Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oclor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
My 4 year old 15" MBP has been freezing a lot and stuttering way too much on even iPhoto (I quit using Aperture because of the performance). I knew it was time to get a new laptop, and having experienced the glory that is the Retina display in my 3rd gen iPad, I wanted nothing more than a retina MBP.

When the 15" rMBP came out, I was so excited and really wanted one. But I thought that maybe because this screen is so awesome, I could get the 13" (when it came out) and have a much more portable laptop with an awesome screen. Then they announced the 13" rMBP...

I knew that was it. I was disappointed by the specs but I knew I had to have it. I went to the apple store and compared the 13" and 15". I kept thinking about it. With my student discount, it was going to be a $100 difference between the 13" 256gb and 15" 256gb (which btw is also quad core, discrete graphics, ect.).

So I decided to get the 15". I told the guy that was helping me and he sent some sort of signal from his iPad for the sales guy to come help me check out. The sales guy came out and asked me what I was using it for, I told him (web, email, light photo editing). He told me that I wouldn't be using the processing power and that I should just get an air. I tried explaining to him the awesomeness I felt from the iPad's retina display (I have owned the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) but he wouldn't budge. I got pissed off and told him fine let me thing about it.

I realized that I wanted something more portable. The 15" was just way too big. I don't care how light it is, I don't care how thin it is, it takes up a lot of space. So I decided on the 13". Then I looked at the specs and realized that I would be spending $450 more just for the retina display. So I decided to go with the air.

I have had this air for almost a week now and boy am I happy! This thing is awesome! I still get goosebumps every time I see it sitting on my table because of how sleek and thin it is. Even though I got the barebones base model 13" (I plan on upgrading next year cause I hate buying mid-cycle) I think it is performing brilliantly. I couldn't be happier.

I just thought I would share my experience just incase anyone was going through the same thing. The bottom line is this: Sure I wish this had a retina display, but having a laptop this thin and fast with a retina display is probably at least 3 years away. Might as well get this screen with all of the other benefits (which I believe make up for the resolution).

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
My 4 year old 15" MBP has been freezing a lot and stuttering way too much on even iPhoto (I quit using Aperture because of the performance). I knew it was time to get a new laptop, and having experienced the glory that is the Retina display in my 3rd gen iPad, I wanted nothing more than a retina MBP.

When the 15" rMBP came out, I was so excited and really wanted one. But I thought that maybe because this screen is so awesome, I could get the 13" (when it came out) and have a much more portable laptop with an awesome screen. Then they announced the 13" rMBP...

I knew that was it. I was disappointed by the specs but I knew I had to have it. I went to the apple store and compared the 13" and 15". I kept thinking about it. With my student discount, it was going to be a $100 difference between the 13" 256gb and 15" 256gb (which btw is also quad core, discrete graphics, ect.).

So I decided to get the 15". I told the guy that was helping me and he sent some sort of signal from his iPad for the sales guy to come help me check out. The sales guy came out and asked me what I was using it for, I told him (web, email, light photo editing). He told me that I wouldn't be using the processing power and that I should just get an air. I tried explaining to him the awesomeness I felt from the iPad's retina display (I have owned the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) but he wouldn't budge. I got pissed off and told him fine let me thing about it.

I realized that I wanted something more portable. The 15" was just way too big. I don't care how light it is, I don't care how thin it is, it takes up a lot of space. So I decided on the 13". Then I looked at the specs and realized that I would be spending $450 more just for the retina display. So I decided to go with the air.

I have had this air for almost a week now and boy am I happy! This thing is awesome! I still get goosebumps every time I see it sitting on my table because of how sleek and thin it is. Even though I got the barebones base model 13" (I plan on upgrading next year cause I hate buying mid-cycle) I think it is performing brilliantly. I couldn't be happier.

I just thought I would share my experience just incase anyone was going through the same thing. The bottom line is this: Sure I wish this had a retina display, but having a laptop this thin and fast with a retina display is probably at least 3 years away. Might as well get this screen with all of the other benefits (which I believe make up for the resolution).

Agreed! I recently returned my 15" rMBP and just got my 13" Air yesterday. Yes, the screen isn't retina, but my retina screen on the MBP was plagued with issues anyway (screen retention). I don't think the retina screen is completely ready for prime time anyway. I'm very happy with the Air and have no regrets making the switch.
I maxed mine out at 2.0GHz/8GB/512GB

:)

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Agreed! I recently returned my 15" rMBP and just got my 13" Air yesterday. Yes, the screen isn't retina, but my retina screen on the MBP was plagued with issues anyway (screen retention). I don't think the retina screen is completely ready for prime time anyway. I'm very happy with the Air and have no regrets making the switch.

I have been on the fence about these two machines ever since the 15" was announced (been waiting on the 13) and the price premium, screen issues and only slightly better CPU make the 13 inch retina a bit of a waste of money really. The only thing it really has over the 13" air is the retina display, and you're paying a lot for it.

I could understand the price if it came with either a dedicated GPU or a quad core processor, but it doesn't have either and if you were going for power you would have to go with the 15" to justify it in my opinion. But I have had a 2011 cMBP since it came out and think the 15 inch is too big for my needs.

I have decided to go for a refurb maxed out Air, and will probably upgrade when the rMBP goes down in price (or they bring retina to the Air).

I think that in the next 3 years the classic Macbooks will be phased out, and the Air and Pro might even be merged into one line of just an 13 and 15" version as processors get smaller and Apple is able to put pro specs into an Air.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Good guy salesman: screws his company out of $1000 dollars

Yes, but. It's the Ron Johnson approach not the John Browett approach ?
I bet the OP will spend more than $1000 in the future because he was guided to a better solution.

Or, have I missed the irony in the comment ?

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
That's great. I did the same. I was looking at the 15" RMBP and 13" RMBP but got a refurbished 13" MBA i7, 256GB, 8GB

I would say maybe you could have looked at the 13" RMBP if the 15" was too big for you?

The employee trying to sell you a lower priced item makes sense because they don't make commission and they make almost minimum wage. So really their advice is really their own opinion or bias. For instance two years ago I went to upgrade my software at an Apple store to one of the big cat OS and I asked if I needed to buy the full software package at x amount or just a single upgrade for a whole lot less. The salesperson said the full upgrade was BS and just a way for Apple to make money and that I could just go with the cheaper option.

I think the lack of commission and the low pay kind of mellows out salespeople . Yes they love Apple and they are dedicated but they aren't sharks because they have nothing to gain. Would Apple make more money with a commission based system? Who knows really, but I think it would effect the atmosphere of the store since most people coming in just use the store to look and try out new goods and putting pressure on them to buy might just scare them off.

Either way there are a lot of benefits of an air over the new RMBP line. I like the wedge feel and to be .57 pounds or whatever it is does make a difference when traveling or carrying it around. Unless your a hardcore video or photographer you probably will not need a retina. In my eyes the MBA air screen is like 720P compared to 4K resolutions. Yes 4K is superb but putting it on a TV overkill plus there isn't a ton of content optimized for 4K. The same can be said for Retina displays 2560-by-1600 resolution or 2880-by-1800, why do you need resolutions like this on a 13" or 15" screen. Those kinds of resolutions have 2 to 3 times more million pixels then a 1080P screen and remember 1080P is the standard for high definition and is found on TVs that go up to 100". A 60" 1080P TV has a PPI of 36.72 and a 13" MBA has one of 89.37.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

You made a very smart move. Having both myself, the retina is very over rated.

My 13" 2012 MBA is one of the very best Apple laptops, for overall use, that Apple's made in a long time.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
That's great. I did the same. I was looking at the 15" RMBP and 13" RMBP but got a refurbished 13" MBA i7, 256GB, 8GB

I would say maybe you could have looked at the 13" RMBP if the 15" was too big for you?

The employee trying to sell you a lower priced item makes sense because they don't make commission and they make almost minimum wage. So really their advice is really their own opinion or bias. For instance two years ago I went to upgrade my software at an Apple store to one of the big cat OS and I asked if I needed to buy the full software package at x amount or just a single upgrade for a whole lot less. The salesperson said the full upgrade was BS and just a way for Apple to make money and that I could just go with the cheaper option.

I think the lack of commission and the low pay kind of mellows out salespeople . Yes they love Apple and they are dedicated but they aren't sharks because they have nothing to gain. Would Apple make more money with a commission based system? Who knows really, but I think it would effect the atmosphere of the store since most people coming in just use the store to look and try out new goods and putting pressure on them to buy might just scare them off.

Either way there are a lot of benefits of an air over the new RMBP line. I like the wedge feel and to be .57 pounds or whatever it is does make a difference when traveling or carrying it around. Unless your a hardcore video or photographer you probably will not need a retina. In my eyes the MBA air screen is like 720P compared to 4K resolutions. Yes 4K is superb but putting it on a TV overkill plus there isn't a ton of content optimized for 4K. The same can be said for Retina displays 2560-by-1600 resolution or 2880-by-1800, why do you need resolutions like this on a 13" or 15" screen. Those kinds of resolutions have 2 to 3 times more million pixels then a 1080P screen and remember 1080P is the standard for high definition and is found on TVs that go up to 100". A 60" 1080P TV has a PPI of 36.72 and a 13" MBA has one of 89.37.

Where did you get the refurbished from

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

Awesome man, I'm glad everything worked out for you. I'm also looking to snag an Air really soon but I was planning on ordering one online with 8 GB of RAM. How is the base model with 4 GB?

oclor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Boston

I did, and I wanted to buy it, but I realized that the specs were almost identical to the air, so I was going to pay $450 just for the retina display. Not worth it in my opinion since that's almost the price of a brand new iPad.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I would definitely get the Air/iPad combo rather than just a 13" rMBP, not worth the premium imo. Retina is nice, but not ~$500 nice. I have the new ipad along with the 11" Air, and once had an iPhone 4. The Air's resolution is not the best, but that's not where it really shines, I value form factor size and weight over the display, otherwise I would not have chosen the Air.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I am an Air guy, nothing wrong with Macbook pros. But the fit and feel are just right. plus as one of the Apple guys pointed out, most people never even come close to using all the extra this and that of the more beefed up models...if you do fine, than thats a better choice. But to me when it comes to a laptop weight is king.

I mean how many people would buy the RMBPro 13" if it weighed say 15 lbs....I doubt anyone would no matter how clean and clear the screen was.

Plus it is new technology, so you are paying a premium for it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have both sizes rMBP at the moment as well. Which one do you prefer so far? I think I like the 13" Air the most overall, the 15" rMBP second. The 13" retina didn't turn out to be the perfect laptop for me and I was so sure it would.

They are both very nice. With the wide variety of usage scenarios I have due to work, play, personal, etc I don't generally make any attempt to pick one favorite.

It's easier to give an opinion based on usage, so here's my take:

Overall my absolute favorite, for general purpose use is my fully loaded 13" 2012 MBA.

With a PPI of 127 vs 227 for the 13" MBPr, most people would probably choose the retina.

However the thinner, lighter, tapered shape of the MBA makes using it very comfortable. No sharp leading edge like the MBP's, as it tapers down to the work surface.

The MBA non-retina display is very nice. Retina is most certainly finer on a granular level yet it doesn't appeal to me on a laptop the way it does on a phone or tablet.

That said the MBPr 13 & 15 models are nicely compact and lighter than their non-retina counterparts. So once again it's simply about choices.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

I can't buy anything in the Apple store near me. All the items they have are barebones config and I have always had to order it online from Apple.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I don't think the retina screen is completely ready for prime time anyway.

This is so true and I don't think people realise the con of the retina display at the moment. It'll be fine when all apps etc make good use of it, but for now I just think it's hype.

futuredub

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
I have also made the switch from 15" rMBP to a 13" MBA.
The still image quality of the rMBP was great but, at the moment anyway, the hidpi display is a double edged sword.
Really enjoying the air's form factor. Liberating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.