Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Paper' Introduces New Color Mixing Feature and Support for Touch-Sensitive Stylus

iPad sketchbook app Paper, an Apple Design Award winner, has been updated with a clever new color picker that lets users "mix" colors like they would mix different color paint together.

The app also adds support for the Pogo Connect stylus, an $80 drawing tool that uses Bluetooth 4.0 to determine how hard an artist is drawing and Paper adjusts accordingly.

The Verge has more on how the new color mixer works:
Quote:
Paper now includes a circular color mixer that lets you tap to pick a color (using RGB sliders, if you'd like), then swipe in a circle clockwise to mix colors and counter-clockwise to unmix. A long press lets you save the color you've made to one of the many black color slots the app now provides. Color is a $1.99 in-app purchase, like many of the app's add-on brushes. If you don't choose to buy it, you still have access to the palette of colors that shipped with the free app.
Paper for iPad is a free download from the App Store, with additional drawing brushes and the color picker available as in-app purchases. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Paper' Introduces New Color Mixing Feature and Support for Touch-Sensitive Stylus
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Summersify
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Summersify
An amazing addition to a brilliant app
Good job 53! Keep improving it!
Summersify is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

This app is great. Use it frequently. Also have a cosmonaut stylus. Might check out this pogo stylus and see how it is.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

I may have to download this. Does anyone have the stylus? Think it would be good for my little boy?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Quu
macrumors 65816

This application is one of the best ever made for the iPad. I love using it and I can't wait to try the colour mixing feature.
Quu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Looks fantastic, this is the kind of simple yet functional workflow that separates average UI design form really great UI design.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Gobeatty
macrumors newbie

"Think it would be good for my little boy?"

Paper is my boy's (ages 7 and 9) favorite drawing app. Only feature they have ever asked for is more colors. "Daddy, I want make this Pokemon bright green. I can't get the colors I want!"

Beyond that, and now fixed, perfect app. Each boy has his own 'notebook' in the app with their own drawings as a cover. They love it and get annoyed at other apps when two-finger cirlces don't undo actions or a swipe up from the bottom doesn't bring up the tools!

And the app is FREE to download. You get the caligraphy pen and the eraser and you can create as many books/pages as you want. I used just these for months before springing for the other tools, so you CAN do a lot with the free version. It isn't 'hobbled' at all.
Gobeatty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:03 PM   #8
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobeatty View Post
wnload. You get the caligraphy pen and the eraser and you can create as many books/pages as you want. I used just these for months before springing for the other tools, so you CAN do a lot with the free version. It isn't 'hobbled' at all.
Sorry but I have to disagree about the 'hobbled' part. It is for many uses. Well not hobbled perhaps but certainly not free. If you are really looking for an art app this one will cost you a great deal to get the tools you need. And when there are other apps that charge you a one time fee for all their bits it's hard to justify this piecemeal system. Especially when you have to pay for things like pressure support and a color mixer. Those should just be part of the app

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I may have to download this. Does anyone have the stylus? Think it would be good for my little boy?
Depends on how little you are talking about. if you mean 5-7 years old little then probably not. Most stylus are either physically too small or too heavy for small hands. Especially ones that are pressure sensitive via bluetooth.

And frankly unless your kid is some kind of art savant they really don't need anything that fancy. a finger or a cheap $5 stylus works great for most little guys. My nephew is 6 and uses a cheap stylus that we wrapped in colored tape to make it thick enough for him to hold it well and he loves it.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Ade-iMac-177
macrumors regular

Cool. i thought i saw that paper had a color wheel when it was quickly shown at the iPad mini keynote.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:20 PM   #10
coder12
macrumors 6502

Only the Pogo Connect got support? If you're drawing on an iPad, you should be using the Jot Touch.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:40 PM   #11
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

One evening I purchased the complete in-app pack purchases and to this day i'm glad I did. It only cost me under $10 and it's worth it. I've always been on my iPad and notice I used it only when I'm outside. But being able to draw with more colors will be totally worth it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

This is one of those apps that I love not only for what it is but for the philosophy behind it. To compare it to other art applications is to miss the point completely.

Powerful tools are often also very complex tools. While Paper is powerful, it isn't designed to be a complete art app and, frankly, that's a good thing. The vast majority of people won't ever use 90% of what the other more "fully featured" art apps can do. All those extra features serve only to add complexity to the app. Rather than empowering the user they slow him down, forcing him to wade through and manage fiddly sub screens and what-not.

Paper is designed to give you a large canvas, some simple but powerful tools and then to sod off out of your way and let you get on with sketching and jotting! No, you won't use this app to create a masterpiece (probably), nor will you use it to design professional quality graphics. You'll use Paper to create quick and beautiful images as part of your creative flow. It's a tool, and a toy. It's about expression, not mastery. I applaud 53 for daring to be different and happily pay for the IAP because I want to see more stuff like this.
Zunjine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:03 PM   #13
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Ugh, I wish all these pressure sensitive stylus makers would come together and agree on an standard. It's such a mess right now.

(Either that or for Apple to get over their pen phobia and produce their own.)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
One evening I purchased the complete in-app pack purchases and to this day i'm glad I did. It only cost me under $10 and it's worth it. I've always been on my iPad and notice I used it only when I'm outside. But being able to draw with more colors will be totally worth it.
I just ran the update. I had previously purchased the complete pack as well. However, I had to purchase the Color mixer separately for $1.99.
TuffLuffJimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:20 AM   #15
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Ugh, I wish all these pressure sensitive stylus makers would come together and agree on an standard. It's such a mess right now.

(Either that or for Apple to get over their pen phobia and produce their own.)
Much agreed. With some of the recent 180s that they have done, perhaps next spring or fall we will see an "iPad Pro" with a built in active digitizer. One can always hope that Windows 8 tablets with wacom digitizers gain significant market share so that Apple takes the demand seriously.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:29 AM   #16
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Thanks for the advice guys. One more stupid question...

Once the screen goes full page so its just the white paper, how do you get the pens and colours back?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:31 PM   #17
zoomy942
macrumors newbie

Swipe up form the bottom of the screen
zoomy942 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #18
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
...this one will cost you a great deal...
...if you consider $9 is a great deal to pay for a great app.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Zoligirl
macrumors newbie

Great app!

This is by far the best drawing tool I have used on the iPad. I can't believe people are complaining about the price - have you ever bought art supplies? Cost a heck of a lot of more than this did! Recommending this to everyone I know who sketches!
Zoligirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion