Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.

Maybe in your area, but the Mini is sold out at every store here for hundreds of miles. I live in a high population area.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
And they said Apple wasn't making many, and that's why they were selling out so fast...
What's next fandroids?

The number of minis available was well below what they wanted too because of yield problems with new tech screens. If they had more minis to sell I suspect the numbers would have been higher as they have been on 2 week delivery since the first day of pre-orders. Not a bad situation to be in always struggling to meet demand.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I'd love to buy an iPad mini.

But the lack of retina display and A6X processor is a deal breaker.

I'd feel guilty giving them as gifts, knowing that it's an inferior product.

I don't want to shell out $hundreds then have buyer's remorse when Apple releases it's super duper iPad mini.

Guess my iPad 4 will have to do until then :D

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I am not as optimistic about retina display in the next iteration. Apple is sticking with 1024x768 or 2056x1536 resolution for Ipad. So far the 2056x1536 resolution display used in Ipad 3/4 required 2 set of back light -> more power -> more battery -> more weight -> more maunfacturing cost. I don't think I want an Ipad mini that is weight 1+lb (the current one is 0.68lb) and cost $400 (the display and battery can easily cost $80 or more). Adding a third resolution is a no-go since existing app will look ugly on the new resolution without developers spending major time to optimize their apps. Apple will have to launch the device saying only 300 apps is optimized at the third resolution.. Sort of Android experience. And Apple is holding the line on display resolution with both Ipad 3 and Iphone 5 launch that they want to make change of resolution as easy for developers as they can.. Unless there is some magically software solution, I think we will have to wait for Sharp to deliver their IGZO technology.. But Sharp is close to bankruptcy now.. So the wait can be quite long. Eevn if IGZO is available, cost is still an issue. If Apple net margin on Ipad mini is only in the teen percentage, adding IGZO panel can be a money losing proposition. I think it is best to either enjoy the Ipad mini now and if retina display is an issue go for an Ipad 4 and/or Nexus or Amazon fire HD.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I am not as optimistic about retina display in the next iteration. Apple is sticking with 1024x768 or 2056x1536 resolution for Ipad. So far the 2056x1536 resolution display used in Ipad 3/4 required 2 set of back light -> more power -> more battery -> more weight -> more maunfacturing cost. I don't think I want an Ipad mini that is weight 1+lb (the current one is 0.68lb) and cost $400 (the display and battery can easily cost $80 or more). Adding a third resolution is a no-go since existing app will look ugly on the new resolution without developers spending major time to optimize their apps. Apple will have to launch the device saying only 300 apps is optimized at the third resolution.. Sort of Android experience. And Apple is holding the line on display resolution with both Ipad 3 and Iphone 5 launch that they want to make change of resolution as easy for developers as they can.. Unless there is some magically software solution, I think we will have to wait for Sharp to deliver their IGZO technology.. But Sharp is close to bankruptcy now.. So the wait can be quite long. Eevn if IGZO is available, cost is still an issue. If Apple net margin on Ipad mini is only in the teen percentage, adding IGZO panel can be a money losing proposition. I think it is best to either enjoy the Ipad mini now and if retina display is an issue go for an Ipad 4 and/or Nexus or Amazon fire HD.

This might change the game slightly if true:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/05/apple-rumored-to-be-making-investment-in-failing-sharp/

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

I don't want to shell out $hundreds then have buyer's remorse when Apple releases it's super duper iPad mini.

You do realize that the A5 chip is the 32nm process a5 chip that provides better battery life than the other high performance a6 chip.

----------

Apple is smart to do this. I think sharp is onto something and kudos to apple for realizing it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Im contributing to those 3M in sales because I bought 2 Minis. But the problem with people praising this is that it reinforces to Apple that "We dont mind you repackaging old technology and selling it at new tech prices". Thats not good for anyone (except Apple and fanboys)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
So...this ipad mini thing is just a larger iPod touch?

Aside from the ability to make a telephone call, one could argue that every iOS device is a larger or smaller version of any other device in the lineup they would prefer to compare it to.

With that said, this argument is old and tired. No one seems to complain that television manufacturers sell multiple sizes of the exact same specs other than screen size at various price points. No one seems to complain that candy bar makers sell multiple sizes of the exact same product at various price points. Need I go on?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Aside from the ability to make a telephone call, one could argue that every iOS device is a larger or smaller version of any other device in the lineup they would prefer to compare it to.

With that said, this argument is old and tired. No one seems to complain that television manufacturers sell multiple sizes of the exact same specs other than screen size at various price points. No one seems to complain that candy bar makers sell multiple sizes of the exact same product at various price points. Need I go on?

True. They're all the same devices at the end of the day, but their sizes cater to people's personal preferences. I own an iPad 2 and I'll be the first person who says its just a big iPhone. Doesn't mean that is a bad thing though.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
True. They're all the same devices at the end of the day, but their sizes cater to people's personal preferences. I own an iPad 2 and I'll be the first person who says its just a big iPhone. Doesn't mean that is a bad thing though.

Right. I think the overarching point is that size has inherent value to some but not others. You can decide for yourself what matters and purchase accordingly, but that doesn't mean that the other iterations are invalid.

Some people (like you) get that. Others don't.

sciaminato

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
When I walked in the store to buy an iPad, I was neutral about getting an iPad 4 or an iPad mini. It would have to be a 16 GB model anyway, since I tend to use few apps and keep low amount of data on the device.
I tried it and what made me buy it has been 2 things:
1) it's really portable, ideal for reading an ebook or sketch down a note on the fly
2) it stays cool, unlike its bigger brother it never overheats.
It wasn't a matter of money, it has been a matter of features.
It's an awesome product, and well worth every cent spent for it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Im contributing to those 3M in sales because I bought 2 Minis. But the problem with people praising this is that it reinforces to Apple that "We dont mind you repackaging old technology and selling it at new tech prices". Thats not good for anyone (except Apple and fanboys)

Actually the technology that designed the mini was as modern as they come. Things don't get this thin without a lot of engineering effort.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

guess, so.. but when the 4 gets updated and it is now a super duper ipad what are you gonna do?? LOL

Some of the dumb posts I see on here crack me up!!!!

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
People also forget profit share sth that is more important on tablets cause those cheap plastic androids are sold subsidized! :apple:

Talking only about market share is pointless.....

Don't forget ipads are aluminum and BPA free while android tablets are cheap plastic, amirite? /me shaking my head

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
guess, so.. but when the 4 gets updated and it is now a super duper ipad what are you gonna do?? LOL

Some of the dumb posts I see on here crack me up!!!!
The iPad 4 IS the super duper iPad. It uses the latest technology that Apple has developed so far.

The iPad Mini uses the previous generation tech.

Get it??? duh!

:rolleyes:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
The iPad 4 IS the super duper iPad. It uses the latest technology that Apple has developed so far.

The iPad Mini uses the previous generation tech.

Get it??? duh!

:rolleyes:

actually, the full size is great as a machine but stinks for comfort to use so the mini trumps it there...The good thing is I own a 3 and the mini so I dont have to be biased!!! Get it??? duh!

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
In the statement it's written as:

The Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will ship in a few weeks in the US and in many more countries later this year.

----

As I'm living in Munich, I'm wondering does that mean Cellular versions will be available late November only in U.S? Not in Germany? and When do you guys think it will be available for buying from Apple Stores?

Cheers!

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple didn't sell 3 million in 3 days, Apple sold 3 million in 33 days. Remember everyone that bought a ipad3 in the past 30 days got a chance to replace them for ipad4.

----------

You sound like an Android user, searching for the solution of a problem, when iOS users don't even have the problem anymore.

Someone else said itunes match takes care of this situation, so you are right ios users dont have this problem ANYMORE. But on day 1, android users had this feature, they can use any file manager and send any files over bluetooth or ad hoc wifi network or even email.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Hmmmm I really wish they would have broken it down between mini and full size. I would say though based on my visit to an Apple store on Saturday which was jam packed that its probably a 70% mini and 30% full size split.

Agreed based on my observations also. Sold out of the mini Fri. Orders in store for store delivery Sat, Sun/ 70-30 mini on Sat. 60-40 for mini Sun. :apple:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, but those are initial costs, although I grant that many people don't look at overall costs.

The cost of using an iPhone exceeds the cost of even the most expensive iPad in a fairly short period of time.

As noted above, people see smartphones as more of a need, but they are not, in fact, cheaper.

I agree. But when buying a cellphone, you don't look at the overall costs, only the initial price. But you are right.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
While they say "this weekend" I'd guess that includes the pre-sales (previous to this weekend) for items shipped.

Do you think this counts pre-orders for the cellular models that haven't started shipping yet?

rary

Pockleton

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I agree...some people just don't see the big picture.

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea. Other examples:

• Having Safari open, with iTunes playlist docked to the side.
  • Pinning a Calculator to the side of Any app for easy calculations

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!

Really?

Anyone can (text/video) on same iOS device time via AirTunes, but the real question is just how many distractions do you need crammed on one small portable device. Please put down the red bull.

It's an issue of consistency and uniformity. You definitely need MS Word stylings vomited all over everything with dozens of buttons and fonts all over the place which is the very reason MS is STILL stuck in the 80's and Apple is the leader everyone copies. iOS Devices are benchmark/Spec burning originals with clones still catching up.

I don't like the fact that the gimmicky keyboard works only sideways at 16:9 ratio. The whole oversized clunky tablet concept is half baked. Try working in that crop mode with real documents for long periods of time and see how that limited space becomes useless. Its just trying to be all things to all people. Like the quirky features you're complaining about.

A PC replacement concept with only low-res screen and very few apps? Nice swing and miss. Proprietary connector? Argue how this is all of a sudden great thing when heavily criticized on Apple iOS devices all last month. Its a rushed product and late to the party.

The Nexus? Haha.

I Like seeing the "Fast Followers" argue why all of a sudden:
No Sd Slot
No LTE
No Removable Battery
and Glass Back

are great things after criticizing Apple for those things. Hypocrite Much?

So enjoy your Apple hit-and-miss, half baked clones, constantly throwing crap on the wall hoping something brilliant sticks well keep our own devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Apple was the first to implement multitasking for personal computers on the Mac/SE line, if memory serves. It was called MultiFinder.

So Apple is well aware of how to do this.

I'm in the camp that being able to switch from one active app to another is useful. The iPad does this, as does the iPod Touch and the iPhone. If you double-click the Home button you will find all running apps stored in their previous state.

Maybe it's not the kind of implementation you were looking for, but it's there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.