Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
Romney, electoral and popular win, by a comfortable margin 15 13.27%
Romney, electoral and popular win, by a razor-thin margin 11 9.73%
Romney, electoral loss but popular win 12 10.62%
Obama, electoral loss but popular win 1 0.88%
Obama, electoral and popular win, by a razor-thin margin 36 31.86%
Obama, electoral and popular win, by a comfortable margin 38 33.63%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:31 PM   #26
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I hope you're being humorous right ? Left of Lenin ?
Ok, you got me. It's not "literally" a communist state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
He/she overlooks the fact that the majority (by a good number) of Californian governors have been Republican.
16 Democrats, 2 Other, and 22 Republicans. So 15% more is a "good number"--check.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._of_California

Assembly has been in control of Dems since 1970 except for 1995-1996. Senate in control of Dems without break since 1970.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...te_Legislature

- Spending has doubled, from $51 billion in 1991 to over $144 in 2009.
- Most progressive income tax system in the nation: 7 income tax brackets.
- Second-highest top marginal rate.
- California has both the highest state deficit in the country and the highest personal income tax.

http://tinyurl.com/bdqnf9c

Don't worry though. Uncle O can help find a way to help blame Republicans for the mess this state is in I'm sure.
jmxp69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:52 AM   #27
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
My other prediction, with 100% accuracy, is that all of these damned political ads will be gone and we won't have to worry about them inundating our ears every other minute of the bloody day.
I'm Thomas Veil, and I approve this message.
Thomas Veil is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:58 AM   #28
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmxp69 View Post
16 Democrats, 2 Other, and 22 Republicans. So 15% more is a "good number"--check.
55% compared to 40% is not a "good number" more?

Pray tell ... what is?

Edit: it's even worse when you add up the number of years in office (from your source). My questionable addition comes up with ~102 years of Republicans vs. ~54 years Democrat.

How's that for a "good number" more?

In my book ... that's a pretty "good number" more.

Check.

Last edited by citizenzen; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #29
JMB1911
macrumors regular

Romney wins big. Republican turnout this year will ensure it. Can't wait.
JMB1911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #30
Sydde
macrumors 68000

They have promised to reduce the taxing burden in the capacity of my inbox by Wednesday. I think I read it correctly.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:53 AM   #31
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
We need to have a coffee together.

How is next Wednesday morning suit you?
It's a deal! Nobody could refuse an offer from John Henry. Right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
Wow. You commit to one position about as good as Romney does! LOL
I will translate for you:

a. Romney has a chance to win big, or just with a small lead

b. If Obama wins, it will be with a small lead

Have fun, we are only making predictions here
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:22 AM   #32
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
55% compared to 40% is not a "good number" more?

Pray tell ... what is?

Edit: it's even worse when you add up the number of years in office (from your source). My questionable addition comes up with ~102 years of Republicans vs. ~54 years Democrat.

How's that for a "good number" more?

In my book ... that's a pretty "good number" more.

Check.
Ah, so change the measure in the middle of the discussion from the number of republican governors to the number of years governors have been in office--got it. Thanks for the clarification. Whatever the case, the Dems in CA are spending the state into oblivion, businesses and citizens are leaving. So much for progressive government. Have fun with that.
jmxp69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:36 AM   #33
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Ok, you got me. It's not "literally" a communist state.

If it was literally communist, and anything like any of the other modern communist states, it would be much better run.

Quote:
16 Democrats, 2 Other, and 22 Republicans. So 15% more is a "good number"
Even if it isn't a "good number" it's hardly as if California is a Democratic paradise.

Quote:
- Spending has doubled, from $51 billion in 1991 to over $144 in 2009.
- Most progressive income tax system in the nation: 7 income tax brackets.
- Second-highest top marginal rate.
- California has both the highest state deficit in the country and the highest personal income tax.
So it's nothing to do with all those ballot initiatives...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:19 AM   #34
leenak
macrumors 68000

I think Obama will win by a comfortable lead. Then again, maybe I have too much faith in people to not vote for Romney.
leenak is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:28 AM   #35
Sven11
macrumors 6502a

Obama definitely.
Sven11 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:00 AM   #36
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Obama by a not comfortable margin, but not "razor thin" either. Maybe like 290-250 or something like that.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #37
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
Obama by a not comfortable margin, but not "razor thin" either. Maybe like 290-250 or something like that.
I too thought 'reasonable' would have been a better word choice.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:17 AM   #38
Prof.
macrumors 601

I think Obama will win the popular vote by a razor-thin margin, and win the electoral vote with a comfortable margin. Unless, of course the GOP plays dirty and commits voter fraud. Then Romney will win both categories.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #39
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ah, so change the measure in the middle of the discussion from the number of republican governors to the number of years governors have been in office--got it.

Quote:
If California weren't guaranteed to vote left of Lenin, it would make sense to campaign there. The state hasn't gone Republican since 1988.
By your own measurement, the following states are also "left of Lenin", with some even further left than California ... which has got to be impossible, right?

Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin

Conversely (by your measurement), if those states are "left of Lenin", what are the following states, "right of Hitler"?

Alabama
Alaska
Idaho
Kansas
Mississippi
Nebraska
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sults_by_state
citizenzen is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:52 AM   #40
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
I think it will be a razor-thin margin, whoever wins.
gramirez2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #41
eric/

Honestly, no idea. I think Obama wins though, but either not by much or a landslide (depends on which polls are right).
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #42
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:

By your own measurement, the following states are also "left of Lenin", with some even further left than California ... which has got to be impossible, right?

Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin

Conversely (by your measurement), if those states are "left of Lenin", what are the following states, "right of Hitler"?

Alabama
Alaska
Idaho
Kansas
Mississippi
Nebraska
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sults_by_state
Highest taxes, highest debt, ridiculous number of govt agencies, budget process nobody can manage, and a democratic legislature virtually since 1970. CA prides itself on left leaning progressive government.

Most states have their problems these days but their citizens and businesses aren't flocking to Texas because the lefties have created such a toxic environment they view these moves as essential to their survival.

All I can say is enjoy the debt, enjoy austerity, and keep the dems in control so CA can be the standard bearer on why excessive government is destined to fail. Californians have nobody to blame but themselves.
jmxp69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:29 PM   #43
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Highest taxes, highest debt, ridiculous number of govt agencies, budget process nobody can manage, and a democratic legislature virtually since 1970. CA prides itself on left leaning progressive government.
So its nothing to do with the ballot initiatives. Its all the Democrats. Got it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #44
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Highest taxes
What?

California ranks 13th in personal income tax (per $1,000), 24th in sales and excise tax (per $1,000), and 22nd in total taxes (Includes property taxes, personal income taxes, and sales and excise taxes. Per $1,000)

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

The only case I've seen that backs up your assertion is if you simply add up the total amount of taxes taken in by the state, which has more to do with the size of the states population and the economy than anything else.

Yes. Big economies take in more taxes than small economies. I'm sure glad we figured that one out.

Quote:
highest debt
What?

Again. If you go by the simplistic measure of total amount, then yes, California has the highest debt. If however you look at that deficit as a percentage of the state's GDP ... a far more accurate assessment than just sum total, then California (20.02%) is in better fiscal shape than the following states ...

Washington — 20.22%
Illinois — 20.28%
Kansas — 20.70%
Nevada — 20.71%
Pennsylvania — 21.52%
South Carolina — 22.51%
Rhode Island — 23.45%
Massachusetts — 24.30%
Kentucky — 25.67%
New York — 27.02%

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...nding_2013pH0d

Quote:
ridiculous number of govt agencies
Ridiculous way to quantify it.

Quote:
budget process nobody can manage
Yet every year they do.

citizenzen is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:47 PM   #45
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

I feel the voters that the ads and polls are aimed for or about will come out to vote Obama no matter what. The voters that will decide this election don't care about issues or hate ads, they will vote the same way they did last election. No persuasion required. The only threat Romney has is to win enough states for the electoral margin to win overall. This election isn't about a particular man or ideals, its the anointed one going through the formality of the re-election process.

I still voted, but this election is not really in the hands of informed voters. I hope my negative attitude is wrong.
Scrub175 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:57 PM   #46
kavika411
Banned

I picked No. 2 - Romney by razor thin. Although I believe it will be days if not a couple of weeks before anything is final.
kavika411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What? ....
Yet every year they do.
no, every year they find a way to get around passing a budget

a 2/3rds majority is required to pass a budget in california which leads to endless absurd games being played, some of which are nothing but extortion, and ultimately lead to a fantasy budget that we have to pretend is real.......and then we do it again the next year

Last edited by Macky-Mac; Nov 4, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #48
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB1911 View Post
Romney wins big. Republican turnout this year will ensure it. Can't wait.
Someone needs to watch Rachel Maddow's show from Friday explaining how when Republicans go into the state of PA at the last minute, that it is a sign of desperation and that they always lose.

You'll want to fast forward it to the 4:30 mark for the PA talk:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#49668788
MadeTheSwitch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:48 PM   #49
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What?

California ranks 13th in personal income tax (per $1,000), 24th in sales and excise tax (per $1,000), and 22nd in total taxes (Includes property taxes, personal income taxes, and sales and excise taxes. Per $1,000)
I'm sorry, second highest tax rate:
California's Top Individual Income Tax Rate Is Second Highest in the Nation
With seven brackets and a top rate of 10.3 percent for those earning over $1,000,000, California's individual income tax has the second highest rate and one of the most highly progressive structures in the nation.

http://taxfoundation.org/state-tax-climate/california
Quote:
The only case I've seen that backs up your assertion is if you simply add up the total amount of taxes taken in...
I have to concede on th highest debt per GDP; however, so many indicators show California at or near the top of some very undesirable statistics: http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives...y-the-numbers/

And there's nothing to be proud of being in the bottom fifth of the nation on debt for an economy and population as large as CA. I don't care enough to do the math, but what percentage of those states in worse shape are predominantly democratic? Looked like most to me. NY and NJ seem to be in the running with CA for highest/worst stats in article after article.
Quote:
Ridiculous way to quantify it.
Ok, this better? Looks ridiculous to me.

California Academic Performance Index (API) * California Access for Infants and Mothers * California Acupuncture Board * California Administrative Office of the Courts * California Adoptions Branch * California African American Museum * California Agricultural Export Program * California Agricultural Labor Relations Board * California Agricultural Statistics Service * California Air Resources Board (CARB) * California Allocation Board * California Alternative Energy and Advanced Transportation Financing Authority * California Animal Health and Food Safety Services * California Anti-Terrorism Information Center * California Apprenticeship Council * California Arbitration Certification Program * California Architects Board * California Area VI Developmental Disabilities Board * California Arts Council * California Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus * California Assembly Democratic Caucus * California Assembly Republican Caucus * California Athletic Commission * California Attorney General * California Bay Conservation and Development Commission * California Bay-Delta Authority * California Bay-Delta Office * California Biodiversity Council * California Board for Geologists and Geophysicists * California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors * California Board of Accountancy * California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology * California Board of Behavioral Sciences * California Board of Chiropractic Examiners * California Board of Equalization (BOE) * California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection * California Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind * California Board of Occupational Therapy * California Board of Optometry * California Board of Pharmacy * California Board of Podiatric Medicine * California Board of Prison Terms * California Board of Psychology * California Board of Registered Nursing * California Board of Trustees * California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians * California Braille and Talking Book Library * California Building Standards Commission * California Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education * California Bureau of Automotive Repair * California Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair * California Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation * California Bureau of Naturopathic Medicine * California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services * California Bureau of State Audits * California Business Agency * California Business Investment Services (CalBIS) * California Business Permit Information (CalGOLD) * California Business Portal * California Business, Transportation and Housing Agency * California Cal Grants * California CalJOBS * California Cal-Learn Program * California CalVet Home Loan Program * California Career Resource Network * California Cemetery and Funeral Bureau * California Center for Analytical Chemistry * California Center for Distributed Learning * California Center for Teaching Careers (Teach California) * California Chancellors Office * California Charter Schools * California Children and Families Commission * California Children and Family Services Division * California Citizens Compensation Commission * California Civil Rights Bureau * California Coastal Commission * California Coastal Conservancy * California Code of Regulations * California Collaborative Projects with UC Davis * California Commission for Jobs and Economic Growth * California Commission on Aging * California Commission on Health and Safety and Workers Compensation * California Commission on Judicial Performance * California Commission on State Mandates * California Commission on Status of Women * California Commission on Teacher Credentialing * California Commission on the Status of Women * California Committee on Dental Auxiliaries * California Community Colleges Chancellors Office, Junior Colleges * California Community Colleges Chancellors Office * California Complaint Mediation Program * California Conservation Corps * California Constitution Revision Commission * California Consumer Hotline * California Consumer Information Center * California Consumer Information * California Consumer Services Division * California Consumers and Families Agency * California Contractors State License Board * California Corrections Standards Authority * California Council for the Humanities * California Council on Criminal Justice * California Council on Developmental Disabilities * California Court Reporters Board * California Courts of Appeal * California Crime and Violence Prevention Center * California Criminal Justice Statistics Center * California Criminalist Institute Forensic Library * California CSGnet Network Management * California Cultural and Historical Endowment * California Cultural Resources Division * California Curriculum and Instructional Leadership Branch * California Data Exchange Center * California Data Management Division * California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission * California Delta Protection Commission * California Democratic Caucus * California Demographic Research Unit * California Dental Auxiliaries * California Department of Aging * California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs * California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Appeals Board * California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control * California Department of Boating and Waterways (Cal Boating) * California Department of Child Support Services (CDCSS) * California Department of Community Services and Development * California Department of Conservation * California Department of Consumer Affairs * California Department of Corporations * California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation * California Department of Developmental Services *

Quote:
Yet every year they do.
Bond ratings for state governments shows California with the lowest rating of any state.
http://www.governing.com/columns/pub...ix-itself.html

And to top that off, Brown had to veto his own party's budget:
"In June, the Legislature, faced with Republican opposition to the tax hikes, passed a budget without them. But Mr. Brown promptly vetoed it, saying the budget contained 'legally questionable maneuvers, costly borrowing and unrealistic savings.'"

"Brown also wants voters to approve tax increases to head off even more cuts to the state’s already decimated education system."

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/new..._09/index.html

Yeah, great budget management going on there. Keep telling yourself that.

Bottom five for cost of living (surrounded by NJ and NY), and bottom four for business friendliness flanked again by NJ and NY.

[Far right column is overall cost of living, third from right is business friendliness] from: http://www.cnbc.com/id/46413848

Again, enjoy austerity. Keep those Dems in office; the rest of the nation needs an example of how not to run government.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	375010  
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:51 PM   #50
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
no, every year they find a way to get around passing a budget

a 2/3rds majority is required to pass a budget in california which leads to endless absurd games being played, some of which are nothing but extortion, and ultimately lead to a fantasy budget that we have to pretend is real.......and then we do it again the next year
This.

This is NOT effective budget management.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues