Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Dude, take a Xanax and chill out. I like to keep my stuff flawless too but it's a phone and sometimes crap happens. If you literally giving yourself headaches over your phone you have some seriously weird priorities.

I feel for the OP of this thread too though.

I've not relaxed for two days since my phone has two big chips in it..all I can think of is replacing the handset. I'll have the phone for a year. :eek:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Having AppleCare is so liberating.

Couldn't have said it better. Instead of spending close to half the cost of AppleCare+ on one of those hideous cases, money is much better spent on AC+ for the complete peace of mind of using your phone and not worrying about it.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I have Applecare+ & I also use a really slim clear back cover. I only use the back cover to protect it from scratches. Seeing scratches on the phone would irritate me on a daily basis. This thin case won't do anything if I drop it. The screen will most likely smash...thats when AppleCare+ comes in for me. Or after a year & a half....I just may "accidentally" drop the phone. ;)

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
You're not the only one.

Kept my iPhone is an Otterbox for almost two years and forgot what my phone actually looked (and felt) like.

Same with me. Just about every iPhone I have ever had (all of them except the 5) has spent it's whole life in a otter or a lifeproof. Only time I ever touched it was when it came out of the box and when I took it out of the case to clean the case.

Always looked mint when it came time to resell.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Once you realize that it's just another device that will inevitably scratch, fail, etc, your worries will all go away.

It's the anticipation of that first major scratch that's killing you.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I really thought I would become obsessive like some of you guys considering how long it took me to get mine, but I didn't. I got mine yesterday. My phone is completely naked, no skins or screen protectors, etc. I went out last night - a few hours after I got it. Went to club with several friends and had several drunk strangers handle my phone to take pictures without a care. My phone was being passed around while I was just doing whatever. I didn't care that phone wasn't even 24 hours old. Guess what? It has no scratches or any imperfections.

Life is short. It's just a phone.

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for all the informative and supportive responses, once again I'm glad to read that there are others out there who are like/or who have been like me!

I'm learning to be less a lot less ridiculous and obsessive over it, it's working and I feel a lot better. I'm enjoying my phone more now, I'm actually treating it as a phone and not 'worshiping' it.

What's getting me through is the thought that I can just replace it before my 12 month warranty ends, so damaging it isn't a big deal anymore (of course, I'll still generally take care of it). Also; over time, like everything else it is going to receive it's wear and tear, but as long as it doesn't effect the inside, I won't care (as much).

Thanks again!

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Sounds like something you need to discuss with a therapist. I'm actually serious. If you're having physical repercussions over an obsession with a physical object like a phone, you have bigger issues. Not only that, but you obsess over keeping this object in pristine condition for aesthetics and you put an ugly-ass case on it just to protect it? You have it all backwards. It's a tool, nothing more. It's like getting an anxiety attack over a screwdriver.

What this guy said.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Basically every new apple product is becoming prettier and prettier which means their products become more prone to scratches and wear which leads to people becoming more and more Obsessed

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Enjoy the iphone5 don't worry about knicks and scratches. Compare your IPHONE5 to a new car ...........eventually its going to get scratches, you want to enjoy it while you have it. And remember its a device to help you do something.

mp3junkie

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
OP, you need to chill. It's just a phone. No need to obsess over things like this. There are certainly more things to worry about than a phone.

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I laughed out loud reading the first few posts.

Just got the mini and I'm kinda going through that. It will only be for 48 hrs. Then my kids can touch it.

Great thread.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Sounds like something you need to discuss with a therapist. I'm actually serious. If you're having physical repercussions over an obsession with a physical object like a phone, you have bigger issues. Not only that, but you obsess over keeping this object in pristine condition for aesthetics and you put an ugly-ass case on it just to protect it? You have it all backwards. It's a tool, nothing more. It's like getting an anxiety attack over a screwdriver.

QFT. This is exactly right.

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
i went through a similar phase with my galaxy s2, but mine was with flashing roms, didnt like the stock feel but could not find the perfect rom so i became a flashoholic for a while.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I think a lot of us get tied up with the fact that Apple products hold their value pretty well. This obsession with keeping the device in mint condition so that it can be sold a year or two down the road... Basically you handicap your enjoyment of the device for the sake of perhaps $100 - $150 difference in value between a mint used device and a slightly scuffed/scratched used device. We all walk around with mini computers worth $600+ in our pockets, and treat them accordingly.
I think spending time on forums causes obsessive behavior too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.