Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
The MacBook pro has much better CPU i7 quad-core and better ports like HDMI , firewire ,Thunderbolt , Audio in , Audio line out.

It even has better GPU !!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I think you got your MacBook Pros confused.
The MacBook Pros use a mobile i7, the iMac uses a desktop i7, the desktop i7 is faster.
The classic MBP does not have an HDMI interface, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display does have HDMI.
The MacBook Pro with Retina Display does not have Firewire nor does it have Audio In. The classic MBP has those two.
Firewire is looked upon as dying port by Apple, it will disappear once the classic MBPs get discontinued in one or three years.

Why the Mac mini has those ports though is another matter and for audio recording there are much better external DACs out there than the one Apple offers inside their Macs, even at reasonable prices.

And only the base iMac has worse GPU than the MBPs, the higher iMac versions have the same and better GPUs.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Why does Apple not stream line it ? But make it so confusing?

Why do this:eek::eek::eek: its like oh that put this in or take this out.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The top GPU in the old iMacs is even slightly better than the best the MacBook Pro has to offer...

----------

Why does Apple not stream line it ? But make it so confusing?

Why do this:eek::eek::eek: its like oh that put this in or take this out.

It's not confusing if you look at it from the point of a normal buyer. It either has what you need or it doesn't. There's no use in trying to understand Apple's reasoning.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think you got your MacBook Pros confused.
The MacBook Pros use a mobile i7, the iMac uses a desktop i7, the desktop i7 is faster.
All on-the-shelf iMacs are i5 based, and in that case the MBP is faster. Even the Mini is faster today. iMac stinks.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
All on-the-shelf iMacs are i5 based, and in that case the MBP is faster. Even the Mini is faster today. iMac stinks.

Wrong.

All of those i5's are DESKTOP class i5's.
All Macbook pro's and Mac Mini's have MOBILE class CPU's.

A quad core i7 as found in the 15" rMBP is about on par, to slightly better, than the BASE 21.5" iMac.

Stop spouting nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.