Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why is the iPhone made from cheap glass and cheap aluminum? See, I can make the same argument for Apple too.

Also, anyone who claims the iPhone is made from expensive premium materials is kidding themselves.

But... it costs so much money. It must be premium!

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man... I wonder what you think about cheap plastic now... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man... I wonder what you think about cheap plastic now... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Same opinion. I hate plastic and the iphone 5c is an abomination. I would never buy it. I would buy the iphone 5s instead if I was in the market.

All samsungs are made from cheap plastic but not all iphones are made from cheap plastic. So no you didn't win.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
From what I'm hearing with the reviews, the plastic seems more durable than that of Samsung and LG. Who knows though. Thread started saved his has by saying 'cheap plastic'.

Good save!:D

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
From what I'm hearing with the reviews, the plastic seems more durable than that of Samsung and LG. Who knows though. Thread started saved his has by saying 'cheap plastic'.

Polycarbonate is pretty durable. I've never broken my Samsung phones and I really dislike aluminum backs. Just too damn slippery and I drop them a lot more often.

Last edited:

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
All plastic phones aren't the same.Htc one x,lumia phones are gorgeous phones.From the hands on reviews iphone 5c feels preety good in hand.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I actually prefer the plastic build on electronics. I do not buy electronics for fashion or because they look "cool"

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Same opinion. I hate plastic and the iphone 5c is an abomination. I would never buy it. I would buy the iphone 5s instead if I was in the market.

All samsungs are made from cheap plastic but not all iphones are made from cheap plastic. So no you didn't win.

Just on the train and two guys here at the same table have an iPhone 5 .. guess what they have .. a cheap plastic case around it .. thank God for premium materials lol

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

Of course it's more durable! It's made by Apple, using only the finest polycarbonates in the land!*

:rolleyes:

/s

*And apparently, unicorn &%$# judging by those colors

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Didn't read the whole thread so if this was mentioned before I apologize. Samsungs greatest asset for me is the removable plastic back. Having replaceable batteries, and removable storage is a godsend if you travel like I do. Spending long hours flying international, and sometimes spending days on the road without reliable charging available. I have 3 batteries, at 100% when I leave and that will give me 3 days of GPSing, emailing etc.

When I had the iphone there where multiple times where I was sidetracked for hours waiting for my phone to charge.

Also being able to shoot with my DSLR, removing sd card, and instantly being able to edit, and upload shots allowed me to leave my laptop at home last trip.

The fastest way for samsung to lose me as a customer is to focus on fashion over function, and make their phones unibody without removable batteries.

Good on them for making such usefull plastic devices

This will save your life one day

100-original-samsung-galaxy-note-2-ii-battery-desktop-dock-charger-junelaw-1210-19-junelaw@5.jpg

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

You didn't win simply because you are wrong....

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Why do people think that cramming components all glued together into a sealed non-repairable enclosure made of fragile glass or scratchable aluminium equals great engineering? For me, this is great engineering:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.
There is no denying the specs of the high end Android devices have a more impressive list than anything Apple have released.

I think it is a credit to Apple that they are able to focus more on software optimisation on devices that are less tech demanding. This is why Android boasts eye bulgingly good tech specs but focuses less on premium product design, whereas Apple have a premium feel to the device and less thirsty software. Both serve the market and satisfy the needs of the consumer rather well. Is one superior than the other? No. It is always subjective to the individuals needs.

Whoops. Glass looks nice. Anyway, plastic > metal if a case is used. I think many of us will use a case since protecting the phone for reselling or long term use is more important than the looks (some may disagree). The Nexus 7 looks great in plastic and that comes to show you that design means more than material. Plus with the design techniques we have now, we can make plastic look like metal (i think). So if you dont feel like your tech is less valuable without the metal, plastic is fine.

----------

You are a winner. I'm in the same boat. Give me functionality over "premium feel." My case for my ipad feels more premium than my ipad without it (and it cost $30).

Which case do you own?

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Why do people think that cramming components all glued together into a sealed non-repairable enclosure made of fragile glass or scratchable aluminium equals great engineering?

Why do people think throwing similar parts from last year in a funky plastic enclosure equals great engineering? See? The argument can go both ways which makes it irrelevant. :p

Besides, great engineering goes beyond hardware. I believe iOS software optimization is much better than Android. Not saying Android is bad at all considering I'm going to possibly purchase the Nexus 5.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
As sexy as I think the whole glass back / glass + aluminum back are, I would trade my iPhone 5 for a 5C if I could, considering the 5 has to be case kept are your gona have a bad time. It would be nice to go caseless and a good plastic backing would afford me that oppurtunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.