Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
smdewart
macrumors newbie

Discover Card discount + Education Discount?

Hi All:

Currently, ShopDiscover has a 5% cash back on Apple. Has anyone any experience with this PLUS the Apple Education discount?

It seems that the "regular" Apple online store has a distinct shopping card from the "education" Apple online store.

Since Discover takes you to the regular one, I would assume I *CANNOT* use both?

Anyone ever done this?
smdewart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
mzd
macrumors 6502a

i was able to get both. first click on the link from shopdiscover. then, once in the apple store, click on the education store. buy with your discover card. worked for me.

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:51 PM   #3
techound1
macrumors 68000

You can BUY with a discover there, but did you get the cashback?
techound1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
RGunner
macrumors 6502a

I was not able to make it work...

on the Gov't Apple Store, no 5% bonus showed up, even linking directly from discover card.
RGunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Matt Phoenix
macrumors regular

I created a similar thread back in June, because I was wondering the exact same thing. I just thought it would be too good to be true that you could get the educational discount + free iPod Touch + free printer plus 5% cashback. But guess what? It worked. In addition, since you're charged for the iPod/printer (only to get a rebate check later), you get 5% cashback on those, too! Seriously, best deal ever.
Old May 21, 2011, 12:52 PM   #6
kali.y
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdewart View Post
Hi All:

Currently, ShopDiscover has a 5% cash back on Apple. Has anyone any experience with this PLUS the Apple Education discount?

It seems that the "regular" Apple online store has a distinct shopping card from the "education" Apple online store.

Since Discover takes you to the regular one, I would assume I *CANNOT* use both?

Anyone ever done this?
Yes, it definitely does work to combine the ShopDiscover 5% cashback with the Apple Online Education Discount (I know this thread is a little old, but for anyone wondering if it still works, it does -- I just did it in March). Just make sure you go to the Apple site through ShopDiscover (login to your account) and then click "Education Store" in the left-hand column at the Apple site. (They don't ask for your student ID or anything, just your school's name -- use the zipcode search feature.)

The only things you don't get cashback on are shipping (which is free) and taxes. Got my printer rebate check within 30 days and the cashback bonus posted to my Discover account on the next statement.

Plus, if you've met your minimum spend for the year (on mine it's $3,000) you get 1% cashback on all purchases, so I actually got 6% cashback from ShopDiscover. Not bad, not bad at all! (And note that if you register for the bday promo, you get double cashback during your birthday month on purchases up to $500 so that's 7% on $500 and 6% on the rest.)

Be sure to read the fine print on the ShopDiscover link to Apple -- there's no cashback on iPads (1 or 2) or gift certificates, wrapping, etc.

@RGunner -- a little late to respond, but make sure you go to "Education Store" not "Government Store."
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #7
obiegrad
macrumors newbie

One other note on this it works on apple care and with in store pickup. We ordered on a computer in the store, left and had dinner, and then returned to pick it up.
obiegrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:31 AM   #8
gentleman00
macrumors 6502

So could I just go to the apple store and use my Discover credit card and get the education discount there? Or, do I have shop online at the apple store to receive the discount?
gentleman00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice