Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
MacWanter
macrumors member

Red face iPod Camera any good?

When I get my 27" iMac in January, I want to be able to listen to some tunes, take pictures, make videos ect. Will the iPod be a good choice as a camera..? I'm not a pro photographer but I want to take casual photos, such as on vacation or when something funny happens. It will be my first apple purchase along side the iMac, and I want to be able to enjoy it as much as possible. Also, do you think I require a case? Thanks!
MacWanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

As an aspiring photographer I would say the camera is ok. Given they have bundled effectively a camera strap with it, it's certainly being touted as a night out camera.
I am enjoying using it to take some fun pics of autumn with the camera + app as the weather where I am in the uk is grey, dark and horrid at the moment!
As an overall device, the iPod is fantastic. If you're likely to be taking it out on a lot of nights out then a case is a must. You'd need to weigh up whether taking a 300 device out is ok or a cheap 80 compact camera would make you feel more comfortable.
In terms of photo examples, keep your eye on Flickr. Once these things get more into the open hopefully the number of photos will increase on that site.

As far a holidays are concerned, the panorama option is very impressive, a very simple process I can see being used a lot.

As a complement to your iMac in general it's great, I would say buy one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	372130  
Aniseedvan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:01 AM   #3
cnev3
macrumors 6502

For normal, everyday use, the camera will succeed. It's only when you need to do some highly detailed macro shots. Some color sensitive shots, stuff in low light, high seed, speciality things that you cant expect of a cell phone camera.

It's quite decent. I spent some time at the beach today playing with the panorama feature:

cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Tried to take a more sensible one today, this shows up the point about about macro shots, the leaf veins aren't sharp, although the wind was blowing these leaves around like no ones business...
Note, i've pushed this through some processing in snapseed. I find the standard photos are washed out, so theres some saturation boost, white balance changes and sharpening applied, plus a crop.
If i ever see the sun again it'll be nice to try and see if it fares better not under dull grey british skies...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	738.5 KB
ID:	372388  
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:25 PM   #5
MicroByte
macrumors 6502

I find the cameras to be great for out door shots and have no issues with those.

Indoor is a lot better than the 4g, especially considering that you now have the ability to use the LED as a flash. One thing I've noticed though, when using the flash at about 3 - 4 feet away, details get overwhelmed and overshadowed by the flash. I took pictures of people at this range and at times, you couldn't really make out all of the facial features .
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
purplesaber
macrumors member

Can anyone compare the iPod Touch 5 camera with the iPhone 4S camera?

I used to have an iPhone 4S and liked the quality of the pictures very much. I have an Android phone now for work but the camera is not very good and I would like to have a pocketable iOS device to carry around with me. Debating the merits of a used Iphone 4S from eBay (no SIM, just to use as an iPod and camera) vs. new iPod 5 which are about the same price.

Since the camera is one of the more important features to me I'm very curious if anyone has experience with both iP4S and iPT5. Thanks for any feedback or advice!
purplesaber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
MacWanter
macrumors member

Yeah, I mean, I'm not only getting it for the camera. iOS apps are nice too. After all, I have a kindle fire already.
MacWanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Scipod
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesaber View Post

I used to have an iPhone 4S and liked the quality of the pictures very much. I have an Android phone now for work but the camera is not very good and I would like to have a pocketable iOS device to carry around with me. Debating the merits of a used Iphone 4S from eBay (no SIM, just to use as an iPod and camera) vs. new iPod 5 which are about the same price.

Since the camera is one of the more important features to me I'm very curious if anyone has experience with both iP4S and iPT5. Thanks for any feedback or advice!
The iPod touch camera is great and is right on par with the 4s camera IMO, get the touch though for a multitude of reasons; won't be used(brand new), thinner, option of colors and the lightning connector is great!
Scipod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
macrumors regular

Honestly I am not using my iPod Touch camera. If you want a decent camera, go out and spend your money on a decent camera instead. the ipod touch's main goal is a gaming device. What do you expect? a 20 megapixel camera?
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
shellben
macrumors newbie

I'm pretty impressed with the camera. Granted, I haven't owned a point and shoot in a few years, and have never had a smartphone with a camera so I was pretty excited to get any kind of camera. But so far this one is not disappointing.

Took the obligatory "just got my iPod touch so lets go outside and take pics of the dog" shot with the Camera + app, with very minimal filtering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	372791  
shellben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

I think the camera's pretty darn good.

BTW, maybe the iPod touch 5 is a gaming device for kids, but for adults it's much, much more.

Taken at the Lincoln Park (Chicago) Farmer's Market last weekend:

Name:	Carrots.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	372840
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:09 AM   #12
shellben
macrumors newbie

Here's another that I took this morning. This one is more heavily edited - a few filters in Camera +, some blur effects/contrast/color editing in photoshop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	372913  
shellben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
LadyX
macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPod Touch 5G, but these pictures look great!
LadyX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Akoni 2011
macrumors newbie

I am pleased with my iPod touch 5.
If you realise this is not a digital camera, but a mediaplayer, the camera is not bad at all!
Here's a panorame i've made yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	372970  
Akoni 2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:49 PM   #15
iGuy38
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to iGuy38 Send a message via Yahoo to iGuy38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellben View Post
Here's another that I took this morning. This one is more heavily edited - a few filters in Camera +, some blur effects/contrast/color editing in photoshop
Very nice edit!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Took a few over a long weekend, edits in snapseed

Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Bokehfoto
macrumors newbie

Question

love it but not really noticing much change when I switch to HDR mode

Last edited by Bokehfoto; Nov 1, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Bokehfoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
For normal, everyday use, the camera will succeed. It's only when you need to do some highly detailed macro shots. Some color sensitive shots, stuff in low light, high seed, speciality things that you cant expect of a cell phone camera.

It's quite decent. I spent some time at the beach today playing with the panorama feature:

That's either Huntington Beach or a beach that's an amazing clone.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:18 PM   #19
cnev3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
That's either Huntington Beach or a beach that's an amazing clone.
Huntington Beach it is

Here's some cemetery pics I took in New Orleans a couple days ago:

cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #20
davidinva
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesaber View Post

I am curious about this as well. If the seller is reliable, etc. Can you put a sim back into it if you decide to go with a phone/data plan?
davidinva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I'd prefer using a normal camera, even one for $140 will take _better_ photos than this, but I have to admit the photos aren't half bad.

Cameras have more features, more memory, better quality pics, more easier to use, more durable...etc than an iPod Touch.

It should be fine though. Like I said, the pics look great. Just have to get used to it, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinva View Post
I am curious about this as well. If the seller is reliable, etc. Can you put a sim back into it if you decide to go with a phone/data plan?
Yeah ... depends.
If your sold a phone blocked by a carrier, then no, it won't work. Doesn't make the seller unreliable, exactly, if he advertised it that way. Additionally, not all carriers have a SIM so you have to see what kind of 4S you've ordered.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:12 PM   #22
faroZ06
Banned

The iPod camera is good for a point-and-shoot. The lens is small, and there are no manual controls, but it should be OK in most cases. The lack of flash might be the only issue. There should be a Dock Connector flash accessory

EDIT: The new iPod touch (G5) has a flash. The older ones do not.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 4, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:05 PM   #23
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
The iPod camera is good for a point-and-shoot. The lens is small, and there are no manual controls, but it should be OK in most cases. The lack of flash might be the only issue. There should be a Dock Connector flash accessory
Actually it has a flash!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:14 PM   #24
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Actually it has a flash!
Oh right, I was thinking of the G4, but he never specified which generation
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #25
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

I've been impressed that the shutter lag has been fairly minimal for a "camera phone". A lot of the time you want to pull it out of your pocket and snap quick, bearing in mind you can't fiddle with any settings.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch