the same boat!
Base Retina or Base 27 iMac ughhh, and guess what ill be doing programming soon too lol
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
The rMBP seems best for both you guys. I am in grad school and have the rMBP and Thunderbolt Display. Couldn't be happier (or more productive).
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 PM   #17
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
The rMBP seems best for both you guys. I am in grad school and have the rMBP and Thunderbolt Display. Couldn't be happier (or more productive).
I could save money by going with the 8GB. Do u have 8 or 16gB ram? If 8 how is it going? Do you wish you could've upgraded to 16? Also have you seen the new iMacs? They are gorgeous!
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:36 AM   #18
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
I have the 8 GB and it's very fast. I've used my friend's 16 GB and didn't notice a difference. By the way, I used to have an Air and an iMac, and found the syncing between computers to be too much of a hassle, I think a laptop+ display combo is much more convenient.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I don't see how the RMBP will serve you in terms of real screen estate. The resolution is higher, but you are still getting 1440x900 worth of actual screen space, so in practice, you aren't really better off compared to say, a 13" macbook air in terms of what apps you can have side-by-side. The price is also overkill for what you want.

You clearly will benefit from having something mobile, so an imac is less than choice. My advice is to keep your macbook pro, and get an ipad (or ipad mini) to complement it. If you are concerned about the weight, maybe trade your macbook pro for a 13" macbook air?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:19 AM   #20
CJM
macrumors 6502a
 
CJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K.
The 15" Retina will be a beast, however, as people are saying, you don't actually get much more screen real-estate unless you're doing a ton of image manipulation.

I believe you can have it up to 1920x1200 scaled res, however.

And again, unless you're doing some intensive work, like video editing, running multiple virtual machines or gaming, then 16GB will be overkill.
__________________
iPad 3rd gen 64GB Black / iPhone 5 32GB
MacBook Air 2013 13" / i5 / 8GM RAM / 256 SSD
PC: OC'd 3.2-4GHz i7 960 / Windforce GTX 780 / 6GB RAM / 24" + 22" H-IPS / W8 / 240GB SSD / 1.5TB HDD / 2TB NAS
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:44 AM   #21
Suraj R.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
A lot of people, including myself, are in this boat
27" iMac or 15" rMBP?
For the 27" iMac, take the high end model and add a Fusion Drive, it makes it pretty much the same price as the rMBP.

I have a 2008 iMac right now which is really starting to slow down, so the machine I get will replace it. I would definitely go for the rMBP if I would have been able to get the Sony Playstation 24" 1080p LED monitor for $99 on Boxing Day since 24" is more than enough, but since I wasn't able to get that now I'm debating.

Oh also you might want to wait until both machines are updated with Intel Haswell chips later in the year.
Suraj R. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:53 AM   #22
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God
 
entatlrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
The rMBP seems best for both you guys. I am in grad school and have the rMBP and Thunderbolt Display. Couldn't be happier (or more productive).
Do you have the 13 or 15"?
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 AM   #23
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
I have the 15 inch.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 AM   #24
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj R. View Post
A lot of people, including myself, are in this boat
27" iMac or 15" rMBP?
For the 27" iMac, take the high end model and add a Fusion Drive, it makes it pretty much the same price as the rMBP.

I have a 2008 iMac right now which is really starting to slow down, so the machine I get will replace it. I would definitely go for the rMBP if I would have been able to get the Sony Playstation 24" 1080p LED monitor for $99 on Boxing Day since 24" is more than enough, but since I wasn't able to get that now I'm debating.

Oh also you might want to wait until both machines are updated with Intel Haswell chips later in the year.
with fusion would be same price but then the retina mac has the I7 while imac has i5
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:59 PM   #25
Suraj R.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
with fusion would be same price but then the retina mac has the I7 while imac has i5
To make them the same price you could either upgrade to 3.4 i7 or get the Fusion Drive. Anyways the i5 is 3.2 GHz on the iMac where the i7 on the rMBP is 2.4 GHz, and there's barely a speed difference between i5 and i7s (there's one extra thing you can do to an i7, its either hyper threading or overclocking or something of the nature, I'm nor 100% sure right now) so still I'm pretty sure the i5 in the $1999 iMac is more powerful in the i7 in the rMBP.

That being said, if I were to get the iMac, I would get the i7 and a 1TB Fusion drive - if you're spendin $1999 you're already trying to get the top of the line, might as well throw those on for long term endurance and resale value.
Suraj R. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC