Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Read your post and saw something funny that you wrote. Beginning with the part that you said about the iPad 4 "it is really heavy". Than you wrote down below "3rd Generation weight you could live with" than soon after you wrote " 4th Generation seems more like a "S" since it still has the same design and weight"

How can it have the same weight as the ipad 3 when you said the iPad 4 was real heavy over the iPad 3 ?

Its not an "S" version simply because of the faster CPU, the better FaceTime HD over the other models, the better tweaked WiFi hardware, and the smaller connector. Those things make it an iPad 4, not ipad 3S. ;)

Aha. But remember, at the time the iPad 3 was released, you could live with the weight because 1) the Retina was completely new and brilliant and an acceptable tradeoff for the heavy weight and 2) you expected the next refresh to become thinner and lighter as is the case for almost all refreshed models. Kinda like, "Gee the iPad 2 is lighter but I'll take Retina even if it means a heavier iPad."

Because the iPad 4 is a refresh and has the same weight, it is no longer acceptable and it is now too heavy. Everything has Retina now and you expect with the advancement in battery and technology, it is a letdown that it is the same weight as the iPad 3.

----------

No no. Go back and read my question again.

If you are inferring that the title doesn't exactly match the body of the thread, it is due to space limitations that MacRumors set on the amount of space in the title. I basically meant "I hate to say it but 4th generation owners will feel more burned next year with the iPad 5 than 3rd generation owners felt burned with the iPad 4 this year."

I figured I can get away with a bad title since I can explain it better in the post.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
why would anyone feel burned on a purchase.. There's people still using the 1st gen ipad and are very happy..

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Apple's competitors are putting out innovative products with better specs and lower prices, but what's even worse is that Apple is putting out products that carry outdated technology. The iPad Mini screen comes from 2007 and the processor from 2011.

I'm OK with iPod iterations. The iPod Touch came out in 2007 and we've basically gotten nothing but different sized versions of the same thing. But, I am not pleased with 6 month product cycles, new connectors (I have a drawer full of these stupid battery and connector cables for Apple, and maybe three for all of my Android and Windows devices), and premium prices. At these prices, I expect more innovative products.

Concretely speaking, they should wait to release the iPad 4 with a new body, new connector, and new processor all together next year. That is a real upgrade, and one that doesn't jerk around their customers. It's not innovation, but it is more fair to their customers.

I've got an iPad 3 I was planning on selling to upgrade to the 4, but now that the resale value has been completely trashed, I am thinking it would be better to just hold onto it for a year or two and transition over to platforms that actually have competition, innovation, and more realistic pricing.

What's the point of buying a 4 when the Google Nexus is lighter, faster, cheaper, and better (the best display on the market)?

So what you are saying is that the only thing missing from the iPad 4 is a new body style?

It's ok, that's pretty much de-rigeur for updates - despite what changes inside, the only thing that gets people excited is a physical change so they can advertise how hip they are.

Fwiw, the Mini's screen is equivalent to mid 2010, at worst, when they started using IPS panels in their mobile devices. Please quit it with the 2007 line.

Personally, I prefer it when companies find a form factor that is truly excellent and stick with it and refine it. Far better than changing every year bouncing from one design to the next because the have to appear relevant.

goldsaint

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Gamer : thats the problem

Its an impressive spec bump, but makes little impact in day-to-day use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M

However, if you are a heavy gamer, the 4 might be the way to go but I think that is not most users.

I agree with the OP - those who upgraded from 3 to 4 will really be upset when the 5 comes out. It will be lighter, thinner and have better battery life.

I have a 3, and I'm actually happy for the spec bump. It keeps the iPad competitive with the Androids until the next big transformation next year.

Nothing against you, but quoting what Apple and others are doing to get points on how they make a product ''evolve'' : the GPU (Graphic card).

Because ''now'' on a mobile device that cost from 529 to approx 1K you can play Angry birds at full res in HD !! Wooohoo.

Why people have never wrote that at this price you can get a Ps vita + Ps3 or build the perfect gaming desktop ? You want to play games, get systems that can play real games.

Am i the only one not fooled by the GPU marketing campaign Apple is doing now ?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
So what you are saying is that the only thing missing from the iPad 4 is a new body style?

It's ok, that's pretty much de-rigeur for updates - despite what changes inside, the only thing that gets people excited is a physical change so they can advertise how hip they are.

Fwiw, the Mini's screen is equivalent to mid 2010, at worst, when they started using IPS panels in their mobile devices. Please quit it with the 2007 line.

Personally, I prefer it when companies find a form factor that is truly excellent and stick with it and refine it. Far better than changing every year bouncing from one design to the next because the have to appear relevant.

Actually, I do think physical changes are important, not to make it seem more hip, but to reduce the weight and bring it into line with the great changes made to the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch.

As for the screen, it has the same resolution as the original iPod Touch did in 2007. So, despite having the capability to produce a better product, Apple has chosen to make a compromised one. They haven't really moved forward with the iPad Mini's screen at all.

The iPad 3 was a fantastic upgrade, but is going to be surpassed in a few days by Google. I do wonder how much it matters, because at a certain point (maybe around 260 ppi) you may not be able to tell the difference. I'll wait and see what it looks like.

I don't know who isn't going to feel burned by what has turned into a 6 month cycle with what appears to be staggered upgrades. Perhaps the only device that is truly at the leading edge in Apple's touch / phone / tablet lineup is the iPhone 5. It seems to have the best of everything. All of the other products are lagging behind to some degree. I guess we'll see what happens in the spring if the iPad 4 magically gets a fantastic new body and the iPad Mini gets a retina display. I figure there is no reason to buy these two products now.

McPaul

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Vancouver
Nope. Referring to the fact that you are active like a greedy three year old.

Stoppit.

Aha. But remember, at the time the iPad 3 was released, you could live with the weight because 1) the Retina was completely new and brilliant and an acceptable tradeoff for the heavy weight and 2) you expected the next refresh to become thinner and lighter as is the case for almost all refreshed models. Kinda like, "Gee the iPad 2 is lighter but I'll take Retina even if it means a heavier iPad."

Because the iPad 4 is a refresh and has the same weight, it is no longer acceptable and it is now too heavy. Everything has Retina now and you expect with the advancement in battery and technology, it is a letdown that it is the same weight as the iPad 3.

----------

If you are inferring that the title doesn't exactly match the body of the thread, it is due to space limitations that MacRumors set on the amount of space in the title. I basically meant "I hate to say it but 4th generation owners will feel more burned next year with the iPad 5 than 3rd generation owners felt burned with the iPad 4 this year."

I figured I can get away with a bad title since I can explain it better in the post.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Nope. Referring to the fact that you are active like a greedy three year old.

Stoppit.

Sorry if I love the MacRumors community and enjoy posting here. Congrats, you're the first to be put on my ignore list.

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Boy I should have bought a refurb ipad 3rd gen instead of this 4 to replace my ipad 2 that way I could join the millions of butt hurt ipad3 owners, talk about how my 3 is almost as good, bash on apple for releasing it so soon, then brag about how I will purchase a ipad 5 and how much better it will be then the 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.