Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:36 AM   #51
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
As good as that sounds lets keep it real. Google would rather be have Apples profits and revenue, than Android's 75% market share right now.
Maybe they're jealous, maybe they're not, but you do know Google makes billions a year, right? A lot of billions. Like $37.9 billion in 2011 (up from $29.3 billion in 2010).

onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:37 AM   #52
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
The problem is shoddy data here.


There are millions and millions of Android products that ship that aren't even up to the iPhone 4 (Apple's free phone) in class. If i'm a vendor making cheap phones for "emerging markets" I'm going to use Android because it's license free.

Folks the stats paint a very broad number. These aren't Galaxy SIII being sold in such huge numbers.

It basically mirrors the PC market. $400 PC sell in huge numbers but once you get to the high ASP devices Apple makes a killing.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #53
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
The problem is shoddy data here.


There are millions and millions of Android products that ship that aren't even up to the iPhone 4 (Apple's free phone) in class. If i'm a vendor making cheap phones for "emerging markets" I'm going to use Android because it's license free.

Folks the stats paint a very broad number. These aren't Galaxy SIII being sold in such huge numbers.

It basically mirrors the PC market. $400 PC sell in huge numbers but once you get to the high ASP devices Apple makes a killing.

How is the data shoddy? They're still Android devices. I don't think the study said 75% Android marketshare through Galaxy SIII's. It simply says, Android.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:44 AM   #54
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
How is the data shoddy? They're still Android devices. I don't think the study said 75% Android marketshare through Galaxy SIII's. It simply says, Android.
True ..shoddy is a poor choice. I'd like more info on the breakdown of classes of phones.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:47 AM   #55
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
The problem is shoddy data here.


There are millions and millions of Android products that ship that aren't even up to the iPhone 4 (Apple's free phone) in class. If i'm a vendor making cheap phones for "emerging markets" I'm going to use Android because it's license free.

Folks the stats paint a very broad number. These aren't Galaxy SIII being sold in such huge numbers.

It basically mirrors the PC market. $400 PC sell in huge numbers but once you get to the high ASP devices Apple makes a killing.
Makes a killeng in the pc market ? The only product that can remotely compete in the pc market from apple is the ipad, still i doubt they sell more ipad that hp sell laptops; apple billions comes from iphone and the ipad, android or win8 marketshare grow will hurt apple and they will stay in good shape aslong the high profit margin stay.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:49 AM   #56
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Regarding the s3 they have sold around 30million units and the note i think 10million units, if those number are correct thats 40million people that didnt want to pay the same amount for a iphone.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:03 AM   #57
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Maybe they're jealous, maybe they're not, but you do know Google makes billions a year, right? A lot of billions. Like $37.9 billion in 2011 (up from $29.3 billion in 2010).
Google profit wasn't 37.9 billion, that was their revenue. Apple had higher profits and revenue than Google had last year. A lot higher, like two and a half times the profit. 10 billion to 25 billion.

But Really who cares about that, like I said if developers keep developing for iOS first because that's were the moneys at iOS users shouldn't care about market shares.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:51 AM   #58
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Have not looked through the entire thread, but no surprise when you look at some of phones running android that they call smart phones.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:30 AM   #59
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
But Really who cares about that, like I said if developers keep developing for iOS first because that's were the moneys at iOS users shouldn't care about market shares.
Think about what you just wrote. Developers tend to develop for a specific brand based on market share. In other words they tend to follow the leader and that is based on market share.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #60
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Think about what you just wrote. Developers tend to develop for a specific brand based on market share. In other words they tend to follow the leader and that is based on market share.
Now you think about what I wrote. Developers still develop for iOS first because that's were the money at. iOS developers have made over 6.5 billion from the App store. Android developers are no were close to that 6.5 billion.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 AM   #61
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
Now you think about what I wrote. Developers still develop for iOS first because that's were the money at. iOS developers have made over 6.5 billion from the App store. Android developers are no were close to that 6.5 billion.
And as I said they follow the leader and market share. Which when Apple introduced the original iPad they had 99% market share. It doesn't matter if Android has nibbled at or taken over the market share lead.

Apple was their first and that's where the developers went to first. They are still there because of the investment to Apple.

OTOH because of the gains Android has made more and more developers will perhaps develop for Android.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #62
The Face
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
Now you think about what I wrote. Developers still develop for iOS first because that's were the money at. iOS developers have made over 6.5 billion from the App store. Android developers are no were close to that 6.5 billion.
So what's your argument? Who cares if developers develop for iOS first? Nearly every worthwhile app released for iOS is released for Android aswell sooner or later.

Also, the Android store has over 600,000 apps now, so the whole iOS vs Android App argument is now invalid.

You also make it sound as if the app market is Google/Android's primary source of profit. The big bucks come from the hardware sales, not apps worth pennies.

Last edited by The Face; Nov 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
The Face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:07 PM   #63
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face View Post
So what's your argument? Who cares if developers develop for iOS first? Nearly every worthwhile app released for iOS is released for Android aswell sooner or later.

Also, the Android store has over 600,000 apps now, so the whole iOS vs Android App argument is now invalid.

You also make it sound as if the app market is Google/Android's primary source of profit. The big bucks come from the hardware sales, not apps worth pennies.
My original statement was whats the big deal if Android has 75% of the market share? Some Android users like to boast about market share as if it's the end all. I knew some would say that because Android had the larger marker share the same thing would happen to iOS like what happen to Mac user with the PC's.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:17 PM   #64
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
There are millions and millions of Android products that ship that aren't even up to the iPhone 4 (Apple's free phone) in class.
Yes, but for the price, they're relatively well equipped (well past the original few iPhones' specs). Also:
  • The iPhone 4 isn't free in most of the world; it's more like $600-800.
  • The $125 - $150 Galaxy Mini is one of the best selling smartphones in most of the world without subsidies. For the price, and with its specs, it's a real deal and a real smartphone.
  • The opposite sales pattern occurs in North American because of subsidies. Statistics show that people don't go for the "free" subsidized phones; they spend $100-$200 more to get a higher end model (whether iOS or Android).
Quote:
If i'm a vendor making cheap phones for "emerging markets" I'm going to use Android because it's license free.
It's not costless, though. They still need to hire people to port and test each version. Also, if they wish to include Google apps, they have to license those for a fee. They also have to pay royalties to Microsoft and others.

Quote:
Folks the stats paint a very broad number. These aren't Galaxy SIII being sold in such huge numbers.
Here are the facts:
  • Samsung sells about 50 million smartphones per quarter.
  • Samsung has sold about 18 million Galaxy S3's per quarter.
  • Samsung has sold about 3 million Notes per quarter.

That's ~ 21 million S3s + Notes, out of 52 million smartphones, per quarter.

Therefore ~ 40% of the smartphones that Samsung sells are very high end phones.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:25 PM   #65
Oletros
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Here in Spain, carriers not subsidizing smartphones has make harm to Apple
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:20 PM   #66
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
History is repeating itself, yet again...
Faux Carnival is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:52 PM   #67
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
And if Apple licensed out iOS to every phone hardware manufacturer, they would be in the same position. That isn't going to happen though.

You have to look at it as iOS is only on iPhone's, Android is diluted across dozens upon dozens of different phones.
The only thing apple has going for it is quality of hardware, take that away and you just have a pile of shi+ so no i dont think them licencing will help their market share.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
Android smartphones account for 75% sold in the last quarter, not the % of smarthphones that are in the world. And what did you expect? A boom in iP4S sales at the end of its shelf life? You'll see a boost in iPhone sales in Q4.

And before you get too excited, the count was for smartphone mobile OS marketshare, tablets apparently not included.

Another study, Wikipedia reference =(... reported that roughly 70% of Android devices are on Gingerbread or older as of Nov 2. Yes that accounts for tablets, as well.
Updating software brings your company no money. Buying new products do so that doesnt really mean much. But comparing apple v android is also pointless it should be apple v samsung v sony etc.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face View Post
So what's your argument? Who cares if developers develop for iOS first? Nearly every worthwhile app released for iOS is released for Android aswell sooner or later.

Also, the Android store has over 600,000 apps now, so the whole iOS vs Android App argument is now invalid.

You also make it sound as if the app market is Google/Android's primary source of profit. The big bucks come from the hardware sales, not apps worth pennies.
Google makes their money from advertising if you havent noticed not from hardware sales. Android manufacturers make their money from hardware sales

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Regarding the s3 they have sold around 30million units and the note i think 10million units, if those number are correct thats 40million people that didnt want to pay the same amount for a iphone.
I cancelled my iphone order and jumped to the note 2. Best move I ever made (behind my first macbook maybe, its a tank!)
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:04 PM   #68
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
The only thing apple has going for it is quality of hardware, take that away and you just have a pile of shi+ so no i dont think them licencing will help their market share.

I disagree, so do millions of others. iOS is one of the most polished of the phone OS's out there, has the most support, and has the greatest number of quality apps on the App Store.

iPhones have a lot going for them. Android has its place, but the reason there are more android users is because if you look at any carriers lineup, there is one iPhone, one or two windows phones, a couple older non smart phones, and a barrage of android devices. Play the odds, it tends to work.
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:28 PM   #69
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
iPhones have a lot going for them. Android has its place, but the reason there are more android users is because if you look at any carriers lineup, there is one iPhone, one or two windows phones, a couple older non smart phones, and a barrage of android devices.
You're in Canada, where most carriers sell THREE basic iPhone models, just like in the States.

(Rogers actually puts "11" in its main menu for the iPhone models because of all the variations.)

Quote:
Play the odds, it tends to work.
So what's your theory on how the iPhone ever sold at all, considering all the smartphone models that were available when it first came out.

Perhaps numerical superiority in makes and models doesn't account for everything. Value, coolness, capabilities, screen size, etc all also factor in. Those are what sold the first iPhone, after all.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:37 PM   #70
JonL12345
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
I heard Apple lovers talk about the superior quality of the apps in the Apple app store all the time. But tell me this, have they counted them up? No. They are just repeating what other Apple users say.

Many apps in the Google play store are completely different in nature because of the flexibility of the Android OS. For example, shake your phone to turn on the torch. There are many apps for this with Android, none for Apple. That is just one example.

May I be so bold to suggest that there is more duplication of apps in the iOS store because the operating system cannot be accessed like Android can?
JonL12345 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:45 PM   #71
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Apple could help themsleves out if iOS didn't look like Palm OS from the 90s.
Just Googled 'Palm OS' and you're absolutely right - it looks exactly like a 90s iOS.

I've never tried Windows phone but do love their new take on the homescreen. Even Android with its widgets etc. is a strong step forward.

Apple really do need to change iOS big time, but I suspect they see it as a trademark and will try hard not to do so.
Attached Images
 
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:55 PM   #72
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
You're in Canada, where most carriers sell THREE basic iPhone models, just like in the States.

(Rogers actually puts "11" in its main menu for the iPhone models because of all the variations.)



So what's your theory on how the iPhone ever sold at all, considering all the smartphone models that were available when it first came out.

Perhaps numerical superiority in makes and models doesn't account for everything. Value, coolness, capabilities, screen size, etc all also factor in. Those are what sold the first iPhone, after all.

Yes and on Rogers.com there are 14 android phones. All completely different make, model, and manufacturer except for two which are the same model but different color.
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:04 PM   #73
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
The only thing apple has going for it is quality of hardware, take that away and you just have a pile of shi+ so no i dont think them licencing will help their market share.

----------



Updating software brings your company no money. Buying new products do so that doesnt really mean much. But comparing apple v android is also pointless it should be apple v samsung v sony etc.

----------



Google makes their money from advertising if you havent noticed not from hardware sales. Android manufacturers make their money from hardware sales

----------



I cancelled my iphone order and jumped to the note 2. Best move I ever made (behind my first macbook maybe, its a tank!)
Not really sure where you're coming from at all, but updating software makes all the difference. It makes Google's Android an attractive option in the smartphone market. It's easier to market a phone on JB versus a phone on Gingerbread (can you imagine walking into a carrier store and the sales person trying to sell you an Android smartphone on Gingerbread?!). What is one of the advantages of a Nexus 4 over other Android smartphones? Oh the updated and supported software. So yes it makes money.

The point I was trying to make in my initial post is that when 70% of all Android phones are running Gingerbread or older, saying Android has 75% marketshare is only part of the story. Should Apple be worried about marketshare? Hardly.

Best move I ever made was selling my Galaxy Nexus and buying an iPhone 5. See what I did there? It's subjective.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:27 PM   #74
Redsew
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Since I live in Korea... Everywhere I go there are thousands of advertisements for androids, they even give out many free ones to change people over from old phones to android or different OS to android... It's really sad that I am still a proud apple user in Korea but here, I can tell android is being enforced really well in markets...
Redsew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:30 PM   #75
cnev3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Personally, I wouldnt mind if Android has 99% of the smartphone market. If 99% of people were using an iPhone, it would kind of make me not want it to be honest.
cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Market Share Dips Slightly as Android Increases Lead in Global Smartphone Race MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 259 Feb 3, 2014 01:57 PM
Android Dominates Nearly 80% of Smartphone Market, iOS Drops to 13% Share MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 524 Aug 25, 2013 05:09 PM
Android and iOS Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market as Windows Phone Shows Signs of Life MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 260 May 21, 2013 04:45 AM
Samsung and Apple Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market, But iOS Market Share Falls MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 141 Feb 20, 2013 07:48 AM
Apple Sets New High with 53.3% of U.S. Smartphone Market, Android Holds Strong in Europe MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 210 Jan 4, 2013 07:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC