Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:54 AM   #26
dasx
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedenethor View Post
Edit: Upps sorry I can only say that 2010 and 2011 covers are compatible. I do not have 2012 to test.

For the rubbers yes they did the job. It s not %100 silent but good enough. You can't hear the fans from 3-4mt while Plex or Dvblink doing real time transcoding. Fans are at 3000 rpm. If you need 2000-2500 rpm you may need higher hills. Will do the test during night since the environment more silent. After that test I'll make my conclusion.
What about temps? It'd be interesting to see the actual difference in the highest temp.

For example after 1h of Handbrake:
Not raised: 105C
Raised 2cm: 98C
Raised 5cm: 87C

^^^^Made up.

I'm thinking about just taking the bottom cover off and replace it with a dust filter glued to the borders with something easy to remove later on. That way I don't have to spend $30+ in a bottom cover + shipping, drilling it and all. Plus bigger hole should mean better ventilation, lol.

Bottom removed + some cm of raising should do a great job. I can definitely try that out for less than $10.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:59 AM   #27
thedenethor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I tried CPU Burn-In for %50 CPU load under windows. Temps was 82 fan @3900. I think I need more height.
thedenethor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:01 PM   #28
frank4
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm using the "Fan Control" utility from developer Lobotomo - it's different from the smcFanControl app. This utility is "set and forget" so you don't really need to fiddle with it or manually adjust fan speed when running a heavy workload. Fan speed is set to start rising above idle 1800rpm at a "lower threshold" temperature 50C and hits maximum speed (about 5500rpm) at the "upper threshold" 80C. I can set the lower threshold from 40C to 60C and the upper threshold from 70C to 90C. Setting both thresholds higher will result in less cooling and reduced fan noise.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

My impression is the standard Mac cooling lets the CPU get quite hot before it cranks up the fan.

2011 base 2.3 Mini is in the standard setup sitting on a desk with bottom cover on. I'm thinking of putting the mini on a hidden shelf under the desk with an air vent hole under the Mini (or maybe on a "grid wire" type shelf) but it seems to already cool itself adequately with this Fan Control app.

HandBrake runs about 75C on a 25 minute DVD rip, and about the same on a 1 hour batched conversion of several video files. HandBrake nearly maxes out all CPUs so it is probably the biggest load this computer will ever have.
__________________
Mac Mini 2011 i5/2.3, 8GB ram Mushkin, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, BT keyboard, Dell BT mouse, 2 monitors Dell S2340L, USB DVD Asus, extrnl HD WD 3TB USB2, AppleTV3, iPad Air, iPad 2
frank4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:16 PM   #29
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
lost cost and nice look this will lower temps!


http://www.amazon.com/Sm%C3%A5land-B...ds=ikea+trivet
Hey, that's what I got at Ikea for hot pans.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4, & 6 | 15" MB Pro & 13" MBA | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Best program to get maximum temperatures!

If you wan't to know the max temp your CPU can get, you should test it with *IntelBurnTest, Intel uses linpack for testing their cpu's. IntelBurnTest uses linpack. (*IntelBurnTest is only available under windows.)

You are not only getting max temps, but it is also the best stability tester.
So run it 20 passes with full memory. Then you know you have a stable Mac at these temps. If not, you should replace your Mac Mini for another Mac Mini under warranty. A mac/pc has to be stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
What about temps? It'd be interesting to see the actual difference in the highest temp.

For example after 1h of Handbrake:
Not raised: 105C
Raised 2cm: 98C
Raised 5cm: 87C

^^^^Made up.

I'm thinking about just taking the bottom cover off and replace it with a dust filter glued to the borders with something easy to remove later on. That way I don't have to spend $30+ in a bottom cover + shipping, drilling it and all. Plus bigger hole should mean better ventilation, lol.

Bottom removed + some cm of raising should do a great job. I can definitely try that out for less than $10.
Very inportant! What is your room temperature? I'd like to know, because in summer it can be very hot here.

@Everyone: Can you all please tell the max temps with the room temperature?

And what about the people running the 2012 2,5-GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-processor? How are your max temperatures and room temperature? Since these CPU's are 35w against 45w for the quads.

Last edited by Snowcake; Nov 4, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:12 PM   #31
dasx
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
(*IntelBurnTest is only available under windows.)
AAhhhhh... only if Windows was bootable from an external hard drive. I'm not going to install Windows in my internal. Ever. (well... who knows but... I don't intend to at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
Very inportant! What is your room temperature? I'd like to know, because in summer it can be very hot here.
EDIT: OK, ended up looking at it.
Room temp: 23.8C (75F). Put the thermometer where the Mini gets the air from and it read 26.1C (79F). A lot!
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"

Last edited by dasx; Nov 4, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:22 PM   #32
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I don't think the tests are silly at all. Huge performance improvement for sure.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:36 PM   #33
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
AAhhhhh... only if Windows was bootable from an external hard drive. I'm not going to install Windows in my internal. Ever. (well... who knows but... I don't intend to at least)



EDIT: OK, ended up looking at it.
Room temp: 23.8C (75F). Put the thermometer where the Mini gets the air from and it read 26.1C (79F). A lot!
Before I run handbrake I use smcfancontrol to ramp my fans up to 4000rpm. Then I start handbrake. I find that ramping up the fans before the machine gets to 200 F keeps it at least 10 - 15 degrees F cooler than if I let OSX decide to ramp up the fans. On my mini when running handbrake OSX doesn't ramp up the fan until the temperature gets to 200 F.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
AAhhhhh... only if Windows was bootable from an external hard drive. I'm not going to install Windows in my internal. Ever. (well... who knows but... I don't intend to at least)
Windows 8 can be installed on external drives.

Quote:
EDIT: OK, ended up looking at it.
Room temp: 23.8C (75F). Put the thermometer where the Mini gets the air from and it read 26.1C (79F). A lot!
Thank you.

Quote:
The average maximum temperature in Barcelona in July is 81F/27C and the average minimum temperature is 66F/19C.
I am curious how your Mac Mini's temperatures are doing during summer.



Little question: What is that black stripe on the front of the Mac Mini?
Snowcake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:08 PM   #35
StevenT42
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
Little question: What is that black stripe on the front of the Mac Mini?
Image
That's the DVD/CD drive from the 2010 mini.
__________________
2012 Mac mini, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB, 1TB Fusion ; 2011 13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB, 256 GB Samsung SSD ; iPad mini retina 128GB WiFi+LTE ; iPhone 5S Gold 64GB ; iPod Classic
StevenT42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #36
k.alexander
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
What's the accepted temp range for a CPU? And does anyone know what the very high limit/critical temp is?
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:59 PM   #37
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
What's the accepted temp range for a CPU? And does anyone know what the very high limit/critical temp is?
ivy bridge is 105 c for constant run

sandy bridge is 100c
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:32 PM   #38
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
ivy bridge is 105 c for constant run

sandy bridge is 100c
TJUNCTION is 105 for all the cpu's in the Mac Mini line.

http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/...up-to-3_30-GHz
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:42 AM   #39
JamSandwich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
I suspect Apple deemed 90-95 as the acceptable under-load temperature range for these chips. Using Handbrake (about a 20-min encode), that's been about where temperatures have been peaking (and fairly stable) -- according to iStat measurements.

I'm always skeptical of those kinds of temperatures, so for my own interest I checked out what result I could get with smcfancontrol. Maxing out the fan at 4400RPM (I believe), temperature maintained around 82C under full load on a slightly longer encode, although I may have seen an 87C in there at one point.

This is all using the new midrange (i7 2.3GHz) configuration. Overall pretty satisfied so far. Will dig into gaming performance a little bit in the coming days and post in the relevant threads.
JamSandwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:07 PM   #40
dasx
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I don't think the tests are silly at all. Huge performance improvement for sure.
Thanks!
Yes. The performance improvement is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
Before I run handbrake I use smcfancontrol to ramp my fans up to 4000rpm. Then I start handbrake. I find that ramping up the fans before the machine gets to 200 F keeps it at least 10 - 15 degrees F cooler than if I let OSX decide to ramp up the fans. On my mini when running handbrake OSX doesn't ramp up the fan until the temperature gets to 200 F.
You mean that maybe the automatic control of the fans let the CPU get too hot and then it's too late to cool it down? Might be a possibility, but that would be a great mistake from Apple imo. Yeah, maybe 1 minute at 100% won't even get the CPU at 85C therefore the fans won't have to kick in badly, but if you plan to encode or do something like that... Then the fans kick in too late (always trying to be as silent as possible) what apparently means the CPU has to end up throttling itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
Windows 8 can be installed on external drives.
Sure, but AFAIK they're not bootable in a Mac from external drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
I am curious how your Mac Mini's temperatures are doing during summer
My room temp during summer is the same as during winter if not lower. During winter the heating does its job while the AC does it during the summer.

I think though that as I said where I Have the Mini now there are too many things heating the atmosphere up. Will have to try a different location in a more ventilated place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
ivy bridge is 105 c for constant run

sandy bridge is 100c
As Snowcake says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
TJUNCTION is 105 for all the cpu's in the Mac Mini line.

http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/...up-to-3_30-GHz
It's gotta be 105C as that's where the CPU starts to throttle itself down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSandwich View Post
I'm always skeptical of those kinds of temperatures, so for my own interest I checked out what result I could get with smcfancontrol. Maxing out the fan at 4400RPM (I believe), temperature maintained around 82C under full load on a slightly longer encode, although I may have seen an 87C in there at one point.

This is all using the new midrange (i7 2.3GHz) configuration. Overall pretty satisfied so far. Will dig into gaming performance a little bit in the coming days and post in the relevant threads.
Max fan speed is 5500rpm I believe.

So the 2.3GHz is cooler then. Good to know. I think my Mini needs a new location. Where I have it now there's no much air renovation and it's surrounded by wood on one side and a hard drive running 24/7 on the other, plus another hard drive sticked to the wood beneath it. lol
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #41
dazey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I have a 2012 i7 2.3 and although I am also seeing high reported temperatures, these never seem to make sense as the mini remains cool to the touch and I haven't got the fan to 3000 yet (despite running cpu test to max out all cores), it is in a cold room though. The hard disk tends to register temps of 22-26˚C (so pretty damned cold)but the 'ambient' sensors are around 40˚C. I have had the processors up close to 100˚C but everything is still cool with fans quite slow.
dazey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #42
k.alexander
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazey View Post
I have a 2012 i7 2.3 and although I am also seeing high reported temperatures, these never seem to make sense as the mini remains cool to the touch and I haven't got the fan to 3000 yet (despite running cpu test to max out all cores), it is in a cold room though. The hard disk tends to register temps of 22-26˚C (so pretty damned cold)but the 'ambient' sensors are around 40˚C. I have had the processors up close to 100˚C but everything is still cool with fans quite slow.
This is exactly what I've observed. Let Aperture churn through my 50k library overnight. When I woke up, 6 hrs later, it was still going at it. The mini was barely luke warm to the touch. Didn't look at the temps though. Btw, can anyone ever hear the fan on this thing? The only thing I hear is the HD. These things are REALLY quiet.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:58 PM   #43
dasx
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
This is exactly what I've observed. Let Aperture churn through my 50k library overnight. When I woke up, 6 hrs later, it was still going at it. The mini was barely luke warm to the touch. Didn't look at the temps though. Btw, can anyone ever hear the fan on this thing? The only thing I hear is the HD. These things are REALLY quiet.
My external drives (I got two of them plugged in 24/7) do more noise than the Mini when fans are below ~ 2500-3000 rpm.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:14 PM   #44
JamSandwich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
Max fan speed is 5500rpm I believe.
You might be right. The exhaust fan is controlled using the "optical disc drive" slider in smcfancontrol, which offers a maximum adjustment up to (IIRC) 4400, so it might be a limitation on the software's end.

Regarding heat, I found the actual case to be at its warmest on Day 1, when I ran a few minutes of games just to test things out. Maybe related to both processor and integrated graphics under heavy load?

Anyhow, I'm happy that by manually adjusting the exhaust fan I seem to be able to keep temps lower. I'm not sure it's necessary, but it's a nice ability to have.
JamSandwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #45
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
TJUNCTION is 105 for all the cpu's in the Mac Mini line.

http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/...up-to-3_30-GHz
2011 minis use sandy bridge and 2012 minis uses ivy.




like I said 105c for ivy


http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/...up-to-3_30-GHz

and


100c for sandy http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/...up-to-3_10-GHz

i gave for both as this thread has mentioned the 2011 and the 2012 mini
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:02 PM   #46
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
2011 minis use sandy bridge and 2012 minis uses ivy.




like I said 105c for ivy


http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/...up-to-3_30-GHz

and


100c for sandy http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/...up-to-3_10-GHz

i gave for both as this thread has mentioned the 2011 and the 2012 mini
You are right. I meant to say: TJUNCTION is 105 for all the cpu's in the current Mac Mini line.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac CPU running too hot phobos iMac 12 Dec 28, 2013 05:24 PM
hot MBP17 mid10 CPU temperature dophineh MacBook Pro 0 Dec 1, 2013 04:33 PM
MacBook Pro CPU fan running no reason (hot), MassStorageCamera using all CPU Pollsy123 Mac Basics and Help 0 Feb 14, 2013 09:07 PM
MBA 2012 with hot CPU after last update Mekker MacBook Air 4 Nov 9, 2012 03:45 AM
Fans are running high and CPU is hot but I'm not doing anything.. laserbeam273 MacBook Air 8 Nov 8, 2012 10:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC