Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Would help if you said which case you meant.

Do you think of the Speck Satin as a bad hard case?

Is the InCase Hammered going to damage the computer?

I would recommend everyone to go for hardshell case. Most of the damages occur during your work with the device. This is not something you can resolve with the bag. I've just received my rubberized case for rMBP 15" and it looks gorgeous.

minazaki

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Just received my Speck SeeThru Satin Black Hard Shell Case for 15" MBP Retina Display and scared of using it.

The edges are sharp and it says to remove the case every month to clean any debris as this may scratch the macbook.

I don't want to be in a situation where i'm trying to keep my macbook in pristine condition using this case and the case caused the scratches.

What are your experience's? :confused:

See my review for the Speck Satin in black on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R273Y3OJ100HK5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I have been happy with the case so far.

Regarding the sharp edges: I was also initially worried, particularly about the retention tabs that keep the case secured to the computer. It has been a non-issue. I have removed the case 2-3x now, and there has been no sign of damage to the aluminum.

Regarding possible trapped debris: virtually non issue. There was a very small amount of trapped dust after 2 weeks of constant use. No scratches or damage to the aluminum as a result. I gave both the inner surface of the case as well as the laptop a good thorough wipe-down, and reattached the case. Took less than 5 minutes.

Main issue is definitely heat, and if I am going to be doing anything CPU/GPU intensive, I will generally do it with the case off.

Anyway, my review on Amazon basically sums up my thoughts on the case; overall, I do think it's a good product.

That said, I am now thinking of shedding the hard case in favor for a nice, high quality sleeve. Picaso Lab in brown/red is my current front-runner. Anyone else care to offer a suggestion based on personal experience?

bbasra

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Many thanks for your post and contribution.

I've just fitted the Speck case. It does indeed add a little weight and size but nothing to complain about.

With the Speck case fitted, it still fits my Cool Bananas Rain Suit Stripes Sleeve so i happy chap!

..... my little boy say's the case spoils the laptop look .... leave it off lol.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I hope it is ok to write about my own Retina MacBook Pro sleeves here.

Just over a year ago, together with my fiancée we created Cocones, a portable devices sleeve brand focusing on Apple gear.

Our sleeves are handmade from thick German-made 100% Merino wool felt and natural leather.

Front view of the MBP 15" Retina model:

il_fullxfull.369915830_a4qd.jpg

Back view (grey/tan colourway):

il_fullxfull.369911078_ison.jpg

Side view showing how flap can optionally be closed on the outside:

il_fullxfull.375181503_ik8m.jpg

They are available now at http://cocon.es/mbpro with the new 13" Retina sizes coming very soon.

Again, I hope I am not breaching forum rules here with this presentation.

Last edited:

harry454

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Picked up a SpeckSmart Shell and a Incase SLIM Neopreene Sleeve. It fits the Retina Macbook perfectly!

As well I just slot the sleeve into my Knomo Bungo Messenger Bag, that way the Retina doesn't wobble in the Knomo's compartment as it was designed for the normal Macbook Pro.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Finally decided on the Rickshaw sleeve--looks like a great product. Today is a great day to buy--20 percent off for election day--code "vote2012"

xpacblack_3_5.jpg

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I'm using Speck SmartShell - Clear for my 15'' rMBP. I had no concerns till now. It's even thinner than I expected. I made it more thinner with only using the down part of the case :) There is no heat or any other kind of issues for me till now. I was using the same case in same conditions with my previous MBP-2009 and had no problems with it for 2 years. I would suggest that case to everyone.

dragonev

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
UK
The Speck 15" Retina version is about $50 here in Canada, so not too bad--nowhere near £40!

Good find if the other one is just as good, although I don't see how that's possible.

What exactly concerns you? Similar rubberised case with all holes in it for the new cooling system. So yeah, pretty much the same thing.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Speck now that the SeeThru Satin for the rMBP in 4 colors (Black, Purple, "Malachite", and "Peacock"). I believe these cases are supposed to be thicker/sturdier than the SmartShell, but nothing on the site really shows the difference.

http://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases/macbook-pro-with-retina-display/seethru-satin-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display.html

Just bought the Malachite Green from Amazon ($38 and Prime) ... Will post impressions and pics on Saturday :)

dragonev

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
UK
I'm considering the speck, have you tried it?

The Kuzy seems to have vents all long the bottom for some reason!

No, I just don't see the point of paying 2x for the same thing. I am satisfied with mine and it also come with keyboard cover which is nice small compliment .

staradder

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I need help. I have got the mac OCD. There are just too many cases to choose from.

Currently I am deciding between the waterfield sleevecase with the strap and the picaso lab case.

One review of the waterfield sleevecase however said that there are rough material inside that may scratch the macbook pro retina. Is this true? Please confirm, all you waterfield sleevecase owners.

But in fear that I may have missed out some really good sleeves I need your advice and I want the following criteria met.

It has to be a good fit(no space for it to move around inside the case).
It must have some sort of protection.
Preferably water-proof in case I get caught in the rain.
Aesthetics are just a bonus.

help relieve my ocd THANKS

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I suggest you start a thread for that purpose, so this one doesn't get bogged down with 13" only posts.

I dont think that will be a problem. There are very few 13" rMBP owners compared to 15". I've found very few sleeves made just for the 13" rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.