Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
My iPhone 4 is on it's last leg. I've since changed out the battery twice. Replaced the home button, and now the solder on the battery housing is going and I have to mod my phone with a piece of card board + tape to get the power to work inside the phone.

I'm ready for the iphone 5 but I'm currently using Straight Talk as my provider. I'm ready to trim the sim down but I need to find a store that offers an unlocked GSM iPhone 5.

Should I just go out and purchase an iPhone 5 that's GSM unlocked via Verizon or wait for Apple to offer theirs unlocked. :confused:

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
If you can wait a bit.....Depending where you live (USA or Outside) I would be incline to use Apple simply for the 30 return policy and no restocking fee. Verizon has a 14 day return policy and so does AT&T - Sprint.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
ATT locked iPhones work with straight talk as well

If I'm going to drop 600+ on a phone I'd want to make sure it's unlocked for when I head over seas.

I'm looking for GSM unlocked iPhones specifically.

As of now the only way I know of obtaining one would be to purchase one through Verizon or wait for Apple. I won't be jailbreaking the device.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
If you are planning on using straight talk then LTE has no effect on you. I would recommend get what ever you can get your hands on at the lowest price. Check craigslist along with apple stores, bestbuy, at&t, walmart, radioshack and online. You will have to program APN, and MMS for both of them to have data working. This is the speeds you can expect on straight talk using AT&T HSPA+

Attachments

• photo test.PNG
    photo test.PNG
    90.2 KB · Views: 57

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
If I'm going to drop 600+ on a phone I'd want to make sure it's unlocked for when I head over seas.

I'm looking for GSM unlocked iPhones specifically.

As of now the only way I know of obtaining one would be to purchase one through Verizon or wait for Apple. I won't be jailbreaking the device.

If you buy full price, it will be factory unlocked by default. In the random chance that it isn't, then there are ebay unlocks for $3 about.

Only good part about verizon phones is that LTE works in more parts of Europe. ATT LTE bands will work with ATT and Tmobile (once they get it). If straight talk later gets LTE, it will work on ST as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.