Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BtowniMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Planning to get a new iMac whenever they become available to order. I'll be using it as the family computer and I'm hoping while I'm setting it up that I can also reconfigure some of my family's accounts to get all of our devices working better together.

Here's what I'd like to do. There are three of us (myself, my spouse, our daughter). We've all got different Apple IDs and we've bought music/apps/etc with those different Apple IDs over time. In addition to the 1 iMac we'll share, each of us will have 1 iPad + 1 iPhone or iPod Touch. I'd like us to be able to share all of our music, apps, movies, TV shows, and books across all our devices. I'd like to keep Mail, Notes, Messages, Safari tabs separate for each of us. It would be great if we could share some photos/videos but not all, as well as some Reminders lists and Calendars, but again not all.

How close can I get to that? Whatever approach gets me there, how would I back all of this up? What options would I still have for parental controls on my daughter's devices? Is there a good how-to book that could guide me through what I'd need to do? Or in this situation is it just best to make an appointment at an Apple store?

Thanks in advance!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
To share music you copy them all to one account and then sync it up with iTunes Match. As long as you don't have a lot of DRM protected files you'll be alright. You're SOL with TV and Movies.

For the rest of the iCloud features, take a read through the sticky at the top for how to get all of that setup.

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I disagree with the above advice. I'd recommend keeping the accounts separate, then sharing your reminders and calendars amongst you all using the native Mac apps.I'd also advise buying one to one when you get the Mac, and using their help if you're not so confident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.