Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:36 PM   #101
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I can't answer for NY, but here in Mass they would since there's a law that there's a minimum number of school days the students must have, so if you use up a number of them in the fall, regardless of whether its a declared emergency or not, it counts.
Its the same thing heRe but if a state of emergency is declared they don't count the scheduled days missed against the 180 day school year. Btw its not a law it has to do with the amount of federal funding the school distric gets. If you only have 179 school days the district only gets 179/180 percent of the the funding, which adds up to quite a bit.
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:28 PM   #102
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Interesting factoid: apparently, the HMS Bounty fatality was a descendant of Fletcher Christian, the man who led the original mutiny.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:30 PM   #103
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Interesting factoid: apparently, the HMS Bounty fatality was a descendant of Fletcher Christian, the man who led the original mutiny.
THAT. Is bizarre..
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 48
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #104
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
More weirdness: here is a video of Mayor Bloomberg delivering advisories to New Yorkers. Listen to his rather flat, almost deadpan speech while you watch the ASL interpreter on the left.

video link
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #105
joepunk
macrumors 68030
 
joepunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: a profane existence
Send a message via AIM to joepunk
truth-in-photography checkers at The Atlantic.

The team at The Atlantic are delving into the question about how true photographs can be, and what kind of true.
__________________
2010 15" MBP 2.4 i5 4gb/320gb/GT330-256MB 10.9.2
2004 15" PBG4 1.5ghz/128vram DYING, Replacement: 2005 15" PBG4 1.5ghz/64vram
iMac G3 333mhz/128mbRam/6gbHD

Flickr
joepunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:28 PM   #106
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Its the same thing heRe but if a state of emergency is declared they don't count the scheduled days missed against the 180 day school year. Btw its not a law it has to do with the amount of federal funding the school distric gets. If you only have 179 school days the district only gets 179/180 percent of the the funding, which adds up to quite a bit.
Here in PA this also applies, however the schools aren't automatically exempt from the 180 day requirement. The district has to go through an appeal process which is time consuming, so many just suck it up and make up the days. Happened a few years ago when Pittsburgh got slammed with 3 feet of snow after all the weather people only predicted 2-4 inches.

We definitely dodged a bullet here in Pittsburgh. We are supposed to have rain every day (100% chance) until Saturday, but we haven't got as much rain as we were supposed to at this point. The winds weren't very strong either. Trees down here and there, but that happens during every spring storm in the area, so it's nothing new. I've seen worse storms in the spring than what happened yesterday and today.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:43 AM   #107
Don't panic
macrumors 68040
 
Don't panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: having a drink at Milliways
Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
nice. it seems like the Island can take a beating, and apparently against the odds. Everyone I speak to about it says that it's location in the east river and how low lying it is a recipe for disaster
it was very close. the northern part is lower on the water and there was some damage at the octagon's basement.
the goldwater-north was a couple feet from being flooded i think. but main street and southtown are a few feet higher so there is some more buffer there.

but the problem is that if it did get worse, then with subway and tram closed and the bridge blocked by winds it would be completely isolated.
they really should build a pedestrian connection to manhattan.
__________________
I do not believe in lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
Miles Straume
linky to stonyc's ww table
Don't panic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:25 AM   #108
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepunk View Post
truth-in-photography checkers at The Atlantic.

The team at The Atlantic are delving into the question about how true photographs can be, and what kind of true.
I could of sworn the one with the cat at the very end was real!
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:42 PM   #109
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
well they canceled school the rest of the week. They declared a state of emergency in the county so I'm hoping they don't count all of the towards snow days. I have 5 more days off but nothing really to do. Can't really go into the city. Can't really travel anywhere really. I already helped friends and family in Brooklyn and Manhattan everyone is fine now. I'd honestly rather be working than just sitting around hanging out.
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:37 AM   #110
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Some notable statistics, compiled by Dr. Jeff Masters:

Quote:
Death toll: 160 (88 in the U.S., 54 in Haiti, 11 in Cuba)

Damage estimates: $10 - $55 billion

Power outages: 8.5 million U.S. customers, 2nd most for a natural disaster behind the 1993 blizzard (10 million)

Maximum U.S. sustained winds: 69 mph at Westerly, RI

Peak U.S. wind gusts: 90 mph at Islip, NY and Tompkinsville, NJ

Maximum U.S. storm surge: 9.45', Bergen Point, NJ 9:24 pm EDT October 29, 2012

Maximum U.S. Storm Tide: 14.60', Bergen Point, NJ, 9:24 pm EDT October 29, 2012

Maximum significant wave height: 33.1' at the buoy east of Cape Hatteras, NC (2nd highest: 32.5' at the Entrance to New York Harbor)

Maximum U.S. rainfall: 12.55", Easton, MD

Maximum snowfall: 36", Richwood, WV

Minimum pressure: 945.5 mb, Atlantic City, NJ at 7:24 pm EST, October 29, 2012. This is the lowest pressure measured in the U.S., at any location north of Cape Hatteras, NC (previous record: 946 mb in the 1938 hurricane on Long Island, NY)

Destructive potential of storm surge: 5.8 on a scale of 0 to 6, highest of any hurricane observed since 1969. Previous record: 5.6 on a scale of 0 to 6, set during Hurricane Isabel of 2003.

Diameter of tropical storm-force winds at landfall: 945 miles

Diameter of ocean with 12' seas at landfall: 1500 miles
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:02 PM   #111
Don't panic
macrumors 68040
 
Don't panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: having a drink at Milliways
the real problem is that even areas that had relatively little direct damage from the storm, are in shambles because of the shortages of electricity and water and the difficulty in replenish stocks in stores.

hopefully there will be lesson learned from this and our government (local,state and federal) will act so next time it will not be such a disater.

- assume that this is the 'new normal' with big storms coming up twice a decade and prepare for that.

- it is 2012, not 1912, put all the figgin' utilities in the ground already. enough of the telegraph posts and one tree branch taking out power for hundreds of homes.
there is no reasons power lines should be aerial except -maybe- the last connection from the grid to the house. same with cable and phone lines.
If necessary, give federal reconstruction grants for the conversion. that will put more people to work and improve the overall infrastructure.
and next time all efforts can go where the direct damage occurred, and not diluted, well everywhere.

- recognize some areas are not appropriate for housing: retransform most of beach community into parks.

- seawalls. An extra 3 feet seawall would have been sufficient in most areas, would have cost a few millions and saved billions. they don't even have to be permanent. with today's tech you can have walls that are raised for the occasion.
Again, use federal money for them: the cost of this disaster is going to affect the entire nation economically.

remember, this was a cat 1 storm. what if next time is a cat 3-4?
__________________
I do not believe in lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
Miles Straume
linky to stonyc's ww table
Don't panic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #112
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
Quote:
- it is 2012, not 1912, put all the figgin' utilities in the ground already. enough of the telegraph posts and one tree branch taking out power for hundreds of homes.
there is no reasons power lines should be aerial except -maybe- the last connection from the grid to the house. same with cable and phone lines.
Agreed that all new construction should include underground utilities. Problem with existing development is that there are water, sewer and gas lines already underground and new easements would have to be obtained. At least so says my own electric co.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:13 AM   #113
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
A few million for a 3 ft. seawall? Wouldn't be very long.

Last edited by Gregg2; Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: forgot a word (not)
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #114
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
remember, this was a cat 1 storm. what if next time is a cat 3-4?
With 3-4 cats, we'd all be doooooommmed:



From this informative yet entertaining article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-fakes/264243/
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:17 PM   #115
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
the real problem is that even areas that had relatively little direct damage from the storm, are in shambles because of the shortages of electricity and water and the difficulty in replenish stocks in stores.

hopefully there will be lesson learned from this and our government (local,state and federal) will act so next time it will not be such a disater.
What are they supposed to do? You can't do anything. It's not like you can just build sturdy power lines or something in a weeks notice. The government did about all they could, including rescuing people and acting immediately when they could.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #116
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
the real problem is that even areas that had relatively little direct damage from the storm, are in shambles because of the shortages of electricity and water and the difficulty in replenish stocks in stores.
IMO, if more people had the recommended basic disaster kit (which includes a minimum of 3 days of water/food) ready BEFORE the storm, there would have been less panic immediately following the storm.

My guess is because Sandy was "only" a Category One storm made a lot of people think that it would be a non-event, like so many other Category One storms that have quickly whizzed by the east coast in years before.

It was disappointing and saddening to me to see so many people in a state of utter panic regarding food and water, when it hadn't even been 24 hours since the storm had passed.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:58 PM   #117
puckhead193
macrumors G3
 
puckhead193's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NY
From driving around and looking at the gas lines I'm starting to get nervous about a gas shortage. hope it's better by Monday. Work starts up again next week and who knows where in god name they will send me.
__________________
nMP - 6 core, D700s, 32 gig, 1 TB, NEC PA272W
20" iMac C2D
17" MBP i7
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:02 PM   #118
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
From driving around and looking at the gas lines I'm starting to get nervous about a gas shortage. hope it's better by Monday. Work starts up again next week and who knows where in god name they will send me.
Don't know if there's one near you, but apparently the gov't has setup "mobile gas stations" and is giving away free gas (10 gallons) in some areas of NY/NJ.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article...nning-In-NY-NJ

The article also says that 28 million gallons of gas was expected to arrive in the area over the weekend.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:17 AM   #119
puckhead193
macrumors G3
 
puckhead193's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Don't know if there's one near you, but apparently the gov't has setup "mobile gas stations" and is giving away free gas (10 gallons) in some areas of NY/NJ.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article...nning-In-NY-NJ

The article also says that 28 million gallons of gas was expected to arrive in the area over the weekend.
Free gas can imagine how crazy people will be they are already going nuts, imagine free gas
__________________
nMP - 6 core, D700s, 32 gig, 1 TB, NEC PA272W
20" iMac C2D
17" MBP i7
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #120
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
It was disappointing and saddening to me to see so many people in a state of utter panic regarding food and water, when it hadn't even been 24 hours since the storm had passed.
I agree. This is a major disaster. Some of the people the news put on the air (they always find them) seemed to think that all problems everywhere should be addressed simultaneously by the same agency(ies). It's gonna take time! Be realistic, be ready.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #121
Don't panic
macrumors 68040
 
Don't panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: having a drink at Milliways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Agreed that all new construction should include underground utilities. Problem with existing development is that there are water, sewer and gas lines already underground and new easements would have to be obtained. At least so says my own electric co.
then they should obtain them.
i know plenty of people on long island still without energy. the only issue there was wind, and not roof-toppling winds, just strong winds.
but strong enough to topple trees or brake tree branches that took down main power lines.
if those lines were underground, as they should, they would be fine and all the resources ould be sent where the direct damage was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
A few million for a 3 ft. seawall? Would be very long.
there would be a lot of places that would need/benefit from new or better seawalls. it's a long coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
With 3-4 cats, we'd all be doooooommmed:
(image)
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
What are they supposed to do? You can't do anything. It's not like you can just build sturdy power lines or something in a weeks notice. The government did about all they could, including rescuing people and acting immediately when they could.
no , they can't built in a week notice, but can built them (put them underground) in a year or two year's notice.
i am not contesting the gov response, I am saying it's time we become proactive and invest in the infrastructure that is needed so power doesn't go away at every storm.
this is nothig new. every single storm this long power outages occurr.
this time is worse because the affected aras was so vast, that it dilutes the efforts to fix the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
IMO, if more people had the recommended basic disaster kit (which includes a minimum of 3 days of water/food) ready BEFORE the storm, there would have been less panic immediately following the storm.

My guess is because Sandy was "only" a Category One storm made a lot of people think that it would be a non-event, like so many other Category One storms that have quickly whizzed by the east coast in years before.

It was disappointing and saddening to me to see so many people in a state of utter panic regarding food and water, when it hadn't even been 24 hours since the storm had passed.
i actually think people behaved remarkably well overall after the storm with very little panic and very mature behavior. there have been some tensions, but most people have been incredibly patient and reliant
__________________
I do not believe in lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
Miles Straume
linky to stonyc's ww table

Last edited by Don't panic; Nov 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:08 AM   #122
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
then they should obtain them.
i know plenty of people on long island still without energy. the only issue there was wind, and not roof-toppling winds, just strong winds.
but strong enough to topple trees or brake tree branches that took down main power lines.
if those lines were underground, as they should, they would be fine and all the resources ould be sent where the direct damage was.


there would be a lot of places that would need/benefit from new or better seawalls. it's a long coast.

LOL

no , they can't built in a week notice, but can built them (put them underground) in a year or two year's notice. i am not contesting the gov response, I am saying it's time we become proactive and invest in the infrastructure that is needed so power doesn't go away at every storm.
this is nothig new. every single storm thislong power outges occurr. this time is worse because the affected aras was so vast, that it dilutes the efforts to fix the problems.


i actually think people behaved remarkably well overall after the storm with very little panic and very mature behavior. there have been some tensions, but most people have been incredibly patient and reliant
I would think part of the problem in burying the lines is the water table. Plus the population is so compacted there where is there room to dig new trenches.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:26 AM   #123
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I would think part of the problem in burying the lines is the water table.
I know that the high water table is a reason why utilities aren't buried here in Va Beach, at least not within a few miles of the shore.

The main power lines here are on huge concrete/metal towers, much higher than the tree line. For the lines that run along the street, the power company regularly trims back trees/branches that have the potential to fall on them.

We get way more storms than NJ/NY do, and while it's not usual to see some power outages, I can't recall a time where street after street after street had lines down (like up there, currently).
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #124
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post

there would be a lot of places that would need/benefit from new or better seawalls. it's a long coast.
I fixed my original post. I meant to say a seawall wouldn't be very long for that much money.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:01 PM   #125
Don't panic
macrumors 68040
 
Don't panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: having a drink at Milliways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
I fixed my original post. I meant to say a seawall wouldn't be very long for that much money.
ok, that makes more sense.
i don't know exactly how much they would cost, but obviously places can be prioritized based on likelyhood/extent of surges, existing infrastructure an quantity of people affected.

as far as the water table, i think it's a not the primary issue. i am not saying it's not there, but there are plenty of technical solutions already available. ata cost, of course.
I mean, the US is not the only developed country with a coastline and/or a high water table, but in most other places (i am thinking europe mostly), this is not an issue. and population density is higher then here.
__________________
I do not believe in lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
Miles Straume
linky to stonyc's ww table
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7.1, where art thou? Part deux zorinlynx iOS 7 256 Mar 10, 2014 11:59 AM
Apple Donates $2.5 Million to American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 285 Nov 17, 2012 11:11 AM
Hurricane Sandy Jersey Shore Aerials pwhitehead Community Discussion 0 Oct 31, 2012 08:13 PM
Hurricane Sandy and November 2 Delivery bsquared397 iPad 15 Oct 28, 2012 12:35 PM
Hurricane Sandy MacNut Community Discussion 7 Oct 26, 2012 12:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC