Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legasafe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
This isn't a complaint, more of a check to make sure it isn't just my iPad..

iPhone only apps seem to render particularly badly on the iPad mini, as in they are heavily pixilated. When I run the same apps on my iPad 3rd Gen sure everything is oversized and not quite retina quality but still extremely crisp.

I know the display isn't retina on the mini but iPad apps only look slightly worse, when opening an iPhone only app there is a drastic jump in quality - is anybody else noticing this / have some science behind why it might be?

Thanks!!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
On the old iPad 1 and 2 was the same ... iPhone apps looks bad. The iPad 3 & 4 have enough pixel (and power) to do some antialiasing/rendering which smoother the border of fonts. Looks actually very useful.
My favorite example is speedtest.net. Looks really nice on retina and really not nice on earlier model (just blow up each pixel)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed anything going from my iPad-1 to my mini running iPhone apps

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The iPad 1 & 2 use the non-retina version of iPhone apps.

The iPad 3 & 4 use the retina version of iPhone apps.

----------

On the old iPad 1 and 2 was the same ... iPhone apps looks bad. The iPad 3 & 4 have enough pixel (and power) to do some antialiasing/rendering which smoother the border of fonts. Looks actually very useful.
My favorite example is speedtest.net. Looks really nice on retina and really not nice on earlier model (just blow up each pixel)

There's no antialiasing/rendering going on. It's just running the higher resolution version of the app. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.