Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1176
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Sir Alex Ferguson does not believe referee Mark Clattenburg used "inappropriate language" towards Chelsea player John Mikel Obi

Presumably because it wasn't in Clattenburg's detailed gameplan Fergie had issued to him before the match
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1177
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Meanwhile, in MLS, the Galaxy scraped past the Vancouver Whitecaps with a latish penalty to advance into the next round of the playoffs.

It's time for the 2-legged quarterfinals:

Western Conference

Salt Lake v Seattle
Los Angeles v San Jose

Eastern Conference

Kansas City v Houston
New York v DC

LA vs San Jose is the pick of the bunch. I'm pulling for the Earthquakes, so here's hoping they pummel the Galaxy into ignominy.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1178
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
Meanwhile, in MLS, the Galaxy scraped past the Vancouver Whitecaps with a latish penalty to advance into the next round of the playoffs.

It's time for the 2-legged quarterfinals:

Western Conference

Salt Lake v Seattle
Los Angeles v San Jose

Eastern Conference

Kansas City v Houston
New York v DC

LA vs San Jose is the pick of the bunch. I'm pulling for the Earthquakes, so here's hoping they pummel the Galaxy into ignominy.
me too! GO 'QUAKES!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1179
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

Quote = Lord Blackadder '...so here's hoping they pummel the Galaxy into ignominy.'

Ignominy? Is that on the Periodic Table?

Last edited by oscillatewildly; Nov 2, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
oscillatewildly is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:45 AM   #1180
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Well just to keep you all up to date, so far in the Eredivisie there has been 24 red cards this season, two player have managed to get two each.

Saturday
Ajax Vs Vitesse which is third against fourth. Ajax at home have not preformed well this season, but they are due for a big win.
PSV Vs Heracles Almelo this is second against eight if PSV win it will put a lot of pressure on Twente.

Sunday
SC Heerenveen Vs PEC Zwolle this should be a very tight mid table match. Heerenveen only just managed a 1-0 win over amateurs of Hollandia in the KNVB Beker this week. The coach Marco van Barsten is under a lot of pressure to get results.
Twente Vs Feyenoord this is first against fifth, but is far more, the papers here were full of Steve McClaren promising to bounce back from the loss in the beker.

Last edited by Happybunny; Nov 3, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Happybunny is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:54 AM   #1181
twietee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Twente Vs Feyenoord this is first against fifth, but is far more, the papers here were full of Steve McClaren promising to bounce back from the loss in the beker.
Thank's for that. Since I have some free time today and may have a watch or two: how is their playing style? I mean can I expect some decent 4-3-3 all out attack?
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:36 AM   #1182
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

I'd like to think Zwolle can get something out of that match.

As for Twente, McClaren's clearly putting into action what he learnt during his time at Hull City so far as the League's concerned at least.
Jaffa Cake is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1183
pivo6
macrumors 68000

HT at ManUtd v Arsenal and I hope it gets better. Arsenal have been awful, ManU haven't been much better. 1-0 for the home side.
pivo6 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1184
2020mike
macrumors 6502

Arsenal played like a rec league team today.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1185
daneoni
macrumors G4

Very boring to watch. Running around like headless chickens. Cazorla is the only true quality player in the squad. Mark him and its game over.

*sigh* Kroenke/Gazidis/Hill-Wood....what have you done to my beloved club.

Last edited by daneoni; Nov 3, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1186
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Man Utd only won by one goal at Old Trafford. It's not exactly an epic win...but Arsenal were pretty poor, and they're going to get pushed hard this season by Everton and Spurs.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1187
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Kiss of death there Blackie, both Spurs and the bluenoses dropping points today. Everton, admittedly were v unlucky not to win, hitting 27 shots on goal. Oh well!! :-)
Confuzzzed is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1188
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

Manchester United's attacking was as good as Arsenal's whole game. It was slow in speed and thought. Disappointing match - failing to finish off poor opposition.

Cheers,
OW
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1189
2020mike
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
Kiss of death there Blackie, both Spurs and the bluenoses dropping points today. Everton, admittedly were v unlucky not to win, hitting 27 shots on goal. Oh well!! :-)
Should of been 4-2 in Evertons favor unfortunatly Naismith couldn't find the back of the net on either one, add on poor defending and relaxed back field mentality and you get today's result. Should of been 3 but 1 is better then none.
2020mike is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1190
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

The final whistle has just gone.

Ajax 0 Vs 2 Vitesse.

Ajax once so invincible at home, have become mere mortals this season. 50,000 watched as Vitesse played Ajax off the field, Ajax could hardly string one pass together. Vitesse's Bony scored with a long distance shot, on 38 minutes. Ajax's players were given a whistle concert at half time by their own supporters.
Early in the second half Bony again scored this time with a header, Ajax had just no real answer, they looked so very different to the team that beat Manchester City. Even when Ajax had the ball they did not look like scoring.

PSV 4 Vs 0 Heracles Almelo

PSV played a very workman like match, they kept the ball and built chance after chance. By half time it was two goals, first for Mertens the second goal from Narsingh, was a moment of flair. In the second half Hercerles was competly outclassed, plus they lost a player to the by now normal red card (2x Yellow) Quansah. PSV scored again via Strootman and Matavz, by this time the score could have been eight.

This result puts a great amount of pressure on Twente
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:16 AM   #1191
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

the mighty wednesday win!
dumbarton wins!

Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1192
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Just finished here.

Herenveen 2 Vs 1 PEC Zwolle.

For 25000 spectators saw Heerenveen win only their third match of the season. It was by no means a great game, Heerenveen had the better of the play but created no real chances. Half way in the first half Heerenveen scored via Alfred Finnbogason. PEC was lucky to keep a player on the pitch, when Joey van den Berg handles the ball in his own penalty area, but the referee didn't see it. In the second half PEC made more of a match of it, most of the play was in the mid field, it was at times quite bad tempered, 35 free kicks, and five yellow cards. Late in the second half Daniel de Ritter scored for Heerenveen and it looked all over. PEC didn't give up and got a late penalty, via the same Joey van der Berg in the dying moments of the game.

Twente 3 Vs 0 Feyenoord

Well as promised Twente came out at the start and meant business, Nacer Chadli scored within 9 mins, then Luc Castaignos put a second on the board at 17mins. Twente was dominate in the mid field and Feyenoord looked very fragile. The second half Feyenoord were more agressive, but could not make their final ball count. Twente scored late in the second half, from a free kick. Feyenoord were just not strong enough, and Twente was never going to underestimate another team so soon after the defeat in the cup match.

The game was red card free.

Twente are back to being top of the Eredivise again.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1193
twietee
macrumors 68030

Strange game so far. Newcastle quite boring - Liverpool ain't much more threatening - but those two goals >WOW< "try doing that at home"

----------

Ok, I'll take it back. Suarez should have had two assists at this moment, yet he has none. He's missing one of his kind.
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1194
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

The threadbare nature of Liverpool's attack could not possibly be more blindingly obvious. The owners failed to secure a strike partner for Suarez and we are suffering as a result.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1195
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

All pretty football but no end result due to lack or cutting edge
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1196
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

On other matters, apparently Clattenburg said "I don't give a monkeys mate, go away". No doubt CFC were hard done to by some of his decisions but going through with an official complaint on the hear-say of a Brazilian footballer, less than 6 months in the UK (Ramires)?!!! Football is very depressing at times

Last edited by Confuzzzed; Nov 5, 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1197
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
On other matter, apparently Clattenburg said "I don't give a monkeys mate, go away". No doubt CFC were hard done to by some of his decisions but going through with an official complaint on the hear-say of a Brazilian footballer, less than 6 months in the UK (Ramires)?!!! Football is very depressing at times
Interesting if true. It is a very, very serious accusation to make and if Chelsea are wrong it's going to look pretty bad.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1198
daneoni
macrumors G4

Always had a feeling Clattenburg didn't do anything wrong.

If true Chelsea have put themselves in an embarrassing situation...again.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:34 AM   #1199
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
I'd like to think Zwolle can get something out of that match.

As for Twente, McClaren's clearly putting into action what he learnt during his time at Hull City – so far as the League's concerned at least.
I read this and I know you wrote it with a winking eye, and I do know that Steve McClaren has a history in England. Here in the Netherlands he is seen rather differently, he is one of a select few, namely manager of a Netherlands champion team outside the big three of the Eredivisie.

The Netherlands has only had Professional Football since 1954-55

The first time there was an Eredivisie was 1956-57.

This list illustrates the winners since 1956, as you can see only five other teams have broken the hold that the big three have on this championship.
And to that that DOS won it in 1957-58, Sparta in 1958-59, DWS in 1963-64. We had to wait untill 1980-81 for another team to win AZ67, and then nearly thirty years till AZ67 did it again. Twente winners in 2009-10, this is what puts Steve's career here on a different level here.

I see your avatar did you ever have a Subbuteo set or play the game?

I had a set in the 60s, my friend played quite a few games on his mothers dinning room table (It was bigger than other tables)

We painted the figures to the colours of the two local amateur teams.

Last edited by Happybunny; Nov 5, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Happybunny is offline   1
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1200
twietee
macrumors 68030

Steve McLaren is that umbrella-dude, right? He had a rather sad appearance in Germany at Wolfsburg, but that doesn't mean a lot as the notorious D. Hoeness was still in charge of the management (and Magath had just left, leaving the usual 40+ players behind) and, since I know this guy from his turbulent times at Hertha, I can't blame any coach that had to work 'with' him.

That said and looking at your interesting table: Go Twente, Go Twente!

(is there a cooler way to express these feelings in Dutch, Happybunny?)

----------

Hup Twente Hup!
twietee is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion