Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Ok so I'm eagerly getting geared up to purchase my MBA in the coming weeks.

I guess I'm going to go with the 8 GBs of RAM, which means I'm going to have to order online, instead of simply walking into my Apple store and picking one up.

My only fear with ordering a custom MBA is having to possibly exchange it, if need be. Exchanging a custom MBA is a multi-week process, as you all know, and no one wants to deal with that after already waiting weeks leading up to the actual purchase of a device.

Anyway, I called Apple the other day to ask about some things and the gentleman I spoke with gave me his number to call him back when I'm ready to order my MBA. At the time I thought sure, thinking they must get commission, or something, but now I'm paranoid about the whole process. Paranoid that ordering through him may take longer and may result in general logistical problems.

Has anyone order through an actual Apple representative before as opposed to just ordering directly online?

Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen? I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen. Will it be like the iPhone and look noticeably more yellow? Or can I easily change the colors in the settings (without having to download anything else)?

At this point I'm just trying to put aside any last-minute doubts and fears.

Last edited:

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Ok so I'm eagerly getting geared up to purchase my MBA in the coming weeks.

I guess I'm going to go with the 8 GBs of RAM, which means I'm going to have to order online, instead of simply walking into my Apple store and picking one up.

My only fear with ordering a custom MBA is having to possibly exchange it, if need be. Exchanging a custom MBA is a multi-week process, as you all know, and no one wants to deal with that after already waiting weeks leading up to the actual purchase of a device.

Anyway, I called Apple the other day to ask about some things and the gentleman I spoke with gave me his number to call him back when I'm ready to order my MBA. At the time I thought sure, thinking they must get commission, or something, but now I'm paranoid about the whole process. Paranoid that ordering through him may take longer and may result in general logistical problems.

Has anyone order through an actual Apple representative before as opposed to just ordering directly online?

Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen. I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen. Will it be like the iPhone and look noticeably more yellow? Or can I easily change the colors in the settings (without having to download anything else)?

At this point I'm just trying to put aside any last-minute doubts and fears.

Look I´m tired of this **** and this may help you. I have 2012 13" Air with 8GB RAM. It has LG screen and I´m happy. Colours are beautiful even without calibrating it and I´m hobby photographer. I´m also perfectionist and I sended Air to servis just because some keys didn´t seem to need same pressure to push them.
LG is great and I can honestly say that Samsung MAY be just placebo effect.

Hope I helped

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Lg screen is fine. We put up mba screens side by side at work to compare and we couldn't tell much of a difference between lg and samsung, even less so after applying a custom calibration profile.

It's very likely that you'll end up with an LG panel and it's not an accident at the factory that they've put them in some macbooks. They're good panels, should've just done a better job with factory calibration.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
As other wrote, that whole Samsung versus LG-debate is the most ridiculous ever. My 2010 Air had a Samsung and my 2012 got the LG. I really can't tell a difference and if ever I prefer the LG. it's really a subjective view on those panels. Some like the Samsung and others the LG. they both have different colors, but you can't really say which one is best.

Id you absolutely want to have the Samsung panel no matter what (placebo I tell you), then I might advice buying a windows laptop or the retina.

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I bought a 2012 MBA base model. It is absolutely great! It performs while doing everyday tasks, actually I am still surprised at how fast my base model is. I wonder how much better a 2.0GHz i7 with 8GB's of RAM will perform. I got an LG display and a Toshiba SSD. I got unlucky I suppose, but it doesn't bother me. Don't let that stop you from getting one. I purchased mine through a store, while it was on sale. I would have gotten 8 GB's of RAM but it doesn't bother me. I say just go for it! You won't regret your purchase. I sure don't!

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I bought a 2012 MBA base model. It is absolutely great! It performs while doing everyday tasks, actually I am still surprised at how fast my base model is. I wonder how much better a 2.0GHz i7 with 8GB's of RAM will perform. I got an LG display and a Toshiba SSD. I got unlucky I suppose, but it doesn't bother me. Don't let that stop you from getting one. I purchased mine through a store, while it was on sale. I would have gotten 8 GB's of RAM but it doesn't bother me. I say just go for it! You won't regret your purchase. I sure don't!

Awesome and thanks! I was just going to go with the base model with 4 GB of RAM because for the average user the base models from Apple have always been more than adequate. Plus all the reviews on YT, and my own experiences with the base MBA 13", seem to handle fairly intensive multi-tasking absolutely just fine. But everyone on here insists on the 8 GB like it's a very imperative requirement so idk now I've been leaning towards that.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Also, what do I do if I get a LG screen? I see a lot of fuss on here about getting the LG screen.

You haven't seen any "fuss" since Mountain Lion shipped with an improved default LG calibration profile.

I've seen LG and Samsung screens side by side, and in so far as there is any difference at all, the LG screens are now more colour correct out-of-the-box.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
You haven't seen any "fuss" since Mountain Lion shipped with an improved default LG calibration profile.

I've seen LG and Samsung screens side by side, and in so far as there is any difference at all, the LG screens are now more colour correct out-of-the-box.

Ok awesome, it sounds like it's not as big of an issue as it is with the iPhone 5. Especially since you can change the calibration in the settings. Anyway thanks guys, this is all slowly easing my mind!

Now I just need to decide if I want to order online or through that guy but that shouldn't make much difference either way.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Ok awesome, it sounds like it's not as big of an issue as it is with the iPhone 5. Especially since you can change the calibration in the settings. Anyway thanks guys, this is all slowly easing my mind!

Now I just need to decide if I want to order online or through that guy but that shouldn't make much difference either way.

I would definitely order through Apple Store, and not by telephone. If you do it yourself you can make sure everything is configured correct before purchasing, and look for possible accessories and what not. Wouldn't trust placing an order with some dude (maybe an intern, who knows?) over the phone - but that's just me ;)

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I would definitely order through Apple Store, and not by telephone. If you do it yourself you can make sure everything is configured correct before purchasing, and look for possible accessories and what not. Wouldn't trust placing an order with some dude (maybe an intern, who knows?) over the phone - but that's just me ;)

The guy was a customer service rep, said he was in sales for 6 years, but yeah I see what you're saying.

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Order through the Apple Store. Communication can be hard on phone sometimes. Like someone else said you can make sure everything is correct so you won't have to waste time exchanging it.

Good luck on making your purchase :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.