Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
PLEASE - put your new mini in a zip lock bag, cover it with shelf paper or don't go out of your room if you are worried. But WAIT A MONTH TO BUY A CASE.

Why? Because all the case makers that have something now have GUESSED at the dimensions and looks like they blew the magnet thing (again). The simple fact is even the big boys did not get the mini in time to ramp up engineering and production to make something that works. Hence, amazon/ebay is riddled with cheap cases that "kinda" work. Last march everything at Best Buy had problems.....

Back earlier in the year this happened with the IPad3 and even the big guys like Targus blew it and had zillions of returns as apple moved/polarized the magnets and all the cases were wrong. I owned a few of each and eventually you got a new case.

Two words of advice, if you want a good case that works and fits, wait a month and plan on spending at least 30 bucks. This 6 dollar stuff out now is junk. Pure and simple...and if "leather", most of it smells bad, literally.....

the drafting tables at the big case makers are busy tonight, you can be sure.....

Last edited:

iSheep89

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
A good thing about waiting for the lte mini is that by the time it comes out then there should be some decent cases by then. :D

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I agree with glen e on that. Now, I use clear hard case from Kay's case for early protection. Actually, it fit only 3 corner of iPad mini, not the 4th one as you see in the picture comparing with the one on Amazon. But it help to protect my iPad mini, it should not scratch my iPad mini. I will use to cover that until I got the "real fit" case come along.

Luckily, I contacted Kay's Case and they are aware of this issue. They will send the update version with anything compatible later.

That is the fact when you get new product, accessories don't include!! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 31+iDmbu60L._SY300_.jpg
    31+iDmbu60L._SY300_.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 5,858

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't disagree with this post, but all the cases I have received fit fine and will protect the iPad until quality cases arrive. The only problems I have run into are that the sleep/wake not working, and the strange cut out on the top-back part of the case. None of these issues keep the case from protecting the iPad and the cases cost less than $8 in most cases.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't disagree with this post, but all the cases I have received fit fine and will protect the iPad until quality cases arrive. The only problems I have run into are that the sleep/wake not working, and the strange cut out on the top-back part of the case. None of these issues keep the case from protecting the iPad and the cases cost less than $8 in most cases.

Yeah, the cases will suffice until updated versions come out, several threads exist on this (I started one Friday morning).

maniac886

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012

I just bought this case and the fit is spot on.

I am also waiting for more cases to be released towards the end of this month. The STM skinny is on the top of my list.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Smart Cover from apple and a neoprene slip case for me like normal. Why hide a thing of beauty!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The post was written for those "Mr and Mrs New to apple" members who innocently go to amazon or ebay and see the junk there and think they are getting a full featured case. ONE THAT IS ADVERTISED AS SUCH.

My point is, that is not true, the fit may be there, but the on/off may not work or have diff cutouts that they guessed on.

Yes, get yourself a cheap knock off now to protect. I am using a Kay's case and it's fine for protection. But if you want a case that does what is advertised in all respects...see you next month....

Here's what happened last spring:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1343536/

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Smart Cover from apple and a neoprene slip case for me like normal. Why hide a thing of beauty!

Where did you find a well-fitting neoprene? I like this idea (I prefer naked back), but can't find an ideal neoprene.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
the most notable item that shows they used the chinese leaked prototype parts is the small hole in most cases avail today on the back in the middle....who knows what it was there for...
67013A51-99F4-46C7-A87D-A62E7FAF511B-1777-000004A279386A52.jpg

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I will be waiting for the BookBook case if I decide to get the mini.

I bought a 16 GB mini for my GF, but she won't get it until Christmas, so I have plenty of time to wait for a good case to come out. I plan on getting her a Michael Kors case I think. She will appreciate that. Hopefully, they release one I think she would like in time for Christmas.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
hehe, really? I'm waiting to see if they come out with a coconut watermelon air freshner before I buy a new car.

What? I haven't decided if I want a Mini since I have an iPad 2...

I said I would wait to get the BookBook case... assuming I decide buy an iPad mini, as in, I wouldn't spend money on another case because I know I would want the BookBook case when it becomes available... I think you misunderstood the meaning of my comment.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
What? I haven't decided if I want a Mini since I have an iPad 2...

I said I would wait to get the BookBook case... assuming I decide buy an iPad mini, as in, I wouldn't spend money on another case because I know I would want the BookBook case when it becomes available... I think you misunderstood the meaning of my comment.

I know, I was just playing around. I just thought it was funny that a $30 case was the deciding factor in buying a $330-530 piece of technology, hehe

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I know, I was just playing around. I just thought it was funny that a $30 case was the deciding factor in buying a $330-530 piece of technology, hehe

The BookBook has nothing to do with my decision on whether to buy the iPad mini for myself or not... I was just saying if I buy an iPad mini, that is my case of choice.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I think Switcheasy did this with their cases. My Nude case for the iPhone 5 broke in a week.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If your case has a hole on the back, then it used the rumor specs and 9/10, the magnets don't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.