Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #126
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face View Post
Why is the iPhone made from cheap glass and cheap aluminum? See, I can make the same argument for Apple too.

Also, anyone who claims the iPhone is made from expensive premium materials is kidding themselves.
But... it costs so much money. It must be premium!
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:27 PM   #127
The Face
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
But... it costs so much money. It must be premium!
I know! It has nothing to do with the £400 profit Apple make on every iPhone 5, it still must be premium!
The Face is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:11 PM   #128
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man... I wonder what you think about cheap plastic now... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #129
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man... I wonder what you think about cheap plastic now... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Same opinion. I hate plastic and the iphone 5c is an abomination. I would never buy it. I would buy the iphone 5s instead if I was in the market.

All samsungs are made from cheap plastic but not all iphones are made from cheap plastic. So no you didn't win.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:40 PM   #130
linkgx1
macrumors 6502a

From what I'm hearing with the reviews, the plastic seems more durable than that of Samsung and LG. Who knows though. Thread started saved his has by saying 'cheap plastic'.

Good save!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:53 PM   #131
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
From what I'm hearing with the reviews, the plastic seems more durable than that of Samsung and LG. Who knows though. Thread started saved his has by saying 'cheap plastic'.

Good save!
Polycarbonate is pretty durable. I've never broken my Samsung phones and I really dislike aluminum backs. Just too damn slippery and I drop them a lot more often.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Sep 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:29 PM   #132
JobsGang
macrumors regular

All plastic phones aren't the same.Htc one x,lumia phones are gorgeous phones.From the hands on reviews iphone 5c feels preety good in hand.
JobsGang is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:31 PM   #133
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

To keep costs low. That's all.
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:29 AM   #134
mclld
macrumors 6502a

I actually prefer the plastic build on electronics. I do not buy electronics for fashion or because they look "cool"
mclld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #135
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Same opinion. I hate plastic and the iphone 5c is an abomination. I would never buy it. I would buy the iphone 5s instead if I was in the market.

All samsungs are made from cheap plastic but not all iphones are made from cheap plastic. So no you didn't win.
Just on the train and two guys here at the same table have an iPhone 5 .. guess what they have .. a cheap plastic case around it .. thank God for premium materials lol
Jibbajabba is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #136
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
Quote:

Good save!
Of course it's more durable! It's made by Apple, using only the finest polycarbonates in the land!*

/s

*And apparently, unicorn &%$# judging by those colors
KentuckyHouse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:09 PM   #137
mellofello
macrumors 6502

Didn't read the whole thread so if this was mentioned before I apologize. Samsungs greatest asset for me is the removable plastic back. Having replaceable batteries, and removable storage is a godsend if you travel like I do. Spending long hours flying international, and sometimes spending days on the road without reliable charging available. I have 3 batteries, at 100% when I leave and that will give me 3 days of GPSing, emailing etc.

When I had the iphone there where multiple times where I was sidetracked for hours waiting for my phone to charge.

Also being able to shoot with my DSLR, removing sd card, and instantly being able to edit, and upload shots allowed me to leave my laptop at home last trip.

The fastest way for samsung to lose me as a customer is to focus on fashion over function, and make their phones unibody without removable batteries.

Good on them for making such usefull plastic devices

This will save your life one day

mellofello is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #138
fredaroony
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You didn't win simply because you are wrong....
fredaroony is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:05 PM   #139
linkgx1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
Of course it's more durable! It's made by Apple, using only the finest polycarbonates in the land!*

/s

*And apparently, unicorn &%$# judging by those colors
I was only joking...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #140
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I was only joking...
Oh, I know. I was just being sarcastic. Sorry if you thought I was being serious.
KentuckyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:30 AM   #141
Goratrix
macrumors regular

Why do people think that cramming components all glued together into a sealed non-repairable enclosure made of fragile glass or scratchable aluminium equals great engineering? For me, this is great engineering:

Goratrix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:27 AM   #142
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.
There is no denying the specs of the high end Android devices have a more impressive list than anything Apple have released.

I think it is a credit to Apple that they are able to focus more on software optimisation on devices that are less tech demanding. This is why Android boasts eye bulgingly good tech specs but focuses less on premium product design, whereas Apple have a premium feel to the device and less thirsty software. Both serve the market and satisfy the needs of the consumer rather well. Is one superior than the other? No. It is always subjective to the individuals needs.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #143
ceva321
macrumors regular

Location: New York City is where my heart is but now living in Delray Beach FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
Whoops. Glass looks nice. Anyway, plastic > metal if a case is used. I think many of us will use a case since protecting the phone for reselling or long term use is more important than the looks (some may disagree). The Nexus 7 looks great in plastic and that comes to show you that design means more than material. Plus with the design techniques we have now, we can make plastic look like metal (i think). So if you dont feel like your tech is less valuable without the metal, plastic is fine.

----------

You are a winner. I'm in the same boat. Give me functionality over "premium feel." My case for my ipad feels more premium than my ipad without it (and it cost $30).
Which case do you own?
ceva321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:37 AM   #144
Timely7
Banned

Well now they've gone with the stitching leather back.... Ugly
Timely7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:41 AM   #145
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Define "cheap" plastic.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:00 PM   #146
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely7 View Post
Well now they've gone with the stitching leather back.... Ugly
Speaking of ugly..

Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #147
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goratrix View Post
Why do people think that cramming components all glued together into a sealed non-repairable enclosure made of fragile glass or scratchable aluminium equals great engineering?
Why do people think throwing similar parts from last year in a funky plastic enclosure equals great engineering? See? The argument can go both ways which makes it irrelevant.

Besides, great engineering goes beyond hardware. I believe iOS software optimization is much better than Android. Not saying Android is bad at all considering I'm going to possibly purchase the Nexus 5.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:41 PM   #148
linkgx1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
Oh, I know. I was just being sarcastic. Sorry if you thought I was being serious.
No, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. I just saw the little [ ] and thought I made a boo boo. I'm good! Apologies are rare 'round these parts!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:42 PM   #149
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. I just saw the little [ ] and thought I made a boo boo. I'm good! Apologies are rare 'round these parts!
:thumbup:
KentuckyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:08 PM   #150
hashholly
macrumors 6502

As sexy as I think the whole glass back / glass + aluminum back are, I would trade my iPhone 5 for a 5C if I could, considering the 5 has to be case kept are your gona have a bad time. It would be nice to go caseless and a good plastic backing would afford me that oppurtunity.
hashholly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices