Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
macdan56
macrumors newbie

encrypt NSString with MD5 and specific key

Hi

i have a key that i want to us and run the key with MD5 ON A sTRING OBJECT

appriciated
Danny
macdan56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

MD5 is a Message Digest algorithm, not encryption. It doesn't support use of a key.

The simplest way to understand the difference between a message digest and encryption is that encryption is invertible: it allows recovery of the complete original message (the plaintext or cleartext), when decryption is performed with a suitable key. By contrast, message digest algorithms are designed to be non-invertible: the contents of the original message cannot be recovered by any computation performed on the output (the hash value).

To encrypt or hash an NSString, using a suitable algorithm and key, look at the NSString methods that return NSData objects. A returned NSData is a series of bytes in a particular text encoding. The text encoding is passed as a parameter to the method that returns the NSData.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
jnoxx
macrumors 65816

I uploaded a zip with source files for MD5 encryption on NSString.
http://cl.ly/1M420J0b1Y2f

If you put the sourcecode in your application, do the correct #import.
You should be able to call
NSString *md5string = [whateverStringToBeEncrypted md5];
Then your new md5string pointer will contain the md5 encrypted version of whateverStringToBeEncrypted.
Please do mind, there are several different MD5 encryptions, in this case 16 & 32 bit..
They are both in there, just comment the right one out (currently configured for 32 bit).

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming