Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
One of the main reasons I want a mini :) navigation update discs are way too expensive

How right you are! Toyota offered to sell me an update disk for the factory GPS for the same price as a new iPad Mini. :eek:

...or I could buy three Garmin portables with lifetime maps for the same price.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yea, that would awesome... Especially since you can easily insert and remove the mini like they showed... so it still is a fully usable iPad mini...

Vital requirement. If you left the Mini in the car, someone would jack it.

----------

If people used dash-mounted devices with a little common sense, it wouldn't be a problem. But I worry that there will be people people fiddling with their iPads in their cars, running red lights or swerving into oncoming traffic.

That is why I wouldn't do something like this unless the car had Siri activation in the steering wheel.

----------

Why, why, why would anybody want this?

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car?

Turn by turn nav, videos to entertain the kid etc.

There could be a number of uses. Hell the car companies might even embrace with with app controlled environmental systems that respond to Siri. No reaching off the steering wheel to adjust the AC etc. you just hit the Siri button on the wheel and say what you want

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

There are $1000 car stereos?
I've seen plenty of expensive cars in my time, never one with a stereo at that price!

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I know Apple is getting something from Tomtom, but it isn't the whole ball of wax. My wife has the Tomtom app on her iPad 2, and it rocks. OTOH, we have significantly less impressed with the new Apple Maps, either on her iPad or her iPhone.

Umm...you don't get the same functionality from an iPad than you would from a 1000 dollar stereo. Data costs would kill it. Not to mention the horrible Apple Maps, which happens to be made by Tom Tom. Anyone who's used Tom Tom GPS is not surprised with how horrible it is.

To some this might look "cool" but seems like a terrible idea

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Controller????

Who knows what the story is, and the details are on the controller from the video?

Please see attached image. This was a screen capture from the video.

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 90

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Yes clearly they were distracted while driving and should at least get slapped by relevant laws for that in addition to any they are found guilty of in relation to the accident.

That is a wild assumption to make. If you are doing to say that then anyone with a cell phone in their car, even in their purse should be ticketed for being potentially distracted. Same with a radio or even a kid in the car.

Just because someone has an ipad or whatever mounted in their car doesn't equal they are morons that would be using it while driving. Particularly actually tapping on the screen, playing a game etc.

----------

Movies? There is a huge widescreen HD movie playing in the windshield. Whoever's in the driver's seat should probably be watching that. :rolleyes:

Who said the movies are for the driver. Sometimes there are other folks in the car.

And as someone that drives around a 5 year old, they can be just as distracting as any text message etc. Shutting them up with a little Beauty and the Beast or Mulan can actually prove better than having to tell them 20 times in two minutes that Auntie is trying to pay attention to the other cars so now is not a time for talking and asking 100 lame questions.

But I'm also not going to hand her my iPad where she can blast the audio, drop it etc. I want it with me where it can be safe.

----------

This stuff is neat, but anyone that I've ever known to do stuff like this says the novelty wears off after a short time. It's not like people can use an iPad while they are driving...or can they? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdAkKKxOvu4

i hope it was meant as a joke but I know someone will take it seriously and do it

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

Yeah, except that you need to find a way to hook it up to the speakers. All carmakers should just put iPads there instead of the proprietary systems they put in that are highly limited and very expensive.

The Tesla Model S features a big 17" computer on the inside. However, you have to pay for its 3G service (and for it). Why not just have an iPad dock that connects to the car speakers and lets you use your own 4G plan?

Oh, also, if Apple made it so the iPad could be an Airplay host, iPhones and such would be able to wirelessly play to the car audio system with full quality!

----------

I've seen plenty of expensive cars in my time, never one with a stereo at that price!

Car entertainment system options can cost a lot, even more than $1000 sometimes. The ability to watch movies and use a navigator is usually a very expensive option.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

You'd get navigation, all of your music, your contacts and such, even a phone if they add it to the iPad, and a nice touch screen interface for way less money than a built-in system. AND it would also be a regular iPad. You don't need to use it for anything outside of what car systems do right now.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
+1

I am planning to do this. Legitimate (vehicle) uses would be limited to:

* music
* GPS/navigation
* possibly bluetooth/wireless headset phone use after jailbreaking.

I think you pretty much nailed it faroZ06.

You'd get navigation, all of your music, your contacts and such, even a phone if they add it to the iPad, and a nice touch screen interface for way less money than a built-in system. AND it would also be a regular iPad. You don't need to use it for anything outside of what car systems do right now.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
His car is flashing: STEAL ME STEAL ME STEAL ME

1. You can take the iPad out.
2. Find my iPad.
3. Don't they have security locks for these things? Anyway, if Apple was going to make a deal with carmakers and put iPads in cars, they'd make it very difficult to steal an iPad.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
I tried a dashboard ram mount with the original iPad. Problem was you couldn't see the screen through sunglasses because it was polarized. I wonder if that's the same case with mini.

That my friend, is a very VERY good question. In fact this thread should go no farther until that is answered. I will not drive anywhere in San Diego without my polarized sunglasses.

----------

I never considered buying an iPad mini.
This changes that.
For those concerned with theft: easy solution leave a picture of an old in attractive stereo as a wallpaper disguise.
Remember you have find my iStuff.
It totally makes sense to have direct audio from the iPad. There could be tons of aftermarket products to make this a very lucrative and successful business.
An iPad mini pioneer kit, would include the receiver amp, etc....
Car OEMs are struggling to incorporate this kind of features with their own systems and they are not there yet, they are getting closer and some have great integration with iOS, but still not fully exploiting it.
I would definitely consider getting a basic entertainment system or none at all an then doing aftermarket custom installation of an iPad mini with LTE GPS.

With or without an iPad moron drivers will always exist and there is nothing that you can do about them.

Voice over features would finally be improved with more car - smart tablets integration like this.

Why Apple has not invested more in the voice recognition area?

GUYS GUYS! about the theft. Is anyone not realizing that the ipad would not be powered on when you are away from the car? JESUS get a clue. And an insurance policy that actually covers shiz.

ahillworks

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Who knows what the story is, and the details are on the controller from the video?

Please see attached image. This was a screen capture from the video.

Aftermarket component to control radio functions. They removed the radio so some thing has to control volume and be able to control the audio from the iPad. That unit does that. I'm Sure there are other methods as well.
Another worry I would have is most car manufactures require the radio for troubleshooting. Lets just hope this guys check engine light don't come on he maybe in a jam if he needs the car serviced. Plus it could void the warranty.

But direct answer to your question your going to need this: http://audison.eu/index.php?page=productLine&id=5

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

its been this way for well over 10 years... this is nothing new. there is in dash screens ive had in my cars since 2002.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.

this is why you instal this. when you dont feel like using it you have a standard deck behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_6518.JPG
    IMG_6518.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6588.JPG
    IMG_6588.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6590.JPG
    IMG_6590.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6591.JPG
    IMG_6591.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 91

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Haven't priced things myself in a while, but you can spend any amount you want to on car audio.

shoot most factory head units are easily half that (inflated I know but many are custom units, honda comes to mind for example)

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Another good point...that you made for my 'cons' :)

5GB a month? Now if you are using this all month long...on the road...using CELL data...what would your usage total be?
Not sure what part of my post you missed. I already do this - using CELL data (do you think I have constant wifi speeding down the freeway? lol) - on my iPhone. I wouldn't be using any additional data with an iPad.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Haven't priced things myself in a while, but you can spend any amount you want to on car audio.

shoot most factory head units are easily half that (inflated I know but many are custom units, honda comes to mind for example)

Indeed - a mate works for a shop who modify cars - they build a sound system into a Lambo and the guys wanted to have all bells and whistles with nothing shown on the outside - cost : £45k / $72k ... labour cost is always a big part in projects like that ...

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
that looks cool and all but..... why the heck would someone spend that kind of $$$ on custom install work on a Corolla?

put it in something cool like a Corvette or a new Camaro. but a plain Jane Corolla? :confused:

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
If people used dash-mounted devices with a little common sense, it wouldn't be a problem. But I worry that there will be people people fiddling with their iPads in their cars, running red lights or swerving into oncoming traffic.

Doesn't seem to be a problem in places like Japan where large dash displays have been commonplace for years. One difference might be their higher licensing standards and more draconian laws (zero alcohol tolerance, much stricter phone use rules). We could use that here in the USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.