Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
TheDareDevil
macrumors newbie

Automatically convert and import videos into iTunes

While waiting for the real heroes to come out with an AppleTV 3 jailbreak, I started looking around for alternatives. My goal was simple: I wanted to be able to play all of my movies (located on a LAN server) on my AppleTV3.

To do so, i needed to convert all my movies to .mp4, import them into iTunes and constantly repeat this process to keep the library up to date. Yurk! Lazy as i am, i ended up writing a small application (iWatch) to do it for me. It:

1) Watches a number of folders (no limit, can be spread across drives).
2) On change:
a) Imports compitable .mp4 files into the iTunes library.
b) Converts other video files to .mp4 (using HBs AppleTV 3 preset) and adds them to the iTunes library on completion.

My question is now, if there is any similar (free) solution available already? If there is, i'll just let iWatch live a quiet life on my server - otherwise I thought about sharing
TheDareDevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
TheDareDevil
macrumors newbie

800 views, no comments?

Is that a:

1) No solution exists, or
2) Your solution is not useful

TheDareDevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
LVARTANO
macrumors newbie

TheDareDevil: Instead of converting all my movies to MP4's, I found an alternative to watch my movies / TV shows using my Apple TV 3. You do however need another iDevice such as iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. And, you will need to purchase an app called Air Video. With Air Video you can connect to your server(s) and play the movie on your iDevice. While playing use airplay to transfer the movie on your TV via the ATV3. It is extremely easy and failry good quality . I play avi's/MKV's/MP4's mostly.

It certainly beats converting.

Let me know if it works out for you.
LVARTANO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Phil22
macrumors member

Your solution is very useful except I use the High profile preset with a few minor tweaks for my Bluray rips.
Phil22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater