Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello everyone,
I have been reading the forums and looking at people's reactions to the new devices launched by Apple this week. I want to talk about the next generation of iPad hardware, these are not just predictions, common sense, and also roadmaps of future technologies go into this. I also feel that next year will be a bit more impressive too.

The first topic is the 5th Generation iPad. We all know that the full-size iPad is rather heavy because of the huge 42.5 watt-hour battery powering the retina display. The key behind a redesign is in the screen technology. Sharp has been working on a new display tech called IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide). The retina display as it is right now is using old screen tech (amorphous silicon), this is the main problem behind the display. With Sharps technology (which allows light to be pushed through the pixels much easier) Apple can remove the second backlight for the current retina display, and by doing so, fix the bugs in the retina display such as unevenness, all while making the screen power usage significantly lower then even the iPad 2's display. Apple can then shrink the battery to be much lighter and thinner. No doubt the redesign will bring the diamond cut chamfered edges, and also a slate option to the black model. The form factor will be very similar to the iPad mini. As for specs, the iPad 5th generation will retain the A6X, but because of the reduced power usage, will be clocked a bit higher then the 4th generation. The camera will go to 8MP, finally catching up the the iPhone, storage will also be upgraded to 128GB (first time in 3 years).

As for the second generation iPad mini, this one will be getting the retina display using the IGZO display, this will allow Apple to put a 2048X1536 resolution in a screen that size, while still keeping it thin and light (people on the fourms are overlooking this). Chip will be an A6X, but clocked at 800MHz or so for power consumption. Camera will be 8MP, no redesign, and it will stay at 64GB. However, we will see a $30 price reduction, making it $299, and this will FOR SURE boost sales.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 539

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I like most of what you said it's clear you put some intelligent thought into this post. I also enjoyed the image you attached everything you said sounds like pretty realistic expectations. The only thing is I believe the mini will remain priced at $329. Other than that I think you're spot on. Well done.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
When I saw the thumbnail of the image I thought it said "iPad mini with retina display. It's everything we missed on the first one" LOL

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I was thinking yesterday. I wonder if Apple chooses to treat the iPad mini sort of like an iPod Touch and keep it a generation behind the iPhone/iPad in terms of processor & RAM etc.

Also, I think the iPad 2 will be dropped next year. In my opinion, the main reason the iPad 3 was dropped was because it didn't make sense for Apple to be producing 2 different iPads with full size retina display, given the cost of the iPad retina.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Sound good apart from one thing

Very good post from the OP, I think we could well see all of the surgestions apart from ant increase to 128GB. Apple is keen to move data over to the iCloud and keeping storage down helps profit.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
]I was thinking yesterday. I wonder if Apple chooses to treat the iPad mini sort of like an iPod Touch and keep it a generation behind the iPhone/iPad in terms of processor & RAM etc[/B].

Also, I think the iPad 2 will be dropped next year. In my opinion, the main reason the iPad 3 was dropped was because it didn't make sense for Apple to be producing 2 different iPads with full size retina display, given the cost of the iPad retina.

I also wonder about that to since it is an entry level product.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Very good post from the OP, I think we could well see all of the surgestions apart from ant increase to 128GB. Apple is keen to move data over to the iCloud and keeping storage down helps profit.

Although you may be right, apple has a trend of making the flash bigger, the 64GB 4S was launched WITH iCloud.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Very good post, and I agree with most of it.

I don't think the storage will increase though.

The cloud and streaming services will continue to get more and more prevalent in the future, and the requirement for media stored on your device will get less and less as 4G and Wifi capacity increases.

Last edited:

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Very good post, and I agree with most of it.

I don't think the storage will increase though.

The cloud and streaming services will continue to get more and more prevalent in the future, and the requirement for media stored on your device will get less and less and 4G and Wifi increases.

I think that cloud is a good idea, but with capped data plans, it's not at full potential.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think that cloud is a good idea, but with capped data plans, it's not at full potential.

Agreed, but data caps won't always be there like they are now.

We will tell our children that when we were young we were only allowed 1GB of data a month and they will laugh :)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Good post and nice mockup! I agree, but I hope to see the bezels trimmed down too like on the Mini...equally is want I want...the only difference being screen size....as for 128GB storage? I don't think we will see that...

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
OP

Almost correct but the next iPad will not use a A6X. The next SoC will be another custom Apple designed SoC probably Dubbed A7X.

It will contain the new PowerVR Rogue GPU and likely be quad core. I'm guessing that it'll be fabbed at 28nm. Cooling shouldn't be a problem. Most of heat is coming from the dual light bars.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I still think the next Mini will be an A6 and no retina display. I'm hoping it will but have my doubts.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I hope you are right and i'm wrong because I will definitely buy one but a part of me says A6 and no retina.

Retina should be a go but as always it's going to depend on yields to influence cost. Sharp is in dire straits. They need to hit strongly with their IGZO products. AU Optronics also is promoting IGZO which is good because Apple always has to have a second source for parts.

Refresher:

Most displays use an aSi(Amorphous Silicon) backplane. It's a cheap and venerable product but it doesn't do a good job on efficiency.

Apple uses LTPS (Low Temp Poly Silicon) in the iPhone 4/4S/5 . It's delivers great picture and moderate efficiency but it's expensive. Prohibitively when you scale to larger sizes.

enter IGZO. It delivers great color, high efficiency and lower cost as you scale up to larger screen sizes (Check out this 65" AU Optronic IGZO panel)

I'm guessing that with two suppliers of IGZO panels Apple will leverage Sharp and AU Op to deliver Retina in the mini and potentially Macbook screens next year. The goal is to take everything to Retina (iMacs are going to be the hardest).

I think they'll get there. Sharps betting the company on IGZO

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Another interesting question is, what does the upgrade cycle look like now? Historically iPad refreshes have happened in Q1 so that the year looked like this:

Spring: iPads
Summer: Macs
Fall: iPhones

The past few years have been very predictable and obvious in terms of when to and when not to buy due to impending releases. This year was all over the map.

I doubt we'll be seeing new iPads in the Spring. Macs will likely get spec refreshes in the Summer to coincide with Intel's release schedule. iPhone will likely maintain the Sep/Oct timeframe. iPads permanently moved to Fall to coincide with holiday shopping? When does the new/replacement Mac Pro come? Spotify competitor? TV product/service?

A lot of questions heading into 2013.

orangecat

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I agree that the iPad won't be refreshed until fall 2013. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is probable is that when they introduce the retina Mini they'll keep the existing Mini at a lower price, with the retina version at the existing price. Just like they have the iPad 2 and the Retina iPad, I think they'll have the "original Mini" and the Retina Mini, hopefully in 2013, but no later than 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.