Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Here's another angle to this problem. I use my wifi only iPad on the go using my iPhone as a hotspot. It's absurd to pay for mobile data twice and this setup works great except for GPS. Im less asking for GPS hardware on the iPad, and more just for this information to be shared from a tethered iPhone. It's all inside apples ecosystem, so I can't think of any excuse beyond they literally just want the extra money of someone buying a ton of redundant tech.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Can somebody tell me why apple doesn't put a GPS in the iPod Touch, or the non-cellular iPads?

No one here can address that as you should know. And Apple will not weigh in with one either

It seems like they are missing a big market segment - people without smart phones that want good mapping and location-based apps.

It can't cost anything to add, and in any case, they would make it back, and more, by selling more location-based apps.

Interesting OP. After asking a question that no one here can answer, but Apple, trying to give you some what of a reasonable answer, you started debating/arguing with the members instead. Why is that ? Give it a break. Only Apple knows the answer. Ask them :confused:

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I love all the conspiracy theorists here who think it's nothing more that the apple tax and money that's preventing them from including GPS in the wifi-only model. If that were the case, then don't you think Microsoft or Samsung would include GPS in their wifi-only models as a way to distinguish themselves? As far as I'm aware, they haven't done so. They must be in on the conspiracy too I guess.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Out of curiosity how many non-iOS wifi only tablets have GPS?

Nexus 7
Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0
Samsung galaxy tab plus
Acer Iconia A110

they're all 7 inch ones. I'd need to look up the specs of the rest but theres probably more.

----------

I love all the conspiracy theorists here who think it's nothing more that the apple tax and money that's preventing them from including GPS in the wifi-only model. If that were the case, then don't you think Microsoft or Samsung would include GPS in their wifi-only models as a way to distinguish themselves? As far as I'm aware, they haven't done so. They must be in on the conspiracy too I guess.

:confused: samsung do include gps in their wi-fi only models

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Nexus 7
Samsung galaxy tab 7.0
Samsung galaxy tab plus
Acer Iconia A110

they're all 7 inch ones. I'd need to look up the specs of the rest but theres probably more.

----------

:confused: samsung do include gps in their wi-fi only models

Do they include map data on the device? I am starting to think that map data might be some of the limitations. My car factory navigation is dual layer DVD filled to the 8 GB capacity. That includes US and Canada. I guess it could be state or city specific maps that one would have to download, considering some of those tablets only come in 8GB or 16GB capacities.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Do they include map data on the device? I am starting to think that map data might be some of the limitations. My car factory navigation is dual layer DVD filled to the 8 GB capacity. That includes US and Canada. I guess it could be state or city specific maps that one would have to download, considering some of those tablets only come in 8GB or 16GB capacities.

google maps allows you to store their maps locally on the device. You just download the areas you need. There's other sat nav apps you can buy that have the map stored on the device.

TXGRunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
iPads and iPhones now have GPS receivers that receive signals from both the American satellite navigation system - commonly called GPS, and the Russian GLONASS system.

--snip -- As I'm sure you know, this is hardly the case. They work perfectly fine when there is no cell signal. People use them every day in the wilderness and at sea.

--snip--

This was a pleasant surprise for me. I had prepaid data plan in Thailand (where I bought my iPad 3), but I never bothered getting a US SIM.

When I unexpectedly had to visit Fayetteville, NC, I just opened maps with a wi-fi connection, looked at the addresses I needed, and left it open with the maps cached. When I picked up the rental car, I placed the iPad in the seat next to me. I didn't notice the light change because I blown away when I realized I was being tracked...how?!?!?

I read it was tied into the mobile service, and without service, I just figured I had no GPS. That was a great, unexpected plus.

In fact, I will buy an iPad mini for my mom, just for this feature, since she likes maps, likes to navigate, and her hubby is horrible at directions.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

Google search would assist you.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/co...tsyxar/Galaxy_Tab_II_10.1_Spec_Sheets_v13.pdf

As far as I know, Apple is really the only tablet manufacturer that is limiting GPS positioning to devices with cellular radios.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
UK
I have read through this thread which says the wifi only iPads can't use live navigation, can someone tell me what happened today on a trip. For curiosity I loaded the new maps in iOS 6. Telford UK is now back on the map instead of just a blur. I put in my route in to see if it matched the in car navigation, to my surprise the blue dot started moving when we moved albeit a bit jerky, it did this for about 20 miles until the map went to a blur again limited data then it didn't follow the blue dot went grey. Not once on this journey was I on any available wifi, how was it getting the data.

Screen shot to prove it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

kdarling

macrumors P6
Out of curiosity how many non-iOS wifi only tablets have GPS?

I'd guess that most Android tablets $200 and over have GPS.

It's one of the benefits of buying Android. Someone noted that it would cost an extra $260 over the price of a Nexus 7, just to get an iPad Mini model with GPS.

The Garmin etc are true GPS devices with multi satellite receivers. The iPad GPS is piggybacked onto the cellular chip. It doesn't use cellular data, but does use a combination of satellite and cellular tower signals for positioning. It also uses the cellular antennas for GPS. I suppose Apple could use stand alone GPS receiver chips but the cost with antennas would probably approach that of the cellular chips.

GPS uses satellite signals. It does not use cellular towers.

What confuses people is that the host software can seed the first position calculation using a cell tower's location. It might also use a cell tower for communications with a GPS assistance server to more quickly download satellite info. However, neither is necessary.

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006

Can't speak for Samsung, but my wifi-only Motorola Xoom DOES have GPS. Real GPS, not A-GPS.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I have the iPad2 with Wifi & cellular and decided to get the mini WIFI only because I rarely use the data with the iPad 2 and decided I'd save the $130. It never occurred to me that the GPS chip was missing. I have Navigon and thought that it might be useful (or cool) to get a mount for the mini and use if for a GPS. Now, this isn't really necessary as that 's what my iPhone 4S does very nicely BUT it's not having the option that bothers me. Now I'm wondering if I should exchange the mini for the cellular version when I get it. Very frustrating.

Another alternative would be to exchange iPad Mini for Nexus 7 WiFi which does have GPS. Those who come up with excuses for iPad Mini not having a GPS should think about this interesting fact.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Because if you want/need GPS apple have a superb way of charging you of an extra £100 for it.

All these reasons and excuses ... Come on people, wake up! You really believe they can't put GPS into non-cell models? Sheeez...

They'll have to before long. Just about all the competition are.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I have read through this thread which says the wifi only iPads can't use live navigation, can someone tell me what happened today on a trip. For curiosity I loaded the new maps in iOS 6. Telford UK is now back on the map instead of just a blur. I put in my route in to see if it matched the in car navigation, to my surprise the blue dot started moving when we moved albeit a bit jerky, it did this for about 20 miles until the map went to a blur again limited data then it didn't follow the blue dot went grey. Not once on this journey was I on any available wifi, how was it getting the data.

Screen shot to prove it.

Here is an answer from the community section of the Apple Store:

Will the new iPad with wi-fi only have a GPS feature?
Asked by Frank H from Oak Park Mar 31, 2012

Answer

1 Answer from the Community
Best Answer
Apple is pretty clear on this in their KB article on iOS 5 location services (KB Article # HT4995):

iOS devices without a cellular connection only use Wi-Fi for Location Services (if a Wi-Fi network is available).

GPS is available on iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models.
Answered by Daniel B from Meridian Apr 10, 2012 Flag as inappropriate

---------------------------

And here is an eve more interesting Q&A from the same source:

Does wifi only iPad have gps?
Asked by John L from Woodbury May 12, 2012

Answer
Somewhat.

Apple doesnt integrate GPS on the Wi-Fi only models, but you can still locate yourself and use Location Services only if you are connected through Wi-Fi. The cellular + Wi-Fi models are more precise on GPS as they use cellular signals to pinpoint accuracy of your location.

If you meant GPS as in Car GPS, it will be tough to drive with a Wi-Fi only model as it will keep asking you to join networks every time your out of range. Otherwise, the Cellular+ WiFi can support connection almost wherever you go.
Answered by Ivan P from Woodside Aug 13, 2012

-----------------------------

I find it very peculiar that Apple would put an obvious lie on their web site. The answer contains this false statement:

The cellular + Wi-Fi models are more precise on GPS as they use cellular signals to pinpoint accuracy of your location.

Is the guy (and Apple - because they decided to put this on their web site) really saying that cellular triangulation is more accurate than GPS? Stupid ASUS, Samsung, Motorola etc. They don't know such obvious facts! /s

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Without usable data on the road what's the point? Sure Google Maps was/is fun at home, but none of the mapping, or location based products work without data. Makes no sense really.

It makes perfect sense. You just need to have an app that has preloaded maps. If someone was to have TomTom or any other GPS app with preloaded maps, GPS would work perfectly on them without data. The real reason it doesn't have GPS? Cost containment by Appe.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
The GPS receiver is integrated into the cellular radio. The GPS and cellular functions operate separately. Location services turns the GPS receiver on and off. If satellite reception is not available, the location services defaults to wifi.

If you don't want to continuously use cellular data to update map data as you travel, you can puchase stand alone GPS apps such as Navigon or Garmin.

Correct. One more reason to buy the cellular version.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD (the large one) both come with pure GPS that work without cell or wifi connections. In the case of the Nexus 7 you can go to Google Maps while on wifi and select as many areas as you like and download the maps data for offline use. After that, the GPS works off of the offline maps. Apple can do this too, they choose not to; why I cannot say, my guess profit and to distingish the wifi and cell versions price gap.

As a further proof in point, I have the Navigon app on my iPhone 4, withit you can download any states offline map while on wifi, this includes all roads, POI etc. The entire USA and Canada is 4 gb; with that, I can pop out my sim and use the GPS like any normal GPS, routing, turn by turn directions, POI look up and routing, etc. all without data.

If third parties can do this, Apple can do it and do it cheaper. It really is about cost and profit IMHO.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
is there (or have ever been) any accessories you could connect to an i-device that would thus give it GPS function?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
to my surprise the blue dot started moving when we moved albeit a bit jerky, it did this for about 20 miles until the map went to a blur again limited data then it didn't follow the blue dot went grey. Not once on this journey was I on any available wifi, how was it getting the data.

That sounds very much like a wifi-based triangulation. Perhaps your device picked up a wifi signal or it had downloaded database of the city's wifi spots somewhere? I don't know how the iPad wifi triangulation data works in detail. But I do know I get the same jerky motion when I use my wifi iPad as a GPS.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
It would be really nice if wifi iPads had GPS...I was seriously considering a Nexus because of this alone (along with the lower price)...I can't be the only one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.