Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
So I called apple today and told them my story and even though I was almost 2 months into owning my ipad 3 they are letting me return it for a mini, apple is awesome like that!! ;):D:apple:

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
So I called apple today and told them my story and even though I was almost 2 months into owning my ipad 3 they are letting me return it for a mini, apple is awesome like that!! ;):D:apple:

Good job, wish I could get a refund on my 3, the mini I have is great!

I have a muscle condition so the lighter weight of the mini is great.

lolnick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Funny since im returning the iPad mini. The screen resolution is piss poor and it was a big mistake of Apple of not putting a retina display in it. When the 2nd generation of the mini comes out and has the retina display, the 1st generation will become worthless.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Funny since im returning the iPad mini. The screen resolution is piss poor and it was a big mistake of Apple of not putting a retina display in it. When the 2nd generation of the mini comes out and has the retina display, the 1st generation will become worthless.

Just like the iPad 2 became worthless yet it accounts for 40% of all iPad sales

lolnick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010

The ipad 2 didnt have any competition at the time. The mini has plenty of competition with much better displays for much less money. Apple would have had a home run with the mini had it had the retina display.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

I returned my iPad mini today as well to get a iPad 4, main reason was the screen, second reason was the I didn't want the middle device between iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Ipad 2 is still the best Ipad up to date because everything seems to balance out very good eg. the screen, battery, lack of heat problem. Best Tablet at the time it came out and exceed many expectations.

Ipad mini, on the other hand, is overpriced, low resolution screen only good for playing games and im sure people expected more from what they see.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Haha so what?

Newsflash, the second iPad mini will be better!!

I'll just sell this one and buy that one too if I wanted to :rolleyes:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The ipad 2 didnt have any competition at the time. The mini has plenty of competition with much better displays for much less money. Apple would have had a home run with the mini had it had the retina display.

It currently accounts for 40% of all iPad sales.

----------

Ipad 2 is still the best Ipad up to date because everything seems to balance out very good eg. the screen, battery, lack of heat problem. Best Tablet at the time it came out and exceed many expectations.

Ipad mini, on the other hand, is overpriced, low resolution screen only good for playing games and im sure people expected more from what they see.

Over priced according to who you? Who are you? iPad mini has the same screen resolution as the iPad two and has a higher pixel density...and out performs iPad 2 and iPad 3 in speed tests....using a processor thats over a year old. Its not a processor thats a year old its the a5 32nm a5 processor. so your facts arent even correct there. I dont want more for mores sake.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Singh said documents from the patent case between Apple and Samsung showed that the “iPad 2 cannibalized approximately 60% of 3rd generation iPad sales, i.e. for every 5 million iPad 2 buyers, Apple lost 3 million 3rd generation.” He expects that Apple will see a comparable rate with the iPad mini, which in turn could drive its profits down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d53ef8-2356-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

Totally agree. That's why I still have my iPad 2 and use it every day.

Tried the 3 and returned it after a few days. The retina screen was good but the whole package never felt quite right in comparison to the 2.

Bought a Kindle Fire HD last week and I am very impressed. A lot of fun for the price. Have yet to see the mini but have this gut feeling that I will wait until next year to see the inevitable better spec upgrade.

Again, it just feels like a rush job to get it out for the holiday season.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Singh said documents from the patent case between Apple and Samsung showed that the “iPad 2 cannibalized approximately 60% of 3rd generation iPad sales, i.e. for every 5 million iPad 2 buyers, Apple lost 3 million 3rd generation.” He expects that Apple will see a comparable rate with the iPad mini, which in turn could drive its profits down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d53ef8-2356-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html

I wonder if the 16gb wifi mini will now drive sales of the 2 down. I suspect the 2 sold so well because it was the cheapest iPad you could buy at a retailer.

I can also see them trotting out the 16gb wifi iP3 as the $399 model once the iP5 is introduced.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
I wonder if the 16gb wifi mini will now drive sales of the 2 down. I suspect the 2 sold so well because it was the cheapest iPad you could buy at a retailer.

I can also see them trotting out the 16gb wifi iP3 as the $399 model once the iP5 is introduced.

I honestly don't think that the iPad 2 sales will be going down. Apple set it at a price point that's 'just right' for new buyers. I was at the Apple Store in Walnut Creek and while I was spending time playing with the iPad Mini at least three older people bought the iPad 2. And same thing happened while shopping at the base exchange. They didn't have the mini of the iPad 4 in stock but people still wanted the iPad 2. This is just something I've noticed since the new iDevice releases on Friday.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I returned my iPad mini today as well to get a iPad 4, main reason was the screen, second reason was the I didn't want the middle device between iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

I share your sentiments. The iPad 4 is blazing fast with retina screen.

If Apple had opted for A6 processor in mini it might be a close call. Not even talking about retina display. If mini had faster processor and 1GB RAM I would have felt it was better buy even at the expense of battery life.

Sure Apple could squeeze out at least 8 hours battery on 7.85 inch non retina display with A6 processor.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I honestly don't think that the iPad 2 sales will be going down. Apple set it at a price point that's 'just right' for new buyers. I was at the Apple Store in Walnut Creek and while I was spending time playing with the iPad Mini at least three older people bought the iPad 2. And same thing happened while shopping at the base exchange. They didn't have the mini of the iPad 4 in stock but people still wanted the iPad 2. This is just something I've noticed since the new iDevice releases on Friday.

Older people doesn't really care about faster cpu and looking for budget Tablet would prefer Ipad 2 for the price and bigger screen.

Ipad mini more likely targeted younger audiences but those segment would prefer the new ipod touch at similar price point.

Ipad mini are for those who want to try smaller ipad and might return within days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.