Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:34 PM   #51
lyricthejoe
macrumors newbie

Awesome!

I work at Target, and I think this is a great idea!
lyricthejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:39 PM   #52
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricthejoe View Post
I work at Target, and I think this is a great idea!
I think a better idea is to open more registers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:16 PM   #53
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
I bet these will be strategically placed in larger markets that still lack an apple store. I think Apple realized they need a little more hands on reassurance to switchers and I don't think best buy is providing that.
I think this is the purpose of the program. Places like St. George, Utah is a good market to be in but a drive to Las Vegas or Salt Lake City to visit an Apple Store isn't always easy. That is the perfect market for this Target/Apple program. There are plenty of markets just like it across the United States and a good way to get more channels available to would be customers.

I doubt I'll see the Apple/Target experiment in the Chicago market though. We have several Apple Stores within a short drive and plenty of options for getting our Apple gear.
24601 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:18 PM   #54
mex4eric
macrumors 6502

Canada too?

Target is opening some stores in Canada next year. Maybe a few of them will have Apple stores inside? They might have figured out the formula by then.
mex4eric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:52 PM   #55
voonyx
Banned

Horrible idea from Target, what with Apple dropping the ball recently, and their end being near and all...
voonyx is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #56
designstemplate
macrumors newbie

I bet most of the the apple will open shop in target stores that are in major cities that already have an apple store. I personally think they need to target smaller cities.
designstemplate is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #57
linux2mac
macrumors 65816

I am a fan of Target. Worst Buy, I mean Best Buy not so much.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #58
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
Good luck trying to get your average Target customer to drop $2000 on a MBP!
I shop at target and own a 17" MBP ...

now what, dumbass? ....
Doc750 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #59
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
Hopefully this means they are abandoning the downward spiral that is Best Buy.
Why downvote topmounter? BB as you see it today will not exist in 5 years. Their business model has long since left the building.
noisycats is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:38 PM   #60
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
Hopefully they will have authentic Apple employees and not Target employees running the place. You'll remember what ChumpUSA did to the Apple stuff there...
Do you still get spam from CompUSA - practically the twin of Tiger?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Buying doggy treats and an iPad under the same roof sounds great!
... unless it is like every time I thought about buying an iPad but Target never had any decent / large capacity models.
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:54 PM   #61
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
Well Target currently does sell Apple products, as well as they do other consumer electronics. Among those brands are Canon and Nikon, which both sell incredibly high end professional equipment, but, not at Target (or Best Buy for that matter). I doubt these Target stores will be selling Mac Pro desktops, or what's left of their other professional level equipment / software.
The more popular Apple merch will be sold at Target stores - just as in MicroCenter and Best Buy. Mac Pro - no. iMac - yes. They already sell iPads at Target, but their stock is too limited.
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #62
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Isn't Target a WalMart wannabe? Lots of the same products at somewhat higher prices?
AppleScruff1 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:19 PM   #63
sysiphus
macrumors 6502a

Always a good thing to get more retail exposure. For those highlighting the differences between BB and Apple's approach to selling, it's true that most of the BB drones (at least in my local store) know nothing about the Macs, and only knew about the credit cards and service plans they were supposed to "attach". That being said, my own personal experience has been that most of the non-"Genius" people at the Apple store aren't really there for their superior product knowledge, either. My favorite Apple store anecdote comes from when I bought a dual G5 back in 2004--the sales girl insisted that I was incorrect about the G5 being able to take an Airport Extreme card

Apple stores will always likely be a notch above for after-sales support/service, but for simple product demos/sales, it's great that Target's going to help pick up the slack in poorly-covered areas.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:41 PM   #64
alhedges
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfools View Post
I dont like it. I realize Apple is in the business of selling to the end user consumer but I just don't like the idea of apple being represented by Target. Might as well start selling Apple stuff at a 7-11

I am a professional musician by trade and this is like me going to a Best Buy to purchase my music equipment. No. Not gonna happen. Something is just not right about that.
Aren't you even a little embarrassed to be so shallow and concerned about what people might think if they see you going into Target?

Newsflash - Apple makes extremely popular consumer items. Buying the most popular cell phone or tablet sold in the US doesn't make you anything but an average consumer. And I would assume you wouldn't buy musical instruments at BB because they wouldn't have the products you needed. But apparently it has more to do with appearances.

In any event, I think this is a good choice for Apple. While I live 10 minutes away from an Apple store, there are a lot of people, even in my state, who live two or more hours away...and Apple should make it easier for them to get Apple products.
alhedges is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:25 AM   #65
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
Do you still get spam from CompUSA - practically the twin of Tiger?

----------

I see burned out ruins of CompUSA stores around here. Like they were transplanted from Beirut. Hated that store. But no spam.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:20 AM   #66
^^BIGMac
macrumors regular

Best Buy has a "Mac area"... the machines aren't even running Lion. Fail.

Target should be disaster.
^^BIGMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:26 AM   #67
Cheebo
macrumors member

They have to do this. Apple isn't the elite, selective sort of option anymore. When you are selling 100 million+ phones and 50 million+ tablets a year you are as mainstream as a gets. That sort of company fits in at a place like Target.
Cheebo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:11 AM   #68
me2000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Isn't Target a WalMart wannabe? Lots of the same products at somewhat higher prices?
Absolutely not. The shopping experiences of both stores are complete opposites.
me2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:16 AM   #69
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
Absolutely not. The shopping experiences of both stores are complete opposites.
Right. When I go to target I feel ok. When I go to walmart, I can't wait to get the hell out of there.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #70
me2000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Right. When I go to target I feel ok. When I go to walmart, I can't wait to get the hell out of there.
Agreed! I don't think anyone is saying Target is high end shopping... it's just a totally different experience from atmosphere (no warehouse feeling) to employee friendliness (not saying Target is top notch.. you just don't get death glares from employees like you do at Walmart). Plus I usually don't have to wait 20-30 minutes in line at Target.
me2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:29 PM   #71
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
i'm very glad to see this, and am looking forward to it! there are tons of areas without a best buy or apple store, and this will be great for them!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:47 AM   #72
slynn
macrumors newbie

customer convenience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Good news for people like me out in Hicksville.
The nearest Apple store to me is over an hour away.
Getting to the nearest Apple store in the Atlanta area can be a hassle. Here, we've got to go to a mall, with all the hassles of parking and dealing with crowds of mall-crawlers, and then you get into the Apple store and it's crazy busy. Instead, if there's a Target store with Apple people available, 'twould be nice.
slynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:09 AM   #73
Music_Producer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfools View Post

I am a professional musician by trade and this is like me going to a Best Buy to purchase my music equipment. No. Not gonna happen. Something is just not right about that.
What an incredibly ridiculous comment.
Music_Producer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:13 PM   #74
sysiphus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^^BIGMac View Post
Best Buy has a "Mac area"... the machines aren't even running Lion. Fail.

Target should be disaster.
Snow Leopard over Lion is a selling point to me

(But I know what you mean)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:59 AM   #75
EspressoLove
macrumors 6502

10 months in, any news so far ?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion