Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
People complain about sold numbers not broken down.
How about the other companies that only give out shipped numbers. Even worse. 3 million in a few days is still a pretty good number in my opinion.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I agree...some people just don't see the big picture.

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!

The iPad can do that but first, I'd like for you to explain the experience of watching a movie with half of an already split of the 9.7" screen covered by a keyboard while you type an iMessage...

The way Apple deals with the kind of multi-tasking that does work with 2 apps being actively used at the same time is that you can listen to music in the background as you browse the internet for example. With Netflix, you can in fact watch a movie while you iMessage. AirPlay takes care of that. You can play a movie in the Netflix app, AirPlay it to a screen that you can see without keyboards in the way and then switch to iMessage and your movie continues to play.

People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of other tablets for those people.

Last edited:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder how many the Surface tablet sold.

I thought the same thing as well.

AppleInsider says the 16 GB version is the most popular. Considering it's the least expensive model, I can understand. However, I work in a school district that's considering going 1:1 with iPads. If we do go 1:1, regardless of whether we get the full sized or mini iPad, I hope we get at least 32 GB. The teachers like taking videos with them. Videos usually take up quite a bit of space. We had someone come in & do a presentation to the kids last week. Took a video of it on my iPhone. Just shy of an hour long and took over 7.5 GBs. Plus, with all the apps we have, 16 GB would fill up really quickly.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.

..so, it's this a failure?

You must agree then that apple did miss the street target too.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Nice to hear they sold a bunch, I am one of the happy mini owners, my guess is it is more mini's then iPad 4 since most users probably did not upgrade from the 3 to 4 and apple has opened up a new customer base with the smaller model.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.

While being able to multitask like that can be useful, I also find that it could be a distraction. As I've said in a number of threads, I work at a school. It's difficult to keep kids on task when they could text or watch videos when they're supposed to be writing. Fortunately, with iOS, you can set iPads to only one app.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
..so, it's this a failure?

You must agree then that apple did miss the street target too.

I didn't say it's a failure. I just said they didn't sell out. One can easily obtain a Mini today by just walking into the store and buying one, which I don't think can be said of the iPhone 5.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
far more demand for the mini than supply. I can't find any round here, asked friends from out of town to stop by store and they are sold out. Maybe by Christmas I will have my mini :(

I may have to oder from the Apple site

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!

Don't worry... the iPad will have that soon no doubt... then you can all crai....

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
3 millions sold, that's two models combined...pretty horrible compared to the other apple product releases

Hmm. The iPad starts at $499 and the mini at $329.

The iPhone starts at $199.

Do you see a difference? The iPhone is a lot cheaper, so it will probably sell more!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine.
The ability to see more than one app at once is common on almost all computers, and it does not denote, in and of itself, a negative user experience.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
I didn't say it's a failure. I just said they didn't sell out. One can easily obtain a Mini today by just walking into the store and buying one, which I don't think can be said of the iPhone 5.

Sorry, no -- at least in my area: bought an iPhone 5 yesterday at one of the Nashville Apple stores with no trouble at all.

In contrast, they had only had the white 32 GB iPad mini available, and stock was running low yesterday afternoon.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
People also forget profit share sth that is more important on tablets cause those cheap plastic androids are sold subsidized! :apple:

Talking only about market share is pointless.....

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Particularly impressive seeing as how only the wi-fi models are available at this time. Anyone that doesn't find 3 million sold in 3 days as a total success either simply has their head buried in the sand and/or hates Apple.
This! And on top of that, some people probably are waiting on the LTE model. Last time I checked, no other tablet was selling 3 million in a few days during their first week.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
And how many Microsoft Surface tablets, Mr Steve Ballmer?

and I still can't figure out how to manage my iphone from my iPad. I can't figure out how to plug my phone into my ipad and sync all of my music from iTunes on my iPad onto my phone. Can you help me?

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Do we really need a break down? No.

Is the mini cannibalizing the larger iPad? I don't think so. I myself purchased 2 mini's. Was I planning in purchasing a larger iPad Nope! So there are two mini's that didn't take away sales from its larger counterpart. Many of the people I talked to in the stores also mentioned they are adding the mini to the rest of the iPads own. So from my experience many of the people I talked with wouldn't have purchased the newer iPad 4 but they did purchase the mini and it wasn't to replace the larger iPad it was to complement it. The smaller size defined makes it more portable for many people.
I for one still have my iPad 3 but for me the mini is used mailmy for work due to its more portable and the smaller size is fantastic in the cockpit. I use my iPads 6-8 hours a day for work and the mini replaces the iPad 3 in my work environment. Great little product and what a great size and screen. It must suck to have poor eyesight and need a retina display to use a device.
Love the mini and glad to see Apple selling lots of them. #

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Combing sales figures, rather than splitting them up, says they're trying to make the amount of sales of the iPad Mini or the iPad 4th generation look, or both, appear better than what they are. I'm not saying it's a "failure," which it isn't, but I think the sales of both were far below what Apple was expecting.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The ability to see more than one app at once is common on almost all computers, and it does not denote, in and of itself, a negative user experience.

A computer generally has a bigger than 9.7" screen that doesn't require that half the screen be occupied by an on screen keyboard.

I can think of very few reasons to have multiple apps on screen at the same time but I'm willing to hear yours and discuss. In practice, having multiple apps open at once almost never involves having both apps visible at the same time. Even on a computer, how many apps do you run side by side?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
and I still can't figure out how to manage my iphone from my iPad. I can't figure out how to plug my phone into my ipad and sync all of my music from iTunes on my iPad onto my phone. Can you help me?

The same way you got the music on your iPad.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
The iPad can do that but first, I'd like for you to explain the experience of watching a movie with half of an already split of the 9.7" screen covered by a keyboard while you type an iMessage...

The way Apple deals with the kind of multi-tasking that does work with 2 apps being actively used at the same time is that you can listen to music in the background as you browse the internet for example. With Netflix, you can in fact watch a movie while you iMessage. AirPlay takes care of that. You can play a movie in the Netflix app, AirPlay it to a screen that you can see without keyboards in the way and then switch to iMessage and your movie continues to play.

People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of other tablets for those people.

How can I use Airplay if I'm at an airport lounge? You would need a TV plus AppleTV.Valid point about the keyboard taking up room though. But that was one example...

How about browsing the web, and having an iTunes open (it would show list view of scroll able songs on the side). I like that instead of doing a gesture, getting out of Safari, go into iTunes, and going back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.