Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I am concerned about the glass back. Honestly it may look good but it wil be more fragile than a plastic back. Not a big fan of the glass back. I am concerned that if it breaks, how will we replace the glass?
There isnt any support for these like Apple has. That is the one huge upperhand Apple has. I guess we wait for eBay parts and threads on how to do it yourself?

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm currently on a 3GS and I've been thinking of upgrading to a used iphone 4S (similar price as a new nexus 4). But this might change my mind. The more I think of it, the less there are things that tie me up to iOS... I don't really do much on my phone: email, rss, random internet browsing, using the camera and listening to music. That might be because my phone is so slow though. But I can't really think of anything I'll miss.

I really like the iOS UI as it's simple and to the point but I haven't really used a recent Android phone. And most I see are bloated with manufacturer software. Stock Android looks decent enough.

You guys think it would be a good move, anything I would miss from an iPhone?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am concerned about the glass back. Honestly it may look good but it wil be more fragile than a plastic back. Not a big fan of the glass back. I am concerned that if it breaks, how will we replace the glass?
There isnt any support for these like Apple has. That is the one huge upperhand Apple has. I guess we wait for eBay parts and threads on how to do it yourself?

I'm very concerned about this too. onthecouchagain posted a link where someone from anandtech showed that taking off the back is pretty easy but we still need replacements.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

No, don't do it to yourself. You'll miss how the iPhone performs, you'll miss the quality of the apps (and quantity, depending on which country you're in) and the consistency of the UI. The lag that still plagues Android and its apps is the biggest killer, you don't want to be paying money in 2012 for a device that performs like that.

If you're tired of iOS and are looking for an alternative, go for a Windows Phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No, don't do it to yourself. You'll miss how the iPhone performs, you'll miss the quality of the apps (and quantity, depending on which country you're in) and the consistency of the UI. The lag that still plagues Android and its apps is the biggest killer, you don't want to be paying money in 2012 for a device that performs like that.

If you're tired of iOS and are looking for an alternative, go for a Windows Phone.

You've used the Nexus 4? Please, tell us more. This post is nothing but obfuscation.

And consistency of the UI? The dedicated back button and the dedicated menu button offers far more consistency than anything iOS has. Please explain to me why on iOS I have to go to different places to access app settings?

Gmail settings:

P52yS.png

Facebook settings:

diIAU.png

----------

I don't really do much on my phone: email, rss, random internet browsing, using the camera and listening to music.

I really like the iOS UI as it's simple and to the point but I haven't really used a recent Android phone. And most I see are bloated with manufacturer software. Stock Android looks decent enough.

I'd argue that Gmail easily beats iOS Mail. Not to mention you get the choice of your own default keyboard. If you type a lot of emails (or text) on your phone, believe me, you will be blown away that you got by without Swiftkey or Swype before.

I'd argue RSS is better on Android thanks to widgets.

I'd argue browsing the web is better too. No max number of tabs, easier to access private browsing (takes iOS 5-6 steps to switch to Private browsing), your choice of default browser.

Camera would probably be better on the iPhone if you were talking about the iPhone 5, but since you're talking about the 4S, the Nexus 4 probably edges it out. I hear the Nexus 4 matches current competition's camera.

Music is a bit of a toss up.

As for simplicity of UI, I find iOS is so simple that it's actually harder to do things. Stock Android has a bit more of a learning curve, but that's because it offers you more flexibility. Once you figure it out (it's not that hard) the phone becomes far easier to use than iOS. In fact, once you set it up, it's catered specifically to your needs and usage. You can set toggles for your most frequent settings, you can choose whatever keyboard you want, you can choose what lock screen shows up every time you wake your device, or what browser you want to launch, or how you want to receive and interact with your mail, etc.

Many many ways to make the phone uniquely yours, both aesthetically and in usability.

The other thing I'd consider is the screen size. We're talking about 3.5 versus 4.7. It's a glorious world to explore through a bigger screen. And if you're worried about the supposedly lag, if there's one consistent thing with the Nexus 4 reviews, it's that the performance of the device is superb and lag-free. You can thank the processor, the 2GB of RAM, Android 4.2, and the zerogap screen tech. Wouldn't the iPhone 4S running iOS 6, and then iOS 7 cause more lag? It won't be very different from your 3GS experience now.

Good luck.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Depends. I want to use nexus 4 on my spare line and want to use $10 unlimited dumb phone plan.

But if att recognizes phone since they sell similar Optimus LTE phone than att will add $30 data plan.

Than nexus 4 is no go with me. I have iPhone 5 as main phone and won't pay $30 extra data for another phone.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
You've used the Nexus 4? Please, tell us more. This post is nothing but obfuscation.

And consistency of the UI? The dedicated back button and the dedicated menu button offers far more consistency than anything iOS has. Please explain to me why on iOS I have to go to different places to access app settings?

Gmail settings:

Facebook settings:
It's kind of a toss up, navigation seems to be a bit superior on android. But the apps tend to look better on iOS, they also usually work nicely and are easy to understand. IMHO Android is a bit cluttered and ugly at times. Keeping in mind that most of my experience with android is poking around my girlfriend's HTC Desire running 2.2 I think. It usually is a bit weird to find my way around, how do I know what app is running, how do I switch between them and so on... (probably easy enough mind you...)

I'd argue that Gmail easily beats iOS Mail. Not to mention you get the choice of your own default keyboard. If you type a lot of emails (or text) on your phone, believe me, you will be blown away that you got by without Swiftkey or Swype before.

I'd argue RSS is better on Android thanks to widgets.

I'd argue browsing the web is better too. No max number of tabs, easier to access private browsing (takes iOS 5-6 steps to switch to Private browsing), your choice of default browser.

Camera would probably be better on the iPhone if you were talking about the iPhone 5, but since you're talking about the 4S, the Nexus 4 probably edges it out. I hear the Nexus 4 matches current competition's camera.

Music is a bit of a toss up.

As for simplicity of UI, I find iOS is so simple that it's actually harder to do things. Stock Android has a bit more of a learning curve, but that's because it offers you more flexibility. Once you figure it out (it's not that hard) the phone becomes far easier to use than iOS. In fact, once you set it up, it's catered specifically to your needs and usage. You can set toggles for your most frequent settings, you can choose whatever keyboard you want, you can choose what lock screen shows up every time you wake your device, or what browser you want to launch, or how you want to receive and interact with your mail, etc.

Many many ways to make the phone uniquely yours, both aesthetically and in usability.

The other thing I'd consider is the screen size. We're talking about 3.5 versus 4.7. It's a glorious world to explore through a bigger screen. And if you're worried about the supposedly lag, if there's one consistent thing with the Nexus 4 reviews, it's that the performance of the device is superb and lag-free. You can thank the processor, the 2GB of RAM, Android 4.2, and the zerogap screen tech. Wouldn't the iPhone 4S running iOS 6, and then iOS 7 cause more lag? It won't be very different from your 3GS experience now.

Good luck.

I have to agree with you that iOS is oversimplified. It might need a bit of an overhaul. It made sense on iPhone 1 but now with all the power and the apps navigating through a device that is fully lock down is a pain in the ass. I usually feel like I'm trying to trick it to give me access to my files when doing any kind of meaningful work...

I'm just afraid I'll be underwhelmed by Android. Other than the fact that it's locked down beyond reason, I love the feel of iOS. Simple, clean, works properly, stock settings are good. Being the geek that I am, I probably won't mind customizing Android though. The other thing is that apps don't usually seem to be on par.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the nexus 4 and try it at least. In the meantime, I'll nag my friends with Android phones to show me around.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Depends. I want to use nexus 4 on my spare line and want to use $10 unlimited dumb phone plan.

But if att recognizes phone since they sell similar Optimus LTE phone than att will add $30 data plan.

Than nexus 4 is no go with me. I have iPhone 5 as main phone and won't pay $30 extra data for another phone.

It will recognize it and seeing that, i have no idea why you guys would stick with AT&T if they do that to you.

I guess T-Mobile doesnt work well in some areas...for some reason i dont know why but they are soo much cheaper than Verizon and AT&T. I didnt even get charged upgrade fees when i got my GS3's which are half the price of AT&T's fees already. I am so glad the merger/buyout didnt go thru.

5 lines, $125 a month, 3 phones with unlimited data. One line is my house VoiP i hold on to just because ive had that number for so long. Otherwise i could save another measley $5.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Nope, but I've used the Nexus 7 running the latest version of Android available to the public. If I can't expect the latest 7-inch tablet being sold directly by Google, running the latest version of Android available to the public, to perform well, then something is wrong with the OS.

Looking back, that's how it always has been with Android- it's always the next version that will fix all the problems, or the next super-powerful device. It hasn't eventuated though, not yet. And if the Nexus 4 is completely lag free, but the Nexus 7 isn't, then I'm going to feel stoked as a Google customer, aren't I? One of their latest range runs lag free, but another one doesn't? Well, that's a sure fire way to make people look upon Android favourably.
Yes, the split settings locations are a quirk of iOS. I'd rather deal with that than deal with the crap Android dishes up though.

And the back and menu buttons being consistent? Can you explain to me why pushing back in the Commonwealth Bank app exits the app, rather than going back to the previous screen? Can you explain why after entering an email from the Gmail home screen widget, pressing back enters the Gmail app, rather than going back to the home screen? Can you explain why some apps have their menu options onscreen (there's even inconsistency here when developers do this, some put them at the bottom ala iOS, while others put them at the top of the screen), while others bury them under the menu button? Can you explain why only some apps use the Holo theme, while some are still using the awful looking Gingerbread themed buttons and UI elements (I know the answer, but this is one of the major killers when it comes to Android UI consistency)? And can you explain why some eschew anything resembling that used in the rest of the OS and look and function entirely differently?

iOS apps almost always have main menu options at the bottom of the screen, an option to go back to the previous screen you were on in an app in the top left hand corner, an option to pull down on the app's content to refresh it and the same appearance for buttons and other UI elements. There are definitely exceptions, of course, but as a whole the OS and its apps are remarkably consistent.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Obfuscation, as I said.

I've used the Nexus 7 running the latest version of Android available to the public. If I can't expect the latest 7-inch tablet being sold directly by Google, running the latest version of Android available to the public, to perform well, then something is wrong with the OS.

Your definition of performing well is vastly skewed. First, there are no real numbers for the difference in screen time response. The closest we've calculated via highly unscientific methods on these forums is roughly 30 milliseconds of difference, give or take. You are scrutinizing 30 milliseconds of difference to deem performance is unwell. Hey, if those 30 milliseconds are that important to you, I've said it a number of times, all good, mate. But it's 30 milliseconds you're bickering over to declare an OS as "wrong." I've mentioned a number of times, the list of reasons iOS users are defending have grown short, and nitpicky.

Second, stop pretending iOS doesn't lag or have poor response times every now and then. Typing on iOS is a major demonstration of lag. I've had constant miss keys, unregistered taps (even though the letter has clearly 'greyed' to show that it's a tap); I've had icons do the same too, where I tap to launch an app, and the app icon turns grey, but it doesn't actually launch it. I have to tap it again to actually have it launch. There's tons more instances of lag, sometimes with trying to unlock the screen, sometimes with opening folders, or swiping left to the search bar (there's almost always a slight stutter).

One of their latest range runs lag free, but another one doesn't? Well, that's a sure fire way to make people look upon Android favourably.

They're two different devices with different specs? Is it that surprising they might offer varying results? :confused:

(EDIT: 30 milliseconds is .03 of a second! Even if this is accurate, this is laughable. This just reminds me how silly I am to be trying to convine you how and why .03 seconds isn't a deal breaker. This will be my last response to you regarding this topic. Really, best of luck. No hard feelings, mate.)

Last edited:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Obfuscation, as I said.
Hardly, the Nexus 7 is part of Google's current flagship range- the devices should perform comparably.
Your definition of performing well is vastly skewed. First, there are no real numbers for the difference in screen time response. The closest we've calculated via highly unscientific methods on these forums is roughly 30 milliseconds of difference, give or take. You are scrutinizing 30 milliseconds of difference to deem performance is unwell. Hey, if those 30 milliseconds are that important to you, I've said it a number of times, all good, mate. But it's 30 milliseconds you're bickering over to declare an OS as "wrong." I've mentioned a number of times, the list of reasons iOS users are defending have grown short, and nitpicky.
Those numbers were plucked out of thin air, based on the estimates of a poster here! I very highly doubt the difference is only 30 seconds, given that I often experience visible lag and slowdowns. And that's just in the OS, in numerous apps (with one key one being the browser) the response time is even worse.
Second, stop pretending iOS doesn't lag or have poor response times every now and then.
I've never pretended it doesn't, I owned a 3GS running iOS 5!
Typing on iOS is a major demonstration of lag. I've had constant miss keys, unregistered taps (even though the letter has clearly 'greyed' to show that it's a tap); I've had icons do the same too, where I tap to launch an app, and the app icon turns grey, but it doesn't actually launch it. I have to tap it again to actually have it launch. There's tons more instances of lag, sometimes with trying to unlock the screen, sometimes with opening folders, or swiping left to the search bar (there's almost always a slight stutter).
I don't know about you, but the only time I've experienced typing lag on iOS was when I updated my 3GS to iOS 5- never experienced it on my girlfriend's 4S and never on my iPhone 5. I have experienced a few instances of lag opening an app on my 3GS running iOS 5, but it's a device from 2009 running an OS from 2011, I'll cut the poor thing some slack- it's not like it's a device in Google's current flagship range, released this year and running the latest OS.
They're two different devices with different specs? Is it that surprising they might offer varying results? :confused:
Yes! They're both devices in Google's current flagship range, Google should be aiming to provide a consistent experience between their devices, and not simply be happy that one of their devices doesn't lag while the rest aren't cutting it.
(EDIT: 30 milliseconds is .03 of a second! Even if this is accurate, this is laughable. This just reminds me how silly I am to be trying to convine you how and why .03 seconds isn't a deal breaker. This will be my last response to you regarding this topic. Really, best of luck. No hard feelings, mate.)
As I said, you're blowing up over a figure a poster on here plucked out of thin air, I very highly doubt that's the real figure.

If that's the last thing you want to post to me, no worries. I'm just trying to help out potential buyers who are reading these threads, trying to get an idea of how different devices perform. There's a whole lot of Android love on here, without much discussion of its very real, still very prominent flaws. Even if you ignore the performance problems, I've detailed and given examples of the poor app selection and poor app performance (which is just awful for Australians) and given examples of how iOS has a much more consistent UI (barring the split settings locations ;)). Before getting the N7, I never expected to be posting what I'm posting, but I gave Android a good go and it's lacking in the basics. My recommendation would be to get a device with an OS made by Apple or Microsoft- they both make a far higher quality OS.

Btw, just to show that I actually do own a Nexus 7, I attached a picture of the boxes of my 3GS, N7 and iPhone 5.

Attachments

• 2012-11-05 17.48.55.jpg
    2012-11-05 17.48.55.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Looking back, that's how it always has been with Android- it's always the next version that will fix all the problems, or the next super-powerful device. It hasn't eventuated though, not yet. .

Oh and Apple NEVER has that same problem? Come on, really? How about battery and data excess use issues with just about every initial iOS release, reguiring a patch? How about lag and app crash issues with recent iOS releases? How about why for so many users their iPhones respring when opening iMessage for no known reason? How about how I can get a notification of a new email, read the email and then 6 seconds later my phone plays a new message sound...that is 6 seconds after I have read the message...thats not lag?

Or how about how Apple, now at an accelerated pace is upgrading hardware and then upgrading the OS with "new features" that only run on the newest hardware? Hmmmm, since it is Apple that is innovation, right? Not a plan to entice quicker upgrades, right? Gee ever think why Apple now releases major OS upgrades yearly?

Oh, and shall I mention the first release of Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion...bugginess?

Point is, EVERY OS has issues, has bugs and has problems that will be addressed in the "next release". To put your head in the sand and say this is only an Android problem and iOS is the golden child of perfection is laughable.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Oh and Apple NEVER has that same problem? Come on, really? How about battery and data excess use issues with just about every initial iOS release, reguiring a patch? How about lag and app crash issues with recent iOS releases? How about why for so many users their iPhones respring when opening iMessage for no known reason? How about how I can get a notification of a new email, read the email and then 6 seconds later my phone plays a new message sound...that is 6 seconds after I have read the message...thats not lag?
Releasing a patch to a problem isn't the same as hyping a new version of the OS as the version that solves the OS' problems, or hyping a new device as not suffering from the OS' typical problems. And then doing the same for the next round of devices and the next OS when the last bunch didn't solve the problems.

New operating systems always have teething problems, that's common to all operating systems. Even operating systems that are (nearly) universally acclaimed, such as Windows 7, have such problems. That's not the same as the same OS featuring the same problem through each version and hardware upgrade. That'd be like every new Windows OS having lag issues on the latest powerful hardware. Something tells me that wouldn't fly with PC owners.
Or how about how Apple, now at an accelerated pace is upgrading hardware and then upgrading the OS with "new features" that only run on the newest hardware? Hmmmm, since it is Apple that is innovation, right? Not a plan to entice quicker upgrades, right? Gee ever think why Apple now releases major OS upgrades yearly?
I never said Apple was innovative. ;) In fact, I'll readily admit their OS development has stagnated- doesn't worry me, I'm not a hardcore Apple fan. Their OS still performs incredibly well though and their app quality and range are unparalleled in the mobile phone space.
Oh, and shall I mention the first release of Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion...bugginess?

Point is, EVERY OS has issues, has bugs and has problems that will be addressed in the "next release". To put your head in the sand and say this is only an Android problem and iOS is the golden child of perfection is laughable.
I've never said iOS is completely free of problems, I've said it has nailed the basics, especially performance- something Android hasn't done.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I always say my iphone is always smooth with minor troubles BUT its stupid to claim any performance when the OS doesnt do much on the UI deparment, i will dare to say that if you treat android the same way (just grid of apps) it will be the same ****

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I got a 4S at the moment - even without eBay you can sell it for £250 here in the UK or almost £280 with Argos voucher - the latter gets you the 16GB N4 ... If Argos sells it then I will do this myself ... Getting a tad bored of iOS right now and the N4 comes with a nice clean OS which I can customize (and no I am not here to argue which one is better - just my personal opinnion).

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
If we have fast enough data speeds and higher data caps then why not I guess. I still prefer having stuff locally but everything is moving to the cloud these days.

I won't. Personally I think its a way to be charged for 'rent' on a server, I don't like that idea. If I would do any sort of cloud i'd rather set my own one up from home. Much cheaper and I could have much more space.

JMO

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Regarding the iPhone 5's amazing responsiveness to touch...

I was at a friend's playing with his iPhone 5. And when I pulled down the notification center and tried tapping into the weather widget to launch the app, it didn't respond to my first few taps. It took 3 or 4 taps before it would actually launch into the weather app. What's worse was, it could be repeated. I would randomly pull down the Notification Center and try to tap into the weather, and sometimes it worked on first tap, and other times, took 3 or 4 taps to get into it. I asked my friend about it and he said yeah, that's happened to him a few times.

In fact, he went on to say sometimes icons don't launch even when tapped.

I can say with my iPad 3rd Gen that I've experienced this too. You see missed presses severely when typing, but I've also experienced when I tap on an app icon to launch it, it won't register. Only a second tap gets it to go. And sometimes, when I tap, I can see the icon itself gray out like it's been tapped, but the app won't actually launch. It's bizarre. I've experienced it with other miscellaneous taps too; cases where I've had to re-tap something to get it to go. Noticed it more with iOS 6 than I did with iOS 5.

Anyway, the point I'm making is, the apparent gulf between iOS and Android touch response is overblown (as is with many many differences). iOS hiccups with its touch response sometimes too, as does Android.

Last edited:

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Regarding the iPhone 5's amazing responsiveness to touch...

I was at a friend's playing with his iPhone 5. And when I pulled down the notification center and tried tapping into the weather widget to launch the app, it didn't respond to my first few taps. It took 3 or 4 taps before it would actually launch into the weather app. What's worse was, it could be repeated. I would randomly pull down the Notification Center and try to tap into the weather, and sometimes it worked on first tap, and other times, took 3 or 4 taps to get into it. I asked my friend about it and he said yeah, that's happened to him a few times.

In fact, he went on to say sometimes icons don't launch even when tapped.

I can say with my iPad 3rd Gen that I've experienced this too. You see missed presses severely when typing, but I've also experienced when I tap on an app icon to launch it, it won't register. Only a second tap gets it to go. And sometimes, when I tap, I can see the icon itself gray out like it's been tapped, but the app won't actually launch. It's bizarre. I've experienced it with other miscellaneous taps too; cases where I've had to re-tap something to get it to go. Noticed it more with iOS 6 than I did with iOS 5.

Anyway, the point I'm making is, the apparent gulf between iOS and Android touch response is overblown (as is with many many differences). iOS hiccups with its touch response sometimes too, as does Android.

A bit exaggerated I think. I'm running iPhone 4 and even that doesn't happen to me. I have noticed that when the screen is dirty or your hands are wet/dirty the screen is less responsive... So theres that. Also many screen protectors reduce touch response. The biggest one Otterbox defender case/protector. So don't blame it on the OS. If it is OS's fault it is really buggy and note a widespread issue especially running on a brand new iPhone 5. Oh and damage to the phone will cause that too

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
A bit exaggerated I think. I'm running iPhone 4 and even that doesn't happen to me. I have noticed that when the screen is dirty or your hands are wet/dirty the screen is less responsive... So theres that. Also many screen protectors reduce touch response. The biggest one Otterbox defender case/protector. So don't blame it on the OS. If it is OS's fault it is really buggy and note a widespread issue especially running on a brand new iPhone 5. Oh and damage to the phone will cause that too

Agreed. Could be a number of things. Just sharing what I experienced last night with my friend's iPhone 5.

But it was interesting that he mentioned he's experienced unregistered taps when trying to launch apps, cause I've experienced that on my iPad 3rd gen also. Not just with app icons, but in general, sometimes it requires two taps for something to go. This isn't even something I mind, per se, but ever since a few posters here started nitpicking over the millisecond differences in touch response between iOS and Android, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS. Can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

EDIT: Also experienced that on the iPhone 4S when I owned it, but it happened more with the keyboard than anything else.

Last edited:

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Agreed. Could be a number of things. Just sharing what I experienced last night with my friend's iPhone 5.

But it was interesting that he mentioned he's experienced unregistered taps when trying to launch apps, cause I've experienced that on my iPad 3rd gen also. Not just with app icons, but in general, sometimes it requires two taps for something to go.

I've had that issue while not in apps, it was in web browser. I use chrome by the way so not sure how safari handles this... But when I click on links, it'll "hover" over and then I have to click again to actually go to the link. It happens on these forums all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that you have to made sure you are tapping the right spot. Normally when you click something, the color or tone of the button will change: keyboard darkens, notifications turn blue, pop up for text selection turns blue, etc. A friend of mine began getting frustrated at my iPad cause it wouldn't register his paste command.... Little did he know, he was missing the button. Our hands aren't as accurate as we think.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I've had that issue while not in apps, it was in web browser. I use chrome by the way so not sure how safari handles this... But when I click on links, it'll "hover" over and then I have to click again to actually go to the link. It happens on these forums all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that you have to made sure you are tapping the right spot. Normally when you click something, the color or tone of the button will change: keyboard darkens, notifications turn blue, pop up for text selection turns blue, etc. A friend of mine began getting frustrated at my iPad cause it wouldn't register his paste command.... Little did he know, he was missing the button. Our hands aren't as accurate as we think.

That link thing I think is by design. For example, imgur requires two taps to get into a picture. The first tap will just highlight it, so to speak.

Yes, I agree with your second point. Which is why, as I mentioned earlier, it's baffling when I can see the app icon gray out, meaning it's been "tapped" but nothing actually happens. This is what my friend said he was experiencing too. I know precisely what you mean. The graying out tells me it's been tapped, so I don't think I'm missing it, but the app doesn't actually launch (or the action doesn't actually happen). A second tap (it grays out again) will do the trick.

As I said, noticed this more with iOS 6 than 5.

This isn't even something I mind, per se, but ever since a few posters here started nitpicking over the millisecond differences in touch response between iOS and Android, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS. Can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
You mean bigger the other direction, or smaller? Cause that seems worse than anything I've ever seen on stock Android.

Interesting video.

As a former Nexus One user, I have been hit with ****** touch detection before (Thanks crappy Clearpad 2000 touch sensor!). My only real issue I had with the N1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8g0rkuJucg

Hopefully it's a software issue on the iPhone 5, not a hardware one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
As a former Nexus One user, I have been hit with ****** touch detection before (Thanks crappy Clearpad 2000 touch sensor!). My only real issue I had with the N1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8g0rkuJucg

Hopefully it's a software issue on the iPhone 5, not a hardware one.

I never owned the Nexus One but I remember reading tons of things about how it didn't have multitouch. It's come a long way since then... :)

Is this iPhone 5 issue a newly discovered one? Never heard of it until now. Share it on the iPhone forums. They'll flip out. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.