Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
noobinator
macrumors 65816

Powergen charger

Is this safe for iphone 5? it seems to get great reviews

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073FCPSK/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1348968481&sr=8-2
noobinator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
jasonbaum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobinator View Post
I hope it is. I just ordered one. The reviews are incredibly positive and there are a ton of them I was surprised at the depth of technical detail in many of the reviews -- so that's how electrical engineers spend their free time.

After I get it and try it out I'll post here.
jasonbaum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Yeah.. are the specs worth the hype
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
As only one of the ports work for Apple products, you could as well get a regular charger.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
As only one of the ports work for Apple products, you could as well get a regular charger.
I know that the ports are labeled Apple and non Apple but I think it's only to indicate which port has the higher amperage. I'm planning to use it for either the iPad and iPhone or for both my husbands and my iPhones together. I also ordered this and will report back.

Last edited by Nhwhazup; Nov 1, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhwhazup View Post
I know that the ports are labeled Apple and non Apple but I think it's only to indicate which port has the higher amperage. I'm planning to use it for either the iPad and iPhone or for both my husbands and my iPhones together. I also ordered this and will report back.
No, it says that one port doesn't work for Apple products. It might work for an iPhone, but it charges half as fast as on the Apple charger or the other port.

Last edited by Giuly; Nov 3, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
No, it says that one port doesn't work for Apple products. It might work for an iPhone, but it charges half as fast as on the Apple charger or the other port.
I received this charger and am charging both my iPad in the Apple port and the iPhone in the NA port. Both are charging but the iPad is charging very slowly.

Are there any wall chargers out there that actually pull in the 3.1 amps charge at the same time? Everyone I've seen says total of 2.1 amps at a time.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Giuly
macrumors 68040

If you really don't want to use two chargers, you might want to have a look at the GMYLE charger, which
Thumb resize.

Otherwise, you could make yourself a 2x10W charger by piggybacking a PlugBug on the iPad charger:
Thumb resize.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #9
jasonbaum
macrumors regular

New Trent iCarrier First Look

I may have just set a record for the number of times "charge" appears in a sentence.

First impressions

Design is nice and clean. The matte black plastic exterior doesn't show fingerprints but I suspect is susceptible to scuffing. For an accessory like this, honestly, that's the least of my concerns.

Packaging is pretty standard, nothing to write home about.

Besides the battery, the package includes a wall plug, micro USB cord, a special USB male to male cord and a carrying case.

The USB male to male is specifically for Samsung Galaxy Tablets. Evidently you cannot plug the original Samsung USB cable directly into the New Trent.

As earlier said, the iPhone 5 lightning cable successfully drew a charge when plugged into the New Trent and iPhone 5. Likewise, an iPad 3 recognized the New Trent and accepted a charge with both an Apple 30-pin cable as well as a third party 30-pin.

The wall plug power supply is rated to accept 100 to 240 volts alternating between 50 and 60 hertz. That means if you are going abroad, you don't need a separate adapter, just a plug adapter which is a big plus. (Note: At least in Europe. I can't speak for the rest of the world but I suspect this covers the spectrum.)

Instruction manual is pretty sparse, mainly a series of pictograms.

That's about it for now. I'll post more after I've charged my phone and iPad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trent 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	375196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newe Trent 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	375197   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trent 3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	375198  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trent 4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	375199  
jasonbaum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:59 AM   #10
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073FCPSK/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1348968481&sr=8-2
I came to search on this exact unit.

The goal is to charge an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 at the same time.

Any more input on this?
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:08 PM   #11
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:

Impossible to tell just by looking at its specs. If it's properly made it's as safe as any other charger with similar specs. Keep in mind:
Quote:
Two ports share 2.1A
Best bet is to use the Amazon reviews as a guide unless you can find more data to corroborate on this specific model. Not everyone's used every single charger out there and can provide first hand feedback.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12
oghowie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
I came to search on this exact unit.

The goal is to charge an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 at the same time.

Any more input on this?
I use this to charge a iPad 3 and iPhone 5 at the same time. Works fine.
oghowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories