Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Im such a clumsy idiot, was having a quick pee, text came through and iphone dropped out of my hand into the toilet, quickly fished it out and was top half submerged. :mad:

Phone LCD was on when i checked, only problem was no touch screen so took it apart using the ifixit instructions. Dried it out with air spray, turned phone on and lines down the lcd screen. So ive took it apart again and put in a container full of rice and put in the airing cupboard to dry out for next couple of days.

* Has anyone tried the rice trick and did it work?
* Im worried that the LCD is damaged with the distortion of screen. At first it was black and white lines and now its more of a lighter colour. Full brightness is on so I know the phone is functioning in some capacity through the battery (hoping ive not damaged the LCD leads when dismantling, though did as gentle as possible).
* What are my options at this stage, i got the phone less than a week ago so to say im stressing is an understatement :(

Any advice? Cheers

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Take it to Apple my friend.

Corrosion can and will make an appearance at some point. If not now then later.

Be honest and hopefully they will feel bad for you and waive the $229.

Then buy AppleCare on the replacement as soon as you can afford to.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Take it to Apple my friend.

Corrosion can and will make an appearance at some point. If not now then later.

Be honest and hopefully they will feel bad for you and waive the $229.

Then buy AppleCare on the replacement as soon as you can afford to.

Is the $220 (though i live in uk :p) to replace the phone or repair it? Mind you, when i opened the phone I couldnt see where the water indicator is. The only red bit i can see is a small sticker right at the top near the home button.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
was the text that urgent?

Never got that far :D. I was actually playing Agent Dash at the time and trying to pee, multi talented obviously... but something i wont try and reinact again I can tell you that!!

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Never got that far :D. I was actually playing Agent Dash at the time and trying to pee, multi talented obviously... but something i wont try and reinact again I can tell you that!!

LOL! atleast you have a good attitude about the whole thing. I hope your phone dries out and is ok. Best of luck.;)

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
If I didnt laugh about it id only cry :cool:

Will probably take to apple and see what they can do. Not expecting anything else but a nice £175 charge.. my own fault though i guess

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
ah that sucks! I am so sorry! I would bring it to Apple too. I know my friend dropped hers in the toilet one time and did the rice thing and it worked, I think it was the 3G.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Obviously not multi talented.

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Whatever goes into the toilet, I don't want back.

Yes, I have issues.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
That's fraud. Plus, they do check for damage when you return.

we need to know where he bought it first

if its at apple there is no chance he gets away with it but if its best buy or walmart he wont have any trouble

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
we need to know where he bought it first

if its at apple there is no chance he gets away with it but if its best buy or walmart he wont have any trouble

Whether he bought it at Apple, Walmart, or Best Buy (the latter two, I'm not sure exist in the UK) doesn't matter. It's still fraud.

----------

Whatever goes into the toilet, I don't want back.

Yes, I have issues.

Hey, that's the most normal thing I've seen posted here.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Whether he bought it at Apple, Walmart, or Best Buy (the latter two, I'm not sure exist in the UK) doesn't matter. It's still fraud.

----------

Hey, that's the most normal thing I've seen posted here.

maybe but for me its up to the other guy to figure out the issue

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
After I dropped mine (iphone 3G and iphone 4 in a toilet), I gave them a 5 minute bath in rubbing alcohol then dried them in a jar of rice under a lamp, after a few days they ended up working perfectly fine. The only issue I had was brighter spots on my 3G in some areas (water between glass and LCD). the 3G worked for 3 more years (was lost over the summer) and the iphone 4 has been working just fine for almost a year and a half now.

edit: correction
That's actually due to water inside the LCD, between the LCD panel and the LED diffuser panel.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.