Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Wifi is much improved in my limited testing with 3 previously problematic networks.

ActiveSync Push unfortunately is still not working properly.

ramnj

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
NJ
What problem have you guys been having with WIFI? Downloaded and installed 6.0.1...lets see how it goes.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Wow wtf my iPhone 5 still have WiFi issues with 6.0.1. It works really well when it works, but sporadically the connection does not go through even though the WiFi bars are full.

archwizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
... just a preliminary observation (which needs a couple of days of actual usage tests to verify):

Wifi on my iPhone 5 has been rather slow and spotty previously, but more often than not very slooooow downloading apps & pics, and accessing certain vids. For example, sometimes (yes, only sometimes), downloading a mere 10MB app would take >15 mins or more making that a highly tedious affair.

With this iOS update to 6.0.1, it would appear that things moved along at a better pace. I tried downloading an app chalking over 200MB just now and it only took slightly more than a minute, a vast improvement. Watching vids that normally take ages to buffer or stick halfway are now very smooth.

Of course, the improvements could just be a timing thing with the downloading servers so this need to be observed over the next few days.

On the negative side, there was an inexplicable disconnection from the router half-way watching a video clip. It reconnected on its own after 30 secs or so.

Connection is to a high-speed 5Ghz router.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Those 5ghz router dont go too far, do you have that problem in the same wrong ?

My 4s never have wifi problems so assume is a iphone 5 one ? I must say my father iphone 4 been having some slow issues but hes not bother with it, il tell him to update tomorrow.

archwizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, 5GHz signals doesn't go through walls or partitions that well either vs 2.4GHz. I'm testing it from the same places I usually use the phone. <12 feet to router with 0 to 2 walls. The results have been consistent, ie. I'm seeing noticeable improvements throughout all spectrums of wifi activities on the iPhone 5.

I don't have any of these wifi issues w/ my other iDevices (iPhones and iPads) though none are on higher than iOS 5. I believe this is a iOS 6 issue in my case. Anyway, let's hope there is actual improvements and not a timing issue.

beefdongle

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
My wifi range is still poor on my iPhone 5. 2.4GHz wireless n network. I get about 25Mbps in the same room as the router, 1.5Mbps in a room 25 ft away. I was getting 20Mbps in the same place on my iPhone 4 running 6.0.0

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
When I wirelessly sync my Phone 5, it looses connection during the sync.

I'm hoping when I do my 6.0.1 upgrade that this will fix the problem. But at the moment, I can not wirelessly sync.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I had a ton of wifi issues on my iphone 4 after the update to ios 6. It seems to be stabilized for now. No connection timeouts yet.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Wifi still not working properly on both an iPhone 5 and 4S with ios 6.0.1 installed. Sad face.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
I've been having a weird problem with wifi on iOS 6. Can't say for certain if this behavior was present before the 6.0.1 update. Did a search on mac rumors and found countless threads on the same issue but no clear explanation. I own a 4S, basically when I put it to sleep it disconnects from the wifi. When I turn it back on for a split second I see the Edge icon and then it connects back to the network.

So according to the threads this is a normal iOS battery saving feature. The problem is my country has no 3G and the edge is really spotty and doesnt work most of the time. So at times push notifications dont come through for mail, whatsapp, etc. untill I unlock the phone and it connects to wifi.

It's interesting to not that two other family members of mine own 4S's they exhibit the same behavior of the icon showing up a split second after they unlock their phones BUT the phone never drops its IP address from the router. If I go into my router settings, I can see my phone drops wifi after 20-30 seconds, the other phones stay indefinitely. One phone has a similar data connection and one has data off.

I did 2 restores but the problem persists. Don't know if this is normal behaviour and how the other two phones manage to stay connected to the router. Any explanation would be great! Thanks

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Wow wtf my iPhone 5 still have WiFi issues with 6.0.1. It works really well when it works, but sporadically the connection does not go through even though the WiFi bars are full.

Exactly, it'll be blazing fast for a while, consistently hitting 33+ Mbps in tests, lightning fast web browsing, until "it" happens, though the signal is fine, full bars, the actual throughput gets very erratic and very slow, nearly unusable. But here's the thing, all I have to do to fix this is turn wifi off then on, problem solved. Which frankly is ridiculous. This makes me fairly certain this is a software fix, an easy one at that, and yet, 6.0.1 has come and gone but not addressed this issue.

So until apple gets it together, every 30 min or so I need to toggle my wifi switch in order to continue wifi Internet browsing. Wonderful. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.