Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Clean install or upgrade of Win 8 on rMBP 15"?

Hello, given that Apple has not upgraded Bootcamp for Windows 8, can I install Windows 7 64-bit now on my just arrived MBP Retina Display 15" and then upgrade to Windows 8 later? Which way of installing Windows 8 has less/no problem?
hajime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
msteudel
macrumors newbie

My experience in the past has always been that a clean install of the target OS is best, but I've also been reading the w7 -> w8 is pretty painless .... so I think it comes down to need .... how quickly do you need windows up and running ... also if you are upgrading you'll need to have w7 already installed and activated (also "so I've read"). I've been looking for a way to do a clean install with w8 upgrade since I never got w7 and only have vista around which isn't compat with my rmbp
msteudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:20 AM   #3
TFMTASAD
macrumors regular

I've upgraded my *cough* pirated *cough* copy of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit to windows 8 (not pirated) and it went smoothly.

I'm using an old Mac Mini (early 2009) and it's working great. Just go the upgrade route, it transfers all your files, settings and drivers painlessly. It's much less of a pain in the ass than a clean install of windows and it works just as good.
TFMTASAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
thewarrior008
macrumors newbie

I would recommend you a clean install since upgrading from a previous OS would take more space because the upgrade DOES NOT delete the previous Windows folder. Instead, it is renamed to Windows.bak.
thewarrior008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
hajime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarrior008 View Post
I would recommend you a clean install since upgrading from a previous OS would take more space because the upgrade DOES NOT delete the previous Windows folder. Instead, it is renamed to Windows.bak.
What if we manually delete Windows.bak? Will it still consume more space than a clean install?
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac