Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
We'll get you onto 4G when it launches early next year.

So if you've bought an iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III or Samsung Galaxy Note II, simply bring it back to one of our stores. Even if you are still in contract, we'll knock off 70% of your remaining contract charges, letting you upgrade your phone early and start a fresh 4G contract. For other phones see details below.

These terms are for the Vodafone 4G phone promise.

1. How do I qualify?
To qualify for the Vodafone 4G phone promise you need to have a Vodafone pay monthly plan with:

an iPhone 5
a Samsung Galaxy Note II
a Samsung Galaxy SIII (purchased on or after 26 October 2012) or
any other phone that we announce at a later date
You need to have made a minimum of three monthly payments. Sorry, it isn't available if you're on a price plan where the allowance is shared between users or if you hire your phone from us.

2. Can I end my current contract early?
If you qualify, we'll let you end your current contract early, once you've:

Paid your line rental charges until the end of your minimum period. We’ll discount the remaining amount by 70% and let you know how much you need to pay.
Returned your iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note II or Samsung Galaxy SIII to us in good condition. We’ll send your phone off for assessment. If we decide that your phone isn’t in good condition we’ll have to add on something for the damage. Then we’ll let you know how much this will be and what to do if you don’t want to proceed with the Vodafone 4G phone promise. See the table below for details on condition and cost.
and

Upgraded to a 12 or 24 month contract with a 4G phone on an equivalent or higher 4G price plan.
3. Returned Phone Condition Table and Charges

Condition Description Additional Charge
A Phone and charger returned in good condition. This means you return the phone and charger in the same condition we provided it to you suitable for its intended purpose, subject to fair wear and tear. No additional charge
B Full working order, in fair cosmetic condition. Deep scratches or chips to screen, chips or dents to casing. Water damage indicators show water damage but phone is fully functional. Wear to ports. £75
C Signs of heavy usage. Cracks to the casing, or screen damage. Phone powers up. Heavy use of ports, damage to keys/buttons. £150
D Not functional, excessive damage to screen or casing. Damage to keys/buttons. Will not power up, non-original manufacturer supplied components. Specification doesn't match phone originally supplied, non-manufacturer approved operating system. Beyond repair. £250
Phones returned without all the original battery charging equipment will be subject to an additional £15 charge.

4. What if I change my mind?
Don't worry, you can send your new phone back according to our standard returns policy. This means you'll have seven working days (from the day you collect your new phone) to change your mind. Find out more about our returns policy.

If you change your mind, or don't want to pay the extra fee if your old phone isn't in good condition, you can cancel your 4G price plan. If you do this, we'll put you back on your old price plan, give back your phone (or give you a similar one) and refund the line rental fees you paid to end your contract early.

5. When's this offer available?
We'll offer the Vodafone 4G phone promise from when we launch our 4G network and phone until 31 December 2013.

6. Changes to the Vodafone 4G phone promise
This offer is subject to us having a 4G network and 4G phones, so we may have to amend these terms from time to time. Check this page for updates.

Version: 30 October 2012

Who are we? Vodafone Limited, Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-...ucts-and-services/vodafone-4g-terms/index.htm

Interesting stuff

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Guessing this means only be able up upgrade to the next iphone as surely swapping 3G to 4G wouldn't happen oh the iphone 5?

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
They can't do anything til the Auction... That's when they will

That is what I was alluding to - I should have been clearer. Having said that Vodafone could do a lot to increase the 3G bandwidth which would offer some decent speeds without the need for 4G.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
This is a good move, and a necessary move by them, as O2 are offering something similar at the moment.

when the next iPhone comes out, and Vodafone are operating LTE on the 800MHz band, fingers crossed that it will be compatible. I live right next to a Vodafone mast so signal is pretty decent. With LTE, speeds would be awesome!

Another good move would be to roll out a DC-HSPA+ network alongside it. I'd imagine the infrastructure in place currently would support it, but have no idea if the 4G Auctions include this service as well :confused:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
That is what I was alluding to - I should have been clearer. Having said that Vodafone could do a lot to increase the 3G bandwidth which would offer some decent speeds without the need for 4G.

This.. I'm ready to jump ship back to t-mobile/orange given i get an ok signal almost everywhere but my husband consustently gets H in more places than me. It (subjectively) feels like they have been investing to increase their bandwidth, rather than vodafone..

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
I took out a 18 month Galaxy S3 contract with Vodafone the week they came out. So I'm guessing I'm not even eligible for this since the S3 had to be purchased after October.

Given also the fact that you have to return your phone, I would imagine for a lot of people unless you're taking out a 24 month contract _now_ it would be cheaper to sell your phone and pay the remainder off yourself. It will be for me anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.