Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
A lot of countries don't have LTE yet and sorry to to say this but the US isn't the only country in the world :p

Sorry I was inactive while dealing with a hurricane.

Are you saying they should be releasing flagship phones for use in "some countries" now?

Also, I don't appreciate you implying that I'm that ignorant of the existence and importance of the rest of the world.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Typical Apple fanboys. Just look at the Scott Forstall thread. Before he was fired, people loved him; suddenly he became the scapegoat for all of Apple's missteps.

Of course, other examples include 10 inch is the perfect size for tablet, and 3.5 inch is perfect for a phone; their brains suddenly change when Apple release new products.:)

Not exactly sure why so many feel the need to defend the product they have, but it is so obvious here on this forum. I have Apple devices and non Apple devices. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Why so much loyalty to a company that makes $$ by selling you a product?
Why do so many Apple fans say that they will never ever use anything other than an Apple device?

Only time will tell, and I do feel Apple has seen it's best day. They will continue to produce excellent products and they'll make a ton of cash, but the days of "everything Apple" are coming to an end. There is too much choice now for that mentality to continue. Google is on the way to the top. In a couple years from now, who knows who will dominate, but we all know things eventually do change, and no one company remains on top forever.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Well, I'm gonna buy/preorder it as soon as it comes available. Currently using an iPhone 4 and am actually quite interested in how Android would work for me. The main points for me are the low price and the bigger screen. The tiny iPhone screen really tends to annoy me, so I'm looking forward to the Nexus 4...The fact that it doesn't boast LTE doesn't bother me at all. I have a €10/month "contract" and couldn't even use LTE on my carrier. Also, I don't wanna spend €40+ a month on my phone tariff, which I had to when I wanted to use LTE here.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Are you saying they should be releasing flagship phones for use in "some countries" now?

Again, the Nexus 4 is not a "flagship". It is a statement. Google is saying "this is how we think a good phone at this specific price point ($300-$350) should be like". If someone wants a phone in the price range of iPhone, they will sure have some from third-party manufacturers to choose from in the near future who will happily make phones with LTE, 64 GB flash and all the rest... at a different price point of course. I don't understand where people are getting the idea that this is a high-end "flagship" phone designed to compete with the iPhone 5. It's not, and it was never meant to be.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry I was inactive while dealing with a hurricane.

Also, I don't appreciate you implying that I'm that ignorant of the existence and importance of the rest of the world.

No I'm not saying that and I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You keep mentioning that that the beauty of Anroid is the choice, but who cares... that doesn't apply to the thread topic at hand. We are comparing thoughts on the Nexus 4 from iPhone users, not thoughts on every Android phone available.

The reason I make that point is because people keep comparing it to the iPhone's release last year when it didn't have lte and pretending that we've now switched our stances regarding lte as if lte is suddenly gone from android and we don't care.

The thing is what Apple decides is what we get so when apple didn't offer lte that was that - that's what people had problems with. If you wanted an ios device you were out of luck. Whereas with Android, if lte (or ad expansion or removable storage) is that important you can still get it.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a shame if Google didn't eventually offer CDMA /lte devices down the line.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
There's nothing baffling about it. In fact the reason its not included makes perfect sense.

LTE is widely misunderstood because most people haven't bothered to learn what it is, whats required to add it to a phone, and market dynamics.

Google is your friend, ready to educate you in just a few clicks :)

Love the condescending tone, you must be the smartest, coolest person alive!

I'm not in the market for a phone right now and have plenty of other things to do besides research meaningless things. Meaningless as in, meaningless TO ME, RIGHT NOW...in case that point escaped you.

What I do know about LTE, is that with it now, media loads faster on my phone and apps download (both new and updates) much much faster. Haven't tried a video call with it yet, but I imagine with the blazing fast data connection combined with a better camera, a video call will be a better experience on the iPhone 5 than it was on 4 or 4S....obviously assuming the other end of the call has a good connection as well.

I don't really care about the theory of how stuff should be working, I care about it's real world performance.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm not in the market for a phone right now and have plenty of other things to do besides research meaningless things. Meaningless as in, meaningless TO ME, RIGHT NOW...
Oops.... must've hit a nerve.

Meaningless? Too busy? Apparently not.

Taking time to post, speaks louder than your words.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The reason I make that point is because people keep comparing it to the iPhone's release last year when it didn't have lte and pretending that we've now switched our stances regarding lte as if lte is suddenly gone from android and we don't care.

The thing is what Apple decides is what we get so when apple didn't offer lte that was that - that's what people had problems with. If you wanted an ios device you were out of luck. Whereas with Android, if lte (or ad expansion or removable storage) is that important you can still get it.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a shame if Google didn't eventually offer CDMA /lte devices down the line.

I understand where you are coming from, but if the iphone 5 did not have LTE very few people would upgrade from a 4S....well a ton would, but nothing like it is today.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I understand where you are coming from, but if the iphone 5 did not have LTE very few people would upgrade from a 4S....well a ton would, but nothing like it is today.

Completely agree here and w/ onthecouchagain. Been waiting 2.5 years for Apple to release a LTE ready phone, and if iP5 didn't have it, I'd consider sitting out this refresh or even take a serious second look at the Nexus line. It is exactly as onthecouchagain said, there was no other option for iOS!

Back to the Nexus, the gap between the pure Google experience and the alternative is just not that big any more, just like the gap between two usable mobile OS in iOS and Android. We aren't talking about the gap between JB and Gingerbread, we're actually comparing 4.2 to 4.1. Sure Nexus 4 may get the next iteration of Android OS faster than its competition, but 4.1 is already a beefy, capable, and smooth working OS.

Just wanted to point out one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, it might be minimal, but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers. In terms of video, it is interesting to note that at a 4.7" screen w/ 16:10 ratio, you get the same viewable area/resolution as the 16:9 4.65" GNex.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Completely agree here and w/ onthecouchagain. Been waiting 2.5 years for Apple to release a LTE ready phone, and if iP5 didn't have it, I'd consider sitting out this refresh or even take a serious second look at the Nexus line. It is exactly as onthecouchagain said, there was no other option for iOS!

Back to the Nexus, the gap between the pure Google experience and the alternative is just not that big any more, just like the gap between two usable mobile OS in iOS and Android. We aren't talking about the gap between JB and Gingerbread, we're actually comparing 4.2 to 4.1. Sure Nexus 4 may get the next iteration of Android OS faster than its competition, but 4.1 is already a beefy, capable, and smooth working OS.

Just wanted to point out one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, it might be minimal, but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers. In terms of video, it is interesting to note that at a 4.7" screen w/ 16:10 ratio, you get the same viewable area/resolution as the 16:9 4.65" GNex.

This is something very important to think about. How much more will android be able to do. Their OS's have gone through major changes b.c they were quite frankly, bad. Now with JB all is smooth and the features are great. Apple takes a lot of heat b.c their IOS does not make a big leap, but that is b.c there is not a ton they can do since they do choose to keep it "a closed garden." 4.2 is great, but nothing major from 4.1 like you said

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers.

There is no effort in maintaining the aspect ratio. There are hundreds of Android phones out there with different resolutions and aspect ratios. The OS and apps are resolution-independent, unlike iOS.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is something very important to think about. How much more will android be able to do. Their OS's have gone through major changes b.c they were quite frankly, bad. Now with JB all is smooth and the features are great. Apple takes a lot of heat b.c their IOS does not make a big leap, but that is b.c there is not a ton they can do since they do choose to keep it "a closed garden." 4.2 is great, but nothing major from 4.1 like you said

I forgot who it was over at google recently said android is still only 1/3 done, whatever that means. So it sounds like they still have big plans for android?

I love their humility and humbleness.

Guess time will tell.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Isn't the 'Nexus' line promoted as a Dev phone, not really targeted to the average consumer?

No LTE is kind of baffling...but, for it's purposes, there's no need for crazy amounts of internal storage.

Yes but they explained the reason they dont give a microslot in the Nexus devices is because it is confusing to the user....which i find utter Bulls**t. Give it the slot and if the person using it is confused, they dont have to use it.

I Only use my microSDcard for music and movies and some photos anyways. The rest goes on the internal card.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Without that sdcard slot it looks better anyway, these android devices are not selling more than they are now probably on looks, the hardware is there and the software is there so i think thats the other step they need.

Coming years memory will be cheaper, hell seems now allready is and if year imagina the next nexus at these prices with 32gb and 64gn thats more than enough, 64gb and you also need a sdcard thats pushing your luck if you plan to handle everything with a smartphone let alone your bussines.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Oops.... must've hit a nerve.

Meaningless? Too busy? Apparently not.

Taking time to post, speaks louder than your words.

I'm already on here, genius. I'm not taking the time to go research something I don't have the need to research.

Not quite as slick as you would like to think, good try though...very valiant effort.

----------

Yes but they explained the reason they dont give a microslot in the Nexus devices is because it is confusing to the user....which i find utter Bulls**t. Give it the slot and if the person using it is confused, they dont have to use it.

I Only use my microSDcard for music and movies and some photos anyways. The rest goes on the internal card.

Seriously? Sounds like a very Apple thing to say. If one is confused about using expanded memory, probably shouldn't be using a feature rich smart phone.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I was interested in the nexus 4 until I found out it was gsm only. Boo hoo. I also think it's foolish to offer it in an 8gb configuration and no sd expansion. That's pretty limiting. I am not interested in it's cousin the Optimus G, since it isn't pure google. I'll wait and see how the next nexus phones shape up. I love the iphone, but I'm not above trying out the competition. Wp8 looks interesting as well, but again, only offered for the gsm network and it's weak where I live.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I forgot who it was over at google recently said android is still only 1/3 done, whatever that means. So it sounds like they still have big plans for android?

I love their humility and humbleness.

Guess time will tell.

Can't wait to see what the other 2/3rds will be like.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Can't wait to see what the other 2/3rds will be like.

Aye.

With stiffer competition now coming from MS and maybe RIM (???) Android has to keep pushing forward. I think with ICS they've finally reached a very high point. That's when things started really turning around and people began respecting Android. With JB they're ironing out the remaining issues and adding refinements. It'll be interesting to see what's their next big software improvement/addition.

It'll also be exciting to see what Ive does with iOS 7. Though, I fear, it'll primarily be cosmetic. I can't foresee that major of a change for iOS.

EDIT: What's great about a $349 price point is that if the competition does become more attractive, say iOS 7 really does bring the changes we want, you can always sell the Nexus 4 and feel okay about spending less than ~300 bucks on a device, then switch to whatever you want. The value of the Nexus 4 unlocked just makes it that much easier to buy.

Last edited:

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Rather buy an LG fridge.

Considering 3G speed in the states are like 1.5Mb download, don't really wants to go back to that from LTE.

What? That's not true... This is near the shore in New Jersey where 1 out of 5 towers are working right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.PNG
    IMG_0412.PNG
    531.7 KB · Views: 77

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
What I was alluding to is those points were used to hammer the iPhone 4S for being "lacking" and "outdated" and whatever...

Yet now it's all good in the hood because Google is doing it.

Take that same phone and put iOS on it...

"-OMG NO LTE. WTF
-No removable battery sucks, I need to be able to swap batteries and use aftermarket batteries.
-I can't survive with 16gb, I need to used a 128gb card for my music
-Glass on the back is stupid and fragile
-The flat back is not natural in the hand
-It's a brick compared to the GS3
-Why is it so thick when the GS3 is so thin. SAMSUNG FTW!!!"

Mind you, I think Google did a very good job with the Nexus 4. I've always maintained LTE is not critical. It looks like a very all around slick device...but then again I really liked the 4S so the N4 works for me.

The difference is that it costs double of what the Nexus 4 costs.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm affraid it's going to get worse and worse with forcing the consumer to use their cloud services etc. It won't be pretty for me...

If we have fast enough data speeds and higher data caps then why not I guess. I still prefer having stuff locally but everything is moving to the cloud these days.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
What? That's not true... This is near the shore in New Jersey where 1 out of 5 towers are working right now.

Thats pretty good. I might be able to live with that. Unfortunately, thats the highest speed I've seen since I've been researching hspa+ speeds. Most I've seen range from 3 - 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.