Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analogman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Hi all, my first post on here.

I am simply trying to set up a shared folder on my Windows PC, so it can be seen/used on my MacBook Pro. Easy right? The odd thing is, it previously worked - sometimes, and I was able to drag files into and out of it. Then a while ago it stopped working for good.

I've tried absolutely everything I can find, and it does not work. At all. And I mean, at all. Seriously. I've tried everything I can find on the web, followed every piece of advice. Nothing. Nada.

PC: Windows XP SP3, P4 3.6gHz, 2GB RAM.

MacBook Pro: OSX 10.6.8, 2.2gHz i7, 8GB RAM.

Cisco X3000 router.

The PC is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

The MBP is connected to the router wirelessly.

PC and MBP are getting internet connection fine, without problem.

I've created shared folders on the PC. I've created a workgroup. I've run the 'network connection wizard' about a hundred times. I've matched the workgroup name on the MBP WINS option in networking. I've tried 'connect to server' on the MBP, using both the PC name and its IP address. I've browsed - and seen nothing - in 'connect to server'. I've restarted both machines multiple times. I've created a password on the PC as I read that it only works if a password is set (not that I ever get that far on the MBP).

No shared folders or PC show up on the 'places' pane on the MBP. 'Connect to server' always results in 'The server… may not exist or it is unavailable at this time…'.

I've seriously run out of ideas, except maybe hiring a Peruvian shaman to come a wave a rat over my computers in some kind of network-enabling ritual.

I know I'm a weird freak for having both a PC and a Mac, but if anyone can help me, I'd be most grateful. And please, don't link a how-to from the web - I've already tried it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Try the other way around. Share a folder on the mac see if that works.
As follows system prefs, sharing, filesharing, options tab and make sure that files and folders shared via smb is on. Now you should be able to connect from pc to mac.

Analogman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks. But that doesn't work either.

The shared folder on the MBP isn't showing up on my PC at all.

I recently got a new router (X3000), and am trying to get this working again, but no luck.

Anyone? This is ridiculous. I can't imagine anyone following instructions online and just getting this to work. It doesn't.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: SMB and NFS...

Hi Analogman,

How are you "sharing" the folders on the PC? Can you specify NFS? Basically, I'd try mounting the shares using NFS or specifically mounting them using SMB. Look at the "man mount" documentation for details on mounting in different ways. See if you can share the folders on the PC in different ways.

Good luck,
Switon

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Connect urinegewogen ipaddress

Have you tried to connect using ipaddresses rather than host names??

MBPr15

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Isolation mode enabled on the router? Needs to be off.
Can you even ping from one to the other?

To eliminate a lot of issues, wire both to the router first during setup and troubleshooting. Once working, then setup the wireless node and if it breaks you have a config issue on the router to resolve.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
I have this set up at home too, never an issue. The way I do it is I first turn of the firewalls on both machines. Then on the PC, I right click the folder I want to share on the network, and enable sharing, allowing files to be changed. After a reboot when you open "My Computer" if you shared a drive, or if you shared a folder you will see a hand under its icon.
Open the hard drive on the mac and you will see it, on the left. Click it once and in the window, you will see all folders/drives shared on that PC. From here you can make alias's to the shared folders on the mac if you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.